hello all quick question

Darkkowboy
on 2/1/17 10:44 am

Hi  everyone,

I recently made the decision to have wls, and learned my insurance covers it, I have UHC .

The first step they had me do was call this special number and get set up on a appt with a nurse that will be with me for the whole process pre-approval, approval, and aftercare. Has anyone else been through this process with UHC ? Any tips, Im bipolar but have been med stable for years and luckily when i spoke to my psy she though  this was a great decision and has agreed to handle my psy exam. Im a little scared as my wife had the surgery years ago when i had aetna  and it was a major battle to get her approval. 

Kathy S.
on 2/1/17 11:18 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi 

I personally have not been through this program but did a search and found some threads of other members posted.  Hopefully this will help.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/?q=UHC

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Darkkowboy
on 2/1/17 11:36 am

thank you 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/1/17 11:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I have bipolar as well, and it was actually my psychiatrist who suggested I have the surgery in the first place. I think my mental health has been a lot more stable since WLS since I'm generally eating well and taking better care of myself, though there was a rough period soon after surgery (the infamous "hormone dump") where I had to do a lot of adjustment to my meds.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Darkkowboy
on 2/1/17 11:37 am

thank you 

One Bad Beach
on 2/1/17 12:25 pm
RNY on 11/28/16

As for UHC, I have no comment, but I can tell you this.  It is a lot easier to get insurance approval now.  It's much easier now than it was years ago.

Good luck on your journey.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

Darkkowboy
on 2/1/17 12:59 pm

thank you 

karenp8
on 2/1/17 5:50 pm - Brighton, IL

I had my surgery about 41/2 years ago through UHC. I too worked with the nurse clinician and had no trouble getting approval. After paperwork was submitted it too 6 days before I received a call that it had been approved. No problem at all.

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/1/17 6:02 pm
No particular advice....good luck!

(Just a side note-sometimes psych meds need to be adjusted due to rapid weight loss).

Scott
Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/2/17 3:06 am, edited 2/1/17 7:07 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I am with UHC as well.  The nurse clinician acted like she was my advocate.  She advised me on what my PCP should put into the weight history documentation and made sure I was well prepared for everything (that my WLS center had fully covered what the procedure entailed, what it would be like post-op, etc). She explained that the 6 months of physician supervised weight loss visits could actually span over a 2 year period, which cut 2 months off the process for me (WLS center didn't know this). She asked me to call after the papers were submitted and checked on them, then called to tell me it was approved. 

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Most Active