Nsaids post RNY

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/17 7:02 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Great information.  Thank you so much for posting!!!!!!!!

elissa_hock
on 2/1/17 1:29 am

You might want to try Aspercream with Lidocaine.  It really helped my husband with a pinched nerve he was having in his back.  You can also get prescription Lidocaine patches.  My husband used all of these before he started Lyrica.   They did help. 

Elissa

NYMom222
on 1/30/17 6:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had bad tendonitis a few weeks ago and was going to the orthopedist and I figured he might want to give me a cortisone shot which is also a no-no unless absolutely necessary... I left a message at the bariatric surgeon's office, they said you could take prescriptions strength PPI... I know carafate is given when you have an ulcer already...

I had several surgeries this year and a car accident.. and have found Valium 5mg to be my friend. Never thought of it as a muscle relaxer before, and it takes the edge off the pain.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

CJ On Orcas
on 1/31/17 10:52 am
RNY on 09/09/16

valium is my friend.  Does not actually take away pain... but you don't care.

Djmohr
on 2/1/17 12:46 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

Tried it. Nothing is helping this pain, it is 100% pure nerve pain and nothing is even reducing it. The valium of course helps you relax a little but that is about it for me.

LynnAlex
on 1/30/17 7:23 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I was on an organized bike ride "Ride the Rockies" and was given asprin by the nurse for altitude sickness.  When I told my doctor at the one year appointment, he was not happy, but understood.  I was quite dizzy riding my bike and was light headed cycling on the shoulder without guard rails.  I got to the event one week earlier and stayed at 4-5000 feet, but I had trouble on the mountain passes that were 12,000 feet high.  

I thought the doctor would just blow it off like nothing, but he definately questioned me about taking the asprin.  So, I know it is a serious thing.

I fell off a small ladder 2 days ago and my foot got jammed in the ladder.  It is swollen and it is difficult to walk on it.  I started a new job today, and I have not taken anything.  My husband has some Flexeril which is a muscle relaxer.  I may take one tomorrow.  My foot was very sore today during orientation which involved a minimial amount of walking. Tomorrow it will be walking all day.  I have been icing my foot since the incident.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

CJ On Orcas
on 1/31/17 10:50 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I had a minor stroke in December and my surgeon said the only time I should EVER take an aspirin is if I am having another.  And NSAIDS are forbidden, in any form, ever.  Not even a single dose.  Not a patch.

AggieMae
on 2/1/17 11:29 am
VSG on 10/25/16

Have you tried ice or a topical anti inflammatory like Volterian gel ?

Djmohr
on 2/1/17 12:51 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

We are trying different things just to try to get the nerves to settle down. Ice, heat, massage, even running my hand through different textures like rice in a bowl.

So far there has been no change.

Today, my bariatric surgeon called me to check and see how things were. He stated very clearly that I could take the smallest dose of ibuprofen but to ensure i take a Prilosec every day that I take the nsaid. He also said the rule is to use it for the shortest amount of time possible.

I have not done so yet but if things dont improve soon, i am going to have to try something. I am exhausted from dealing with it an it doesnt allow me to sleep for any length of time.

I do have a prescription strength anti inflammatory ointment but again, that goes to your blood stream and can cause the same problems so I have not tried it yet. 

theAntiChick
on 2/1/17 1:40 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Check with your doctor, but ... my research shows that only 5-10% of the NSAID gets into your bloodstream when using a topical.  If your doc has cleared you for a short run of oral NSAID, see if he would prefer you start with the topical (still with the PPI).  Absolutely do not use it at the same time you're taking oral, because it'll just be that much more in your bloodstream.  But I know my doc, given the options, would be happier with less NSAID in my bloodstream and would be thrilled for me to try the topical first.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active