Exercise question

pammieanne
on 1/30/17 11:42 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Exercising won't make you lose faster... but it's the single most important thing you can do for health (OK, well if you smoke, quitting that might be #1).

That being said... I didn't really start formal exercising until I got close to like 80lbs or something... Now I concentrate on weights and strengthening exercises, because I can't stand 'jumpy bouncy' classes, and only walking on a treadmill is BORING... 

I started out by moving my car to the back of the parking lot at work... then I started taking the stairs DOWN every day... now I do the stairs Up and Down once a day (5 flights)... but all of this started well after I lost a lot of weight.

Actually, the weights only started because I got myself signed up to do a 5K rugged Maniac obstacle run! I'll need a few muscles to get through that in May!

You don't have to concentrate on the exercising now if you don't like it... but maybe just start off by parking in the back at work/stores/etc... baby steps are OK too.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

hollykim
on 1/30/17 12:40 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 30, 2017 at 2:00 AM Pacific Time, Doxie-mom wrote:

Let me first start out by saying that I have not yet had my surgery.  It is scheduled for March 13th.   I know that I probably should already be exercising, but since I started my new journey (I don't like to call it a diet) on September 28th I have been steadily losing an average of .52 pounds a day (64 pounds in 123 days).  I guess I tell myself that as long as I keep losing that I do not need to exercising.   Once my weight loss slows then I will start exercising.  

What is your take on exercising.  Do you think that I should start exercising now even though I am losing without exercising.  

I do get quite a bit of walking done while I am at work.  When I work days I get over 10,000 steps, on nights and weekend I get from 5500 - 7500.  When I am off I rarely get 5,000.  

I appreciate any insight anyone can give me.

Thanks, 

Tammy

while exercise is certainly good for us, I will say I don't formally exercise either. 

I have lost 122# without exercise and have maintained the loss for 7?yesrs.

Exercise can make up for a poor diet . I follow my plan and watch what I eat 

rustimart
on 1/30/17 4:01 pm - Corona Del Mar, CA

That's awesome that you're losing weight. In my opinion finding something that you like to do for exercise will be a big boon for your future success. Also, it will help get the weight off faster and a great tool for a healthier lifestyle! Good luck on your journey and I look forward to hearing more from you!

AmandaB9780
on 1/31/17 6:05 am
RNY on 03/07/17

That's awesome that you've been losing weight without exercise. However, the exercise is going to help prevent saggy skin and stretch marks. If not nothing else, I would at least do some weight training. Muscles burns more calories than fat! Keep that in mind and repeat it to yourself all the time. I've seen the difference between working out and not working out when it comes to significant weight loss. Working out always wins!

Best of luck! My surgery is March 7. 

SkinnyScientist
on 1/31/17 6:41 am

I was an exercise nut before AND after surgery.  I was up and walking IMMEDIATELY after surgery and was able to pull myself up so I could get out bed and truck around without nursing assistance. My surgeon wanted to release me after 1 night in the hospital but I didnt want to go because I lived alone and was running a temperature.

When I left (3 days later because my temp went down) 3 other people that had the same surgeon as I on the same day/time period, STILL could not get out of bed without assistance.  I was leaving and they were still laying there.  The nurse said it was because I was strong (she knew I worked out).

I also found exercise to be a great release after surgery.  I LOVED cooking (still do), I LOVED trying new recipes (still do), I LOVED eating/tasting my food (still do), but so much of my thoughts and hobby time were directed to food. That is not conducive to the weight loss phase. So I needed to have things that I liked to get me out of the house (and out of the kitchen where I would get the urge to graze or emotionally eat). Going to tae bo or kicking the **** out of a sandbag when you are mad releases stress...and it burns calories FROM the body versus eating them.

One last thought. I dont have much hanging skin (just my thighs). My NUT claims it is because of the exercise...something to do with microcapillaries. I have no scientific data to support her assertion but that is what I was told.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

theAntiChick
on 1/31/17 8:19 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

My surgeon said that exercise really doesn't affect the weight LOSS very much, but it's essential for MAINTAINING the loss.  I started off exercsing, and then right before Xmas had a run of bad migraines that kept me from going to the gym, and they're just now getting back under control.  So I'm having to start over with the exercise process.  But I'm determined to keep at it.  With auto-immune arthritis, it's important to keep moving.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/17 9:05 am
DubfromBP
on 1/31/17 12:16 pm
VSG on 10/13/15

Exercise.......I suck at it.

Bigtime suck.

The reason being that I seem to always be recovering from some injury.  

I've had a few misadventures over the years that required surgical repairs....knees, ankle, abdominal tears and the like.  Looking back...I laugh knowing that every one of the injuries was done while having fun with one hobby or another.  They knees, ankle and shoulder are limiting factors now.  I do what I can that doesn't create pains in these areas.  

Walking on treadmill, elliptical and stationary bike with some weight training thrown in.  I certainly feel better when I'm hitting the gym multiple times each week.  Same can be said about staying well hydrated.  It's just good for your health.  

Seems that if I had stuck to the gym as one of these hobbies then I'd have faired better, lol.

Congrats on losing weight at a really nice clip.  That is certainly a great step in the right direction.  My belief is the same as the other folks have described....exercise is good for you.  Your heart benefits.  Getting a big chunk of the weight off will certainly make exercise easier.  The frequent exercise will certainly make your weight loss efforts easier.  Win-Win.

Good luck and keep after it.

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

okiepirate
on 2/6/17 3:31 pm
VSG on 11/08/14

Pre-surgery I did as much as I could, not for the weight loss, but to help me recover.  I had my appendix go out when I smoked and was in really bad shape.  It took six weeks to get back to work.  Since I knew this was coming, I was in the gym and behaved like I was training for a marathon.  The result was I was out of bed within minutes, and four days later at a football game.  Most weight loss comes from diet, the exercise just makes living better.

Most Active