Exercise question

Doxie-mom
on 1/29/17 6:00 pm
RNY on 03/13/17

Let me first start out by saying that I have not yet had my surgery.  It is scheduled for March 13th.   I know that I probably should already be exercising, but since I started my new journey (I don't like to call it a diet) on September 28th I have been steadily losing an average of .52 pounds a day (64 pounds in 123 days).  I guess I tell myself that as long as I keep losing that I do not need to exercising.   Once my weight loss slows then I will start exercising.  

What is your take on exercising.  Do you think that I should start exercising now even though I am losing without exercising.  

I do get quite a bit of walking done while I am at work.  When I work days I get over 10,000 steps, on nights and weekend I get from 5500 - 7500.  When I am off I rarely get 5,000.  

I appreciate any insight anyone can give me.

Thanks, 

Tammy

Tammy

HW: (9/28/16) 369.8 / SW: (3/13/17) 285 / CW: 162.8

Pre-op loss (6 1/2 Months) - 84.8 pounds

M1 - 17.2, M2 - 17.2, M3 - 13.4, M4 - 15.4, M5 - 13.8, M6 - 13.6, M7 - 10.8, M8 - 9.6, M9 - 5.0, M10 - 2.4, M11 - 3.8

peachpie
on 1/29/17 6:24 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

You can lose wesight without exercise. There are plenty here that don't. 

I do exercise. My take on it is I had WLS to improve my health- exercise maximizes that health. I'm specifically interested in heart health- and always recall the words of Dr. Oz-- that heart disease can be reversed through diet/ exercise. So I exercise to reverse a trend of 39 years of poor choices and ensure my total health. 

I don't get many steps in days that I don't exercise- and I'm fine with that. I didn't start regular exercise until maybe 3 months post op. If you can find something you enjoy- it won't seem like exercise 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

April Parker
on 1/29/17 6:41 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Is that a ketogenic diet you are following? For weight loss that fast it seems it is. If you are getting less than 50 or 40 carbs a day, not partaking in surgary foods and drinks, and keeping your protein up, that is pretty much a ketogenic diet that keeps you in ketosis. It's my fave way to lose weight, but man it is hard since I love carbs. I have to keep restarting. I mess up often, but it doesn't seem to affect whether or not I am in ketosis unless I KEEP eating carbs. (I test with ketosis urine strips.) When I start to eat more carbs than I should, my ketones are less. But I never seem to go out of ketosis. I know that I have to stop doing this, because my "honeymoon period" will be over and it will be a lot harder. Gotta kick this carb thing in the butt  for good though since I have PCOS and am very sensitive to carbs when it comes to weight loss. 

Good luck on your journey, and KEEP IT UP! You're doing great!!!

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

April Parker
on 1/29/17 6:46 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

It wouldn't let me edit my post... so Ill post this to add that I haven't been exercising either. I feel that I want something to ramp it up when my weight loss stops. I walk quite a bit at work (a pet store) too, when I work in the storefront, and when I work in grooming its constant lifting and moving in a different way.  When I'm done with a day of grooming big dogs, I can feel my muscles burning. Phew! Like yesterday I had a Great Pyrenees, over a hundred lbs dog who did NOT want to be messed with... took two of us to do his nails...)

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

Gwen M.
on 1/29/17 6:55 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If you want to be healthy, you should be exercising.  Is it necessary for weight loss?  No.  But it is an important part of overall health.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/29/17 7:52 pm
Why wouldn't you want to exercise if you are physically capable of it?

Exercise has a lot of benefits aside from weight loss-heart health, it prevents bone loss, it reduces stress levels, etc. Even if you are only doing yoga-it helps maintain flexibility.

I'd highly recommend adding weight lifting or some type of resistance training to your week. I think of the first 2 years after weight loss surgery a sprint. You need to get to goal, after that it is just a marathon of maintaining your weight loss.

Scott
Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/30/17 4:00 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I agree that one should exercise, but I didn't really pick up my routine until I was light enough that my back and knees could handle it better.  I DID walk daily and took longer walks and more brisk walks as time went on.  Most of my weight loss occurred during the walking phase.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/30/17 5:06 am

Walking is a form of exercise.  

I don't exercise as much as I should.  Some days I feel IIke a slug ...But that did not stopped me from losing weight or maintaining.  Often too much exercise would affect my blood sugar (blood sugar drop) and I had to eat more food to bring it up. 

Unfortunately just walking is not good enough for my body. At my age I found out that my bones in my legs and my pelvic are very strong ..But my upper body is considerably weaker ...Not as much muscles either. So like it or not - I need to start doing exercises for my arms and torso to improve that.  

I probably need to add weight lifting - even so small hand weights...Plus some others... Walking works great for lower body...Not so much for the upper.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

KittyKarin
on 1/30/17 7:47 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

I started just walking for a few minutes a day once I got home after surgery. I kept upping my time for the walks until I hit 300 pounds and then my goal was to run one minute at a time.  Exercise is important to me because it makes me feel good even when the scale doesn't work with me. :-)  Even if my weight loss stalls, being able to run for 3 miles at a time or lift heavier weights or even complete a yoga pose I couldn't do before makes me feel like i'm still progressing.  Even if I go to the gym and just walk 30 minutes and leave, I still feel good and it feels easier to eat the healthy things I like because I exercised that day. 

Good luck, you are doing great! 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Kathy S.
on 1/30/17 10:44 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Doxie Mom,

There have been many members posting weight loss and reaching goal without exercising.  That being said I personal believe in it 100%.  The key is don't think of it as exercising, think of it as "MOVING".  Find something you love to do and do it!  I found as the pounds came off I could ride my bike again, walk without pain, I started lifting weights and so on and so on.  Be sure and take photos, measurements and note your endurance and strength.  When you hit a stahl and you will these factors will get  you through even if the scale is not moving.

Let us know what you try and like!  YOU GOT THIS

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active