Poop issues/hemorrhoids post surgery

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/28/17 3:29 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I have hemorrhoids too - no need for a colonoscopy to diagnose/treat them.  At only 5 weeks post WLS  your bowel patterns are still settling down and as you mentioned constipation is not unusual.  Maybe a gastroenterologist or proctologist better versed in WLS would be better? Can you get names from your WLS surgeon?

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/17 3:23 pm
cmp067
on 1/28/17 7:13 am, edited 1/27/17 11:18 pm
VSG on 03/23/12

Depending on your age, perhaps it's just time for a colonoscopy? My doctor just ordered one for me (I'm 49) - it's pretty standard at 50 YO, just as a preventative measure. 

After the birth of my twins (NOT c-seciton so you can imagine how much pushing was involved!) I had horrible hemorrhoids, including a prolapsed one that kept popping out of my butt! (Sorry, perhaps TMI?) - I went to my PCP and he gave me some suppositories (which helped relieve the discomfort a little bit) and sent me to a proctologist who injected the hemorrhoids. The injections were a bit painful, but none of them ever came back and this was about 9 years ago. It took about 15-20 mins, no anesthesia, and I went straight back to work after the procedure, though sitting in the office chair the rest of the day was rather uncomfortable. 

Best of luck to you! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/17 3:25 pm
Jojo1963
on 1/28/17 9:44 pm
VSG on 12/30/16

thanks for the share! I thought I was the only one having issues with going to the bathroom.

Travelher
on 1/29/17 6:27 am
Revision on 10/04/16

I've had hemorrhoids since my preganancy 8 years ago.  I mostly don't notice, but the have gotten worse since surgery. I take miralax every day so no constipation anymore.  They do occasionally flare up, but not to the point that they are painful, I do notice a prolapse around once a month.  Occasionally some bleeding. 

Donna L.
on 1/29/17 7:09 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have Celiac and there is gluten in many bariatric vitamins, shakes, supplements, LC foods, and medications.  I had to change all my prescriptions to be gluten-free for my Celiac (and also Hashimoto's).  I also had to change my bariatric vitamins completely.

Technically they can't diagnose Celiac without villi damage, however you can still have positive serology for wheat gluten antibodies.  I had no intestinal damage, but my Celiac antibodies are through the roof, for instance.

Good luck sorting it out!  I hope they are able to help :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/17 12:11 pm

It's rough, isn't? I swear, gluten in everything. But man, my insides thank me for steering clear of it. 

Most Active