O.A.

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/28/17 3:07 pm
Unfortunately, the reason MOST (not all...but most) become obese is due to a really bad relationship with food. It became my drug of choice.

I didn't do anything like that prior to surgery.....and I haven't had to do it in the last 10 years. What I did have to do was to get a surgery that would allow me to maintain weight loss. It is not the surgery for everyone, but at a decade later, I can say it was the right move.

I think that getting counseling (one on one) from a qualified therapist may be the better way to go. From my understanding, OA is only as good as the group.

Scott
acbbrown
on 1/29/17 8:39 am - Granada Hills, CA

I disagree that it's only as good as the group. OA is a personal recovery journal and while good groups help, it's not necessary. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

theAntiChick
on 1/28/17 9:35 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying OA, because it works for some people.  It wasn't for me.  I could deal with the spiritual aspect, but the group I visited a couple of times was VERY dogmatic about particular diets and I found the language used very shaming.  I found a therapist that specializes in body image issues and eating disorders, and that has been amazing for my process.  I think whatever version of mental support you have access to, and works for you, is an excellent choice.  The mental aspect is harder in my opinion than the physical.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Focused1
on 1/28/17 10:09 pm

I agree whole-heartedly! Mentally, we beat ourselves up day in and day out, and what do you do to make yourself feel better? You eat! I have to break that cycle. I would love to get into therapy, but I can't afford it right now. So until I can, I will go the OA route. Thanks for your input! We have similar loss goals, we should stay connected. 

acbbrown
on 1/29/17 8:43 am - Granada Hills, CA

I sent you a message. Let's chat. I have  love hate relationship with OA. But it's saving my ass one day at a time. 

OA is the hard route but the most effective for me. It forces me to see food as the symptom and not the problem. So many people here truly don't grasp the fact that losing weight will never make them "happy". Being skinny is no guarantee at all to a better life. Working a program that sets me straight with my thinking and action in all areas of my life is what makes me "happy". 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active