Iron-Deficiency Anemia? Looking for insight...

Kathy S.
on 1/26/17 11:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi ReadyforPlastics 

When my hair was falling out and my iron got really low I reached out to my mentor Charlie that helped me when I had surgery.  Here is what she sent me and it has worked like a charm.  Check with your doctor first :-)  My labs have been great ever since.

Kathy, this works.  Liquid is best but it stains teeth so if you do this, make sure to toss the iron back or use a straw to keep if off teeth.  Try this until your next test.  I take a whole ounce every day.  We need more than the average person.  Here is a site to order liquid and it's on sale for $5 a bottle.  Good buy.  I mix it with about 2 ounces of OJ or grapefruit juice.  Makes it way easier to take.  But you can chew Vitamin C supplement with it and it's best on an empty stomach.  I just take it last thing at night then I have the 2 hours 'after' covered :)   Iron Supplement (Ferrous Sulfate) Liquid 16 oz., 1 Bottle

Here are my iron rules.   Charlie's Iron Rules:

1.      Do not take calcium supplements or vitamins containing calcium within 2 hours either side of taking iron.  Calcium and iron bind together and leave the body with no benefit of either. 

2.      Take only liquid iron and take it with a little orange juice or a chewable vitamin C....iron needs acid to absorb.  Liquid isn't as constipating as pills, but if it's a problem, increase fiber during the day.

3.      NO coffee or tea (herbal is ok) within 2 hours either side of taking iron.  It's not the caffeine; it's the tannic acid that inhibits iron absorption.

4.      NO soy products within 2 hours either side of taking iron.

5.      Very important.....NO dairy within 2 hours either side of taking iron.  That includes butter, milk, cream, cream cheese, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese.....NO DAIRY.  

6.      Try not to eat foods that are high in calcium or calcium supplemented when eating iron rich foods.  IE.....don't have butter and sour cream on a baked potato when you have that steak J 

7.      Cook as much as you can in cast iron.   Some iron rich foods include: 

·        Red meat 

·        Egg yolks 

·        Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards) 

·        Dried fruit (prunes, raisins) 

·        Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels) 

·        Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops) 

·        Turkey or chicken giblets 

·        Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans 

·        Liver 

·        ArtichokesSome calcium rich foods include: 

·        Cheese 

·        Yogurt 

·        Milk 

·        Sardines 

·        Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnips and collard greens 

·        Fortified cereals 

·        Fortified orange juice 

·        Soybeans 

·        Fortified soymilk   

·        Enriched breads, grains and waffles     

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/27/17 3:35 am, edited 1/26/17 7:35 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Have your irons been good for your whole post-op time?

Gastro referral sounds right.  If that appt is not scheduled for very soon, I would ask PCP or surgeon about the iron infusions.

I am 2 years post RNY and do not take iron and do  not eat red meat,  and my iron is fine (I am post-men), so this is not my area of personal expertise.

Sharon

ReadyforPlastics
on 1/27/17 6:59 am

I hope your iron continues to look good!  

Both before and after sleeve surgery, my CBC was often off - specially the RDW and maybe MCH.  But my hemoglobin and hemocrit have never before now been out of range.  My ferritin hasn't ever been this low either. 

So I am wondering if the sleeve interferes with iron absorption?  If so, why did it take this long for symptoms and numbers to actually drop?  Who knows... But my doc suspects a GI bleed could be the cause, which isn't terribly uncommon in the non-bariatric community too, so even a GI bleed wouldn't necessarily be due to my sleeve. 

I'm just hopeful and looking forward to getting some energy and strength back at some point! 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/17 8:31 am, edited 1/27/17 12:31 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Thank you for posting this.  I am learning.  I had my blood levels taken yesterday and went to my record and saw my iron blood is at 29.  Sent an email to my health care provider.  I printed Kathy's info. - very helpful.  Eating a bunch of spinach as I write this.

ReadyforPlastics
on 1/27/17 9:13 am

I'm interested to hear what your healthcare provider says, if you don't mind sharing once you get a response.

Enjoy the spinach!! :)  Hopefully it will bump that 29 iron up higher - much higher!  Are you taking iron supplements too?

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/17 9:34 am, edited 1/27/17 1:34 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Yes, I will definitely share.  Please share your results too, curious what they recommend. :) So far I haven't gotten an email back. My Ferritin was 316, down from my last draw 3 months ago.  I have been dizzy but I have been sick so attributed it to not feeling well. No, I don't take iron supplements, just Flintstones Complete that have 18 mg iron.  Are you eating your spinach?  I think I will have it for dinner too.  LOL  Take good care.  

ReadyforPlastics
on 1/27/17 10:35 am

316 sounds high - but it must not be if your iron is low. This is all kind of new to me.  What is the range of normal ferritin on your report? 

I love spinach and all kinds of dark leafy greens. I'm a vegetarian, which might be why my levels were borderline pre-vsg. I'm not vegan, so I do eat eggs and they are a good iron source. 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/17 12:17 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

i just got back from the Dermitologist.  All kinds of good things happening.  The normal Ferratin levels are 15 - 204.  Good to know about eggs too.  I ate the spinach with an egg this morning.  That is interesting that you are a vegetarian and eat a lot of leafy greens.  Thought I would have heard back ... must not be too concerning.  I will be eating a lot of eggs and spinach over the weekend.  You better too!

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/17 9:02 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Hi Ready,

I heard back re:  iron levels.  All of my blood tests aren't back but the nurse said that my circulating iron is low and my stored iron (ferritin) is high.  I chew 2 Flintstones Complete a day that have 18 mg of iron and she wondered if I added another 18 mg. of iron.  I never did add the extra 18 mg of iron but am starting today. Hope this helps you.  Keep me posted.  

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/17 10:34 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Another change.  RN got back to me again and told me to hold off on taking the extra 18 mg of iron but to ensure I am not consuming any calcium within 2 hours of chewing the Flintstones.  I am going to switch from taking them in the am to night.  Hope this helps you.

Most Active