I feel no change 1 week after sleeve surgery

aba1970
on 1/25/17 5:18 pm
VSG on 01/16/17

Right now I am 1 week post-op and I feel like I did not have the surgery at all...

I was told to expect nausea, pain, weakness, light-headedness, feeling full after 1 or bits, only being able to take 1 sip of liquid. And I have none of that. I mean, I am not complaining per se. But it almost feels like the doc just cut my stomach in a few places and that was it. 

I do feel full after my 4T of pureed protein and 2T of pureed veg but I am not satisfied by any stretch. I have had no issues with eating all my meals nor with drinking all my fluids each day. I know I could not eat a regular sized meal if I tried, but have a sneaking suspicion that won't last long and I will soon be able to eat whatever I choose without issue.

What is going on here? I know I am lucky that some of the side effects did not occur. But I kind of feel like the surgery was a waste. Are my expectations out of line?

What happens tomorrow is the result of what you do today.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/25/17 6:17 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Disclaimer: I had a RNY not a sleeve.  

Still, I think I can speak to your feelings.  I was much the same way -- and I have several points to make.  

First, your stomach/sleeve isn't healed yet.  One of the reasons that they tell us to measure our food, start us on liquids/purees etc, is that our nerves have been cut.  These take quite a while to repair, and until then, we often lack a lot of "feeling" that does eventually restore.  If you look through posts, you will often see people at the 8 to 12 weeks period suddenly feeling sick or having issues with foods that didn't bother them before.  That can be from getting ****y and eating too fast -- but it's also because the nerves have begun to reconnect and we start to "feel" more.  

Second, while there are some people who have surgery and seem to feel satisfied or "unable" to eat things they shouldn't -- the great majority of us are like you describe.  I didn't get sick, didn't feel that "full" and was a bit surprised how much I still wanted to eat.  This is the head work that vets are always referring to.  It sucks, but the truth is that your suspicions are correct.  If you don't work on changing your relationships with food now during your honeymoon period -- you will find that you will be eating around your sleeve.  You will be able to eat anything you choose, but you also have to live with the consequences.

Finally, don't despair -- you DO have restriction and it's an amazing tool.  It's not a magic tool -- but it does give you a level playing field if you use it to your best advantage.  You asked if your expectations are out of line -- and I think a lot of us have felt like you do at some point.  You aren't out of line, you are just adjusting.    

I hope this helps.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

shelterdog64
on 1/25/17 7:24 pm
VSG on 06/21/16

A couple of things:  I didn't have pain, nausea, weakness or light-headedness after I was discharged, but I also came home on pain meds and anti-emetics which I took religiously.  The other point is that at 1 week post-op and on mushies, you're not going to feel your restriction, nor are you going to feel much discomfort from your sleeve.  Those pureed foods aren't dense enough for your stomach to do any work, and they slide right through your pyloric sphincter so they don't trigger any sense of restriction or fullness.  I did have some discomfort from drinking too much water/too fast, but that was esophageal pain, not stomach pain.  Until I hit solid proteins, I felt no restriction at all, so not until about 4 weeks.

I had more "issues" after maybe the 8-12 week time period, that's when my stomach decided that it didn't like eggs or meat.  That may not happen to you, of course, but I'd just enjoy this little bit of time before restriction kicks in and it's not as much fun ;-)

One Bad Beach
on 1/26/17 8:40 am
RNY on 11/28/16

Yeah....eggs....ugh!

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

shelterdog64
on 1/26/17 8:58 am
VSG on 06/21/16

Right?  And still...I had a poached egg the other day and had the gross egg burps for hours.  Yuck :-P

One Bad Beach
on 1/26/17 9:03 am
RNY on 11/28/16

I haven't had any egg burps, but I ate a boiled egg this morning....as slow as I possibly could....and nausea and yucky feeling for like an hour and a damn half!!!

I'll say, no thanks, I think I'll just have a steak!!!!

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

One Bad Beach
on 1/26/17 9:04 am
RNY on 11/28/16

And you're so much farther out than me, too!  I don't know if it will ever get better!!!!

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

rachelp
on 1/26/17 7:31 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I didn't have any of those either. Your stomach is still numb basically. Also, your new full feeling will be different but you won't really feel it until you start eating dense protein. You will never get that "satisfied feeling" again. You will have to learn your new full and eventually learn to be satisfied.

I was convinced my surgeon didn't do anything either. Give it time! The new full feeling took me a while to get used to. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Beth C.
on 1/26/17 8:18 am
VSG on 01/19/17

I had my surgery 1/19/17 one week today. I can take bigger sips than day 1 but now that I am on full liquids I don't feel full so much from my premier shakes as I feel done. When I am sipping them and setting them down to rest I start to feel my done point. I am trying to learn signals now as I am super afraid of going to far I hate puking and don't want to lol.. 

i think our former satisfied may of may of been over satisfied vs full. In time that will be our new stuffed if we take the moment to pause and listen to our new tummys. 

Heaviest-325

Starting W-243

Surgery day-227

One Bad Beach
on 1/26/17 8:43 am
RNY on 11/28/16

Have you ever had a prescription filled and read the "side effects" of the drug.  These are the things that you can be expecting, but not all people have them.  It's the same way with WLS.  Some people report these side effects, but not not all of them do.  

I didn't have much pain, next to no nausea, negative on light-headedness, and I never felt full until I was "OVER-full," which, by the way, is no fun.

Measure all of your food, and be satisfied by that.  You're not really hungry, but your head is.  It's a hard job, but it will get better, and you can do this!

Good luck to you!

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

Most Active