What you wish you knew before surgery.

Lipsticklady
on 1/25/17 4:32 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

I hate to tell you but that bad smell?  It's probably YOU.  Ketosis is a horrible funk -- for me it smelled like dirty pennies.  I stunk for about 6 weeks.  HA!

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Nura777
on 1/24/17 5:00 pm

I wish I knew how hard this journey was going to be on my soul that I was going to change or have to change (still early out) beyond the physical to adapt and become super resilient. 

That acid reflux is very different post op, only had it once in my life...no comparison. It adds a sour note to your whole day. 

That I didn't need to hate this body that carried me thru life so much. I have to love her again, and that not going to be easy.  

Kathy S.
on 1/24/17 7:12 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Nura777, when we say this is a journey it's not just a catch phrase...it truly is a journey.  I am 13 years out and still learning.  Hang in there and take it 1 day at a time.....

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Nura777
on 1/25/17 12:12 am

Thanks Kathy, it's a life altering journey to the end. I am working on accepting each day as it is. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/24/17 6:30 pm
I knew things...but didn't "know"things. I guess living it is different than thinking about it. For example:

I knew weight loss didn't solve all problems...but weight loss really does not solve all problems!

I knew I'd have loose skin...but I really didn't "know" i'd have loose skin!

I knew I'd have some bounce back (DSers typically say 10 % of your EWL) ...but even though mine was less ....OMG it is scarey and upsetting to see the scale move in the wrong direction. I since have taken off the bounce back by going low carb for a few weeks.

Scott
Kathy S.
on 1/24/17 7:13 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

So true Scott!  Thank you for sharing!

odie
on 1/25/17 2:07 am
RNY on 05/26/14

I wish I knew about head hunger.

I wish I knew about dumping.

I wish I knew I'd be dieting the rest of my life,

I wish I knew about the snide remarks and jealousy from family and friends even though they didn't know about the surgery.

I met once with my surgeon, who only discussed the mechanics of the surgery.  I also met with his nurse/coordinator who explained about the tests I had to undergo but nothing else.

I received a 3 page list of instructions, 1 page for the 14 day pre-op diet, 1 page immediately post-op diet for 6 weeks, and the next page for maintenance which told me that I could eat normally, as much as I could tolerate.  That I would need vitamins the rest of my life, with a blood panel once a year. They told me I would never feel hungry again!!

I wish I knew about this site to get advice and be more prepared!

I wish I knew not to get ****y!

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

Kathy S.
on 1/25/17 9:36 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I wish I knew about head hunger.  This is a hard one for all of us.

I wish I knew about dumping.     Sad your surgeon did not prepare you more.

I wish I knew I'd be dieting the rest of my life,     Don't think "diet" think  healthy life style,

I wish I knew about the snide remarks and jealousy from family and friends even though they didn't know about the surgery.  Been there experienced that!

I met once with my surgeon, who only discussed the mechanics of the surgery.  I also met with his nurse/coordinator who explained about the tests I had to undergo but nothing else.     When you pay it forward let them know to run not walk away.  Pre-op education is key.

I received a 3 page list of instructions, 1 page for the 14 day pre-op diet, 1 page immediately post-op diet for 6 weeks, and the next page for maintenance which told me that I could eat normally, as much as I could tolerate.  That I would need vitamins the rest of my life, with a blood panel once a year. They told me I would never feel hungry again!!     

I wish I knew about this site to get advice and be more prepared!    Glad you are here now!

I wish I knew not to get ****y!  Get as ****y as you want  

Insert Fitness
on 1/25/17 4:48 am

I found this site before surgery, and my centre is pretty awesome for the most part. So I do feel like I was pretty prepared. one area though, was constipation. It was mentioned at my clinic in passing, and there are tons of posts on here, but having never had that issue before I didn't really grasp what that meant. Now, It's something I need to monitor on a daily basis to keep ahead of. And it took me a while to figure out.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Kathy S.
on 1/25/17 9:38 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Glad you had a great surgeon and OH was here to help you with your success...  I am so lucky I never had Poop issues  

Most Active