What FitBit would you get for a 10 year old boy?

peachpie
on 1/24/17 4:03 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Fit bit zip. Under a hundred, and battery operated, so no charging. Both my sons have/had them.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/24/17 4:58 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Ditto what some of the others have said about getting something less expensive for a kid. I have the alta but its kinda a pita for me cuz I usually have to tap it a few times pretty hard for it to show me my steps. I do like the vibration alerts to get me to move more every hour.

I don't have kids so not much advice I can give about rewarding him with money for fitness. At that age I got money for doing chores, then I probably did something stupid & I didn't get money anymore, yet I still had to do the chores! 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/24/17 5:09 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I don't know an exact brand, but I would get a cheap one that has a read out om the watch.  So, kids can check their numbers without logging into a computer.

They are easily lost and fall apart. I would not want a kid to have a complex about losing a $100-200 fitness band.  I do not think I would get a year out of my fit bit HR - it would fall apart.  I would get one where the gizm is separate from the band, so you can replace the band when it wears out - also not like my fit*****arge.

I would not pay the money to get the heart rate monitor - just steps and whatever comes with the lower price ones.  I might even get a used on on ebay and if he likes it, get him a new one for BD or other present.

I love my Samsung GearFit 2, but I would not spend $150 on one for a kid.   

Sharon

Laura in Texas
on 1/24/17 5:14 pm

I would start with the Zip. All the kids in our family love the clip-on Zip. Plus you could see how responsible he was with the Zip before moving up to another one. I have gotten several brand new Zips on ebay for $30 (my max bid is always 30 and if I lose I bid on another). The watch type gets in the way or they don't want to wear it. My 12 year old daughter upgraded to the One to wear during athletics and she has the Blaze when she wants a watch-type. She wears her One 90% of the time (she is an obsessed fitbitter like her momma).

I would definitely not get the Flex because it does not show the steps (you have to look on the app). The kids in our family love seeing the steps on their fitbits.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Laura in Texas
on 1/24/17 5:52 pm

Do you and your boyfriend wear fitbits? To me, the best part about fitbit is competing against family and friends. Most of my family and friends have fitbits, so even though there is better technology out there, I will keep wearing a fitbit.

I know for me, I get reward points at Walgreens for my steps. My nephew wears his to get points on some game on his playstation (NBA, maybe?)

Is there some activity he would like to do as a family? Maybe set a group goal? "When we reach a total of x steps, we will go do this".

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Dcgirl
on 1/25/17 5:35 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I would love to have a friendly competition with him!  I also love tracking my steps against my FitBit friends in the app.  I love the idea of "when we reach X steps we can go to Dave and Busters" or something like that.  I cannot believe I didn't think of that!  That's exactly what we will do!

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/24/17 6:25 pm
I'd recommend the flex or the alta. You can shower with both of them. I have the charge 2...better for adults...it monitors your heart rate.

I WOULD NOT ....REPEAT WOULD NOT make a big deal of his weight. My son was the same way......I was scared he'd end up like me. BUT when he was 7, I would not let the doctors tell him he was overweight....we'd tell him he was "normal" ...but focused on eating right and exercising. He still remained "chunky" until he hit high school....and then shot up and lost a lot of weight. He's been a normal weight since 9th grade.....he's now in college.

Instead of offering him money for a certain number of steps. Get yourself a fitbit, and his siblings and do contests. Competitions help me to get in my steps!
ChristineB
on 1/26/17 12:48 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

I had to send my Charge 2 back to Fitbit. It was way too big for my wrist and I had a huge bruise under it, sigh.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/26/17 8:44 pm
They sell small wrist bands that replace the larger ones.

I love the charge 2. Really good workout tool.
ChristineB
on 1/27/17 7:18 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

First thank you for the response.

Well, as my house has two flights of stairs we like to track that info. I do believe there is only one unit the Fitbit One that is small and tracks that activity and does not break the bank. The other units that do track stairs/elevation climbed are way too big for me and are 'spensive.

My husband suggested a wrist model because I had lost my previous Fitbit One so I bought the Charge 2 - it was not comfortable to wear.

I did get a full refund and they also paid for the postage to send it back.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Most Active