What FitBit would you get for a 10 year old boy?

-Flo-
on 1/25/17 12:39 pm
DS on 04/11/16

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea. I grew up in a household where weight and appearance were very important. I went to my first weigh****chers meeting in the 5th grade. The result of so much pressure about weight, caused me to develop a raging eating disorder. I am finally at a healthy weight thanks to surgery and massive amounts of therapy. But part of me wonders, if my parent's didn't force the diet mentality down my throat, would I have had such a f*ed up relationship with food and my body. 

Can't you just sign him up for sports and give him smaller portions. Stress healthy living and balance vs dieting and calorie/ exercise amounts. 

odie
on 1/25/17 1:14 pm
RNY on 05/26/14
On January 25, 2017 at 8:39 PM Pacific Time, -Flo- wrote:

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea. I grew up in a household where weight and appearance were very important. I went to my first weigh****chers meeting in the 5th grade. The result of so much pressure about weight, caused me to develop a raging eating disorder. I am finally at a healthy weight thanks to surgery and massive amounts of therapy. But part of me wonders, if my parent's didn't force the diet mentality down my throat, would I have had such a f*ed up relationship with food and my body. 

Can't you just sign him up for sports and give him smaller portions. Stress healthy living and balance vs dieting and calorie/ exercise amounts. 

I reread her initial post, and she didn't mention diet, just healthy meals!  He may not be interested in sports or awkward at them, that's my problem!!  He already loves and is intrigued by her FitBit so it is just incentive to get him moving more and making it fun!!  I don't see the harm in that at all.  I just think maybe you misunderstood her intentions.  They seem pretty grounded!

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

Laura in Texas
on 1/25/17 7:43 pm
On January 25, 2017 at 8:39 PM Pacific Time, -Flo- wrote:

I think a fitbit is a wonderful idea. Daily activity is important. All the people in our family have fitbits, from 7 up to 75. I hope by being active together as a family, my kids will grow up wanting to be active because they think it is fun (so far, so good).

Do you wear a fitness tracker? I just cannot understand how anyone could think it is a bad idea.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Valerie G.
on 1/25/17 1:43 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Leto's face it...10 yr olds lose stuff, break stuff, lose interest in stuff...so I woudn't fork out that kind of money.  If he's going to get inspired, why no go with a step counter for $10 or less?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ChristineB
on 1/25/17 7:19 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On January 24, 2017 at 9:54 PM Pacific Time, Dcgirl wrote:

Hi fellow weight loss strugglers,

My boyfriend's son is a little chunky and eats eats eats until the plate is empty.  He often eats past the point of being full, and says, "but it tastes so good!".  I see a lot of me in him, which makes me sad, since the last thing I would wish on a child is a lifelong struggle with obesity.  We make sure to incorporate physical activities into our life when he's with us, and we make sure to serve balanced meals.  He loves taking walks with me and seeing the steps on my FitBit, and said he wants a FitBit too.  I wonder if anyone has any opinions or experience with this?  I am thinking a wris****ch type, and one that shows steps, so I am leaning towards the Alta.  

Also, is there any benefit to offering rewards for fitness?  I don't want to give him a complex about his weight (his sisters eat like birds and are stick thin) so I don't want to say "We will give you $5 if you get 5,000 steps every day of the week" but like all kids, he loves money and has no access to it so I think it could work :)

Ideas welcome!  

My husband and I both have a Fitbit 1. For us it records all that we need to have for data. The one thing I really like is the fact it records flights of stairs as we have two flights of stairs in our house. It also calculates via elevation if you are walking up more than 10 foot (IE: walking outside and there are hills). It is calculated via barometric pressure. It is a great tool if he has a school that has many stairs in the course of his school day. You get the benefit of the steps and flights of steps. The unit affixes to a waistband, bra (for a lady) or a shirt for others. All of the data is downloaded to a Fitbit profile/dashboard (as they call it).

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

* Nicole *
on 1/26/17 6:58 am

Go on amazon you can find non brand name ones under $30. That will show steps, heart rate, burned calories, etc. Its not as acurate in the pedometer but decent enough to get a fair idea.

So you also wont be out a bunch of money if lost either. If he shows continued intrest and responsibility then get a pricer one.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

NYMom222
on 1/27/17 8:55 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Growing up an obese child I would say no to rewards for fitness, and yes to buying the fitbit if he is interested. A little friendly competition on that couldn't hurt...

Somehow I raised a healthy eating, thin, not overweight male adult... he always loved his meals over snacks and would want seconds and thirds...He was never obese, but was always somewhat overweight, the bigger kid in the group..... I was of course always concerned.

Sometimes I would gently/nicely say something to the effect of... You've already had seconds... give it a few minutes if you are still hungry in 10-15-20 minutes(whatever I'd pick) then you can have more. Well he would move onto the next thing and never look back...

He was also a huge water drinker. He only drank water and mil****asionally OJ in the morning... I think that helped as well....

Although now I do encourage even non-WLS people not to drink with their meals, I think that can help anyone to feel full sooner...

Good Luck, this is a tough one... a delicate balance.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save