Disappointing News for Me :(

Highfunctioningfatman
on 1/22/17 1:48 pm
VSG on 08/29/16
On January 22, 2017 at 9:13 PM Pacific Time, Doxie-mom2 wrote:

When I got the Feb 23rd date it was the only date left in February and the only one they had in March was March 23rd.  So I would have to wait at very least another month.  I am fairly healthy now, I have already lost over 60 pounds since I saw my surgeon.  I had to wait 6 months for my insurance to cover the surgery.  So I guess in another month I will weigh less.   Still not positive what I am going to do, but leaning towards waiting although I really don't want to. 

This is what I would do. I have a small crew as well and I know that we are much like a family. If you worked some place with a dozen or more people in your department is would view it differently. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/17 2:18 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

You are right, this is a tough call.  If it were surgery for something that could not wait, like your heart, or something that was debilitating, like a hip, then I think the answer would be to go for it as soon as you could.  But if you are able to continue losing weight, and still accommodate your coworkers, then you are going to gain serious points by doing so with them.  Who knows when you might need to call in a favor in the future?

Here's the thing about surgery.  The only thing that really changes is your stomach.  It sounds like you are already doing fairly well in the weight loss department.  Surgery makes it easier in that you won't have to deal with hunger pangs as much, and you will feel full faster.  But beyond that, everything else is pretty much the same - mindset, calories, food you can and can't eat, etc.  

So yeah, while wanting to get to it and get it over with is a big thing, if you can show a little kindness to the others in your group, that will be repaid in the future.  And even if it isn't, it makes you a special kind of person that you are willing to consider the needs and wants of others as they relate to you and your own.  It isn't like you are canceling for good.  You're just sliding things down the way a little.  

roxytrim
on 1/22/17 2:56 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

If the other person hasn't put in the request...don't know what they are waiting for - so I wouldn't wait for them.  I would think the supervisor should sort this out. You could always give up your spot if that is the only solution for the workplace.

Remember most if not all of us were MO because we put everyone else's needs before ours. That always has to change for long term success with WLS. At least you are aware this is an issue for you.

-Flo-
on 1/22/17 6:13 pm
DS on 04/11/16

Since your work group is so small, I would wait. Why **** people off for an elective surgery. If you were in pain that would be one thing, but another month of dieting will not do any harm. But what's up with your surgeon, why doesn't he have more slots open?

Doxie-mom
on 1/22/17 6:30 pm
RNY on 03/13/17

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I have made my decision.  I am going to call my surgeon's office right away in the morning and see when the next available date is.  Maybe I will get lucky and they will have a cancellation.

Tammy

HW: (9/28/16) 369.8 / SW: (3/13/17) 285 / CW: 162.8

Pre-op loss (6 1/2 Months) - 84.8 pounds

M1 - 17.2, M2 - 17.2, M3 - 13.4, M4 - 15.4, M5 - 13.8, M6 - 13.6, M7 - 10.8, M8 - 9.6, M9 - 5.0, M10 - 2.4, M11 - 3.8

Valerie G.
on 1/24/17 4:36 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

How nice of you to be so flexible and accommodating.  Just call the surgeon's office and schedule a date that works for everyone.  They will be surprised that someone actually wants to delay their date, but it will give you some extra options.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Nancy
on 2/3/17 3:40 am - Kasson, MN

You should go for it! This is something you been waiting for!  Sounds like you got a big heart, but you have to do what is good for you!  

Most Active