Seriously confused

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/17 9:21 pm

I am 7 years post op. I had the surgery when I was 33 years old. I am 40 now. I am on Social Security Disability and live in low income. Because of my surgery I can not drink or eat milk products anymore. Be cause of the type of housing I live in and having to buy special milk and food I can save my receipts and lower my rent. Well every year I have to get a new doctors note stating the reason why I do this. So I do my annual call to my bypass doctor and ask for this letter. The nurse flat out refuses. Her reason is I am 7 years post op and they shouldn't have to help me anymore. This is not the first time they have said this to me. 3 years ago when I wasn't keeping anything down. Not even water. They basically said we can't help you. You been post op to long. I feel like now that I have had surgery I don't matter. I have seen the doctor a few times in the last year because I started gaining weight again. And the last time I saw her she said if I gained more by my annual she was going to put me on medforman. That is a diabetes drug. Not a weight loss drug. I seriously doubt not know what to do. My rent goes up I can't afford my apartment. I can't afford my apartment I am homeless. I also am on medical assistance and food stamps I will need this letter in 2 months for them. I don't get it I loose all my assistance. I loose that I starve. I need some ideas or some suggestions on how to deal with this.

Thanks-

Niki-77

ChristineB
on 1/20/17 10:54 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

Is this a Medicaid doc? I am not familiar with Medicaid but maybe they can help you with your situation. You should not be gaining weight just because you cannot drink the kind of milk product that you need. (if that is the reason you are gaining weight). I do believe that you mean Metmorfin not Metforman. Metmorfin is for blood sugar control. Are you having trouble with this? On a side note Metforman can help with a little bit of weight loss with Type II diabetes.

You might need to contact Medicaid and also talk to the office manager for the doc's office for assistance. What were the policies that they laid out for you when you had your surgery for follow-ups. Have that in front of you when you call again so you know if they are talking about the same with you when you call. You should be able to get any paperwork that you need so you can go to the next level of assistance with with your doctor's  note.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Fordtmacrae1
on 1/21/17 2:01 am

Trust all works out for you. Hang in there and keep trying to get that Doctor to participate 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/21/17 6:02 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On January 21, 2017 at 6:54 AM Pacific Time, ChristineB wrote:

Is this a Medicaid doc? I am not familiar with Medicaid but maybe they can help you with your situation. You should not be gaining weight just because you cannot drink the kind of milk product that you need. (if that is the reason you are gaining weight). I do believe that you mean Metmorfin not Metforman. Metmorfin is for blood sugar control. Are you having trouble with this? On a side note Metforman can help with a little bit of weight loss with Type II diabetes.

You might need to contact Medicaid and also talk to the office manager for the doc's office for assistance. What were the policies that they laid out for you when you had your surgery for follow-ups. Have that in front of you when you call again so you know if they are talking about the same with you when you call. You should be able to get any paperwork that you need so you can go to the next level of assistance with with your doctor's  note.

Actually, it's Metformin.  It is also prescribed under the names Glucophage, Fortamet, Glumetza, and Riomet.  

It is primarily used for blood sugar control in Type II diabetics.  However, it is also used for PCOS and insulin resistance even without a Type II DX.  Additionally, there are many off-label uses -- and one of them is for weight loss -- especially in combatting gain in combination with psyche meds.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/17 7:11 am

I don't care my mom has been a type 2 diabetic for over 20 years and has gained weight not lost. I flat out refuse to take that medicine however you spell it. My therapist doesn't even want me taking it.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/21/17 7:16 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Anyone will gain weight if they eat too much.  It's not a miracle drug, but it is the drug of choice for a type II diabetic because it has years of testing, the most benefit with the fewest side-effects.

I couldn't care less what medication you do or do not take.  I was simply giving the reasons that it is prescribed and the correct name of it. 

Not sure why you responded so harshly.  

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/17 7:22 am

I felt you did with correctingredients me on the spelling. I have learning disabilities and can't spell very well. So felt like you were rubbing it in my face that I couldn't spell. I am very sensitive when it comes to my disabilities. I am 7 years post op. Don't you think I know a person can gain when they over eat. I also had a pop addiction for awhile because when I was sick and no doctor would help me that is all I could drink. I was also in a abusive relationship so turned to food. I won't take a med that doctors that see me on a regular basis say do not take and a doctor that just started and has seen me 2 times wants me to take. She does not know me.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/21/17 7:25 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Well, you may want to go back and see that I was actually correcting CHRISTINE B who corrected your spelling incorrectly.  MY RESPONSE WAS POSTED TO HER.  Not to you.

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/17 7:38 am

You might want to put names on it than it came up in my email.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/21/17 7:45 am
RNY on 12/31/13

You will receive an email notification any time someone responds to a post you begin.  One only has to look at the post to see that I ACTUALLY QUOTED HER AND RESPONDED TO HER. 

I am done with this.  It is very easy to see why your doctor will not go out of his way to help you.  

Perhaps the best advice is to learn not to be so argumentative and nasty to people who are attempting to assist you.  

Good luck with that.

Most Active