Please say it will get better?

Erin T.
on 1/19/17 3:28 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I had my VSG on Thursday and then spent the next 36 hours throwing up (or trying to, since I hadn't eaten anything). I was discharged today and I feel much better but I still can't seem to bring myself to eat anything. I'm getting my fluids, but my protein is sorely lacking. I truly feel like there is no possible way I can eat. I have tried protein shakes and yogurt and and anything dairy just is NOT appealing and everything tastes bad. Please say this will get better and easier as time goes on, because right now I'm panicking over the decision I made! 

Kathy1212
on 1/19/17 4:35 pm

I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time.  I haven't had surgery yet (13 more days!), but from what I understand from being on this site and the people on Youtube, it is very hard to get protein in at first, but it does get better over time.  Just keep trying to get your protein in, one tiny sip at a time.  If you're reacting to dairy maybe try mixing your protein powder with water, or switch to a different brand of protein to see if you can tolerate that better?

Some people have a hard time with water, so it's great that you can get your fluids in.

I don't know how active this board is; maybe try posting on the VSG or RNY boards; they seem to be more active.

Good luck!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

CelticRavens
on 1/19/17 4:54 pm
RNY on 12/19/16

Seconding Kathy1212's advice -- ask on the VSG board. I'm sure someone can answer your questions.

So sorry you're having problems.

CJ 55 6'1 HW 415 SW 349 CW 263

Surgeon's goal - 245lbs My goal - 215 -195lbs

Chelle941
on 1/19/17 6:25 pm
VSG on 11/01/16

Sorry you're having such a hard time!  I'm 10 weeks out from VSG and they told me to not worry so much about protein at first.... Making sure you stay hydrated is what's most important right now!  So keep up those fluids!  That's my struggle!  It's hard to get 64 oz in!  Good luck on your journey!!

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/19/17 9:45 pm
Yep recovery sucks!!!! SUCKSSSSSS!!! I basically cursed everyone on this forum as dirty liars after my DS (the top part is the VSG)......and the first 2 weeks SUCCCKKKED. (Did i say sucked?)

But you heal and things get better. My wife did the best thing ever...she bought a bunch of stupid gossip magazines/fashion (people, GQ, etc). She told me to look at the pictures of the people and imagine my face on top of the guys. My face on a "normal" body. It helped me get through the first few days.

It does get better. Just takes time. I didn't feel normal until about 6 weeks out.
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/17 11:13 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Hey! I was sleeved on the 12 this month and let me tell you, getting my protein in has been so difficult. The first two days I was lucky if I got 20 grams. I didn't want it, I wasn't hungry, in fact I felt full, but it is getting easier day by day. I drink my protein all through out the day. A few sips here, and then I'll stick it in the fridge and go back to it 30 minutes or an hour later. I am getting more in every day. I'm still not getting the 60g I need, but I am working up to it the best I can.

NYMom222
on 1/19/17 11:13 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Fluids are more important than protein at this point. Sip your water/fluids however you can..flavor it, herbal tea, coffee or regular tea if you are allowed.

Make sure whatever protein powder you are using is 100% whey protein Isolate as that is lactose free...

Syntrax has protein flavors that you dont need to mix with milk. I buy fuzzy navel, mix with extra water and extra sweetener and itvtastes like orangeade...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/20/17 3:46 am, edited 1/19/17 7:47 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You are  week out of major surgery and general anesthesia - Of course it will get better!!!!!!!!!!

I did not take to any powders that had to be mixed. I could only have premixed from a can at first.  VItimin Shoppe and GNC have ISOPURE - clear, in several flavors.  

http://www.gnc.com/Natures-Best-Isopure-Zero-Carb-Variety-Pa ck/product.jsp?productId=41842836&utm_term=ProductType1sport s_nutritionProductType2&device=c&utm_source=Bing+PLA&utm_cam paign=++Merkle+PLA+-+NB+-+Categories&creative=77927887113109 &product_id=3502538&c3ch=PLA&c3nid=Bing-3502538&utm_medium=p pc&eesource=CA_DF%3A2612796%3AGNC&flavourID=2612796

Also, I didnot mind protein shakes before WLS, or now, but the first few weeks after WLS, having to have so many of them, I hated it.  You just have to get through the first 2 weeks.  (If you read my posts about how badly I wanted a crab cake at the end of week one, you would laugh.)

After that it will get better.  DO what  you can - the 64 oz of fluids is a goal, it will take some time to get there. 

THis is the time to drink an approved beverage that you like.  I still do not like water.   Give me a Diet Peach Snapple anytime.

Sharon

Steph Meat Hag
on 1/20/17 6:30 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Nope it never gets better all hope is lost.  LOL   Naa you just wait in a couple days things will be right.  Don't worry about the protein, the shakes, or anything except fluids. You can go several days without food and you're going to be just fine.  Try drinking warm things such as tea, chicken broth or I particularly liked warm water with a lemon and a few drops of honey.  When I got dehydrated on my 4rd day I had my hubs get me a bottle of Gator-aid and I set up in bed watching some movies and drank all 32oz of that in 4-5hrs and it made all the difference.  You will feel so much better if you can drink, just find whatever doesn't make you feel ill.

Your first line of business right now is to sip as much liquid as possible all day and walk around your house.  It'll feel right to you when it's time to try some protein shake.  Do it 1 ounce at a time.  I got a shot glass and would do one shot and wait an hour and then do another.  After a week I could do 3oz so it comes along pretty quickly.   

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/17 6:46 am

It does get better. I didn't have VSG but I had the RNY. I also have had major surgeries over the years. You will feel better. 

Right now focus on getting your liquids in.

Moving around will make you feel better. If you are still throwing up I would call my doctors office you don't want to get dehydrated. 

Feel better. 

Most Active