Has anyone had 3 weight loss surgeries?

theAntiChick
on 1/19/17 8:35 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I would echo the other posters who have recommended weighing, measuring, and logging every bite you put in your mouth, and getting back to the basics.  I am only about 5 months out, so I certainly don't have a lot of experience yet, but I can already see how easy it would be to eat around my sleeve.  Any WLS can be eaten around, and it doesn't take a tremendous amount of food above your baseline to add the pounds on fairly rapidly.

I have food issues, including emotional eating and overeating that bordered on binge eating.  I knew I would need to address my food issues whether I had the surgery or not, so I started therapy with someone who specialized in eating disorders about the same time I started the process to decide if I was going to have the VSG or not.  I honestly credit therapy equally to the WLS with how far I've come, and believe that it's given me a MUCH better chance of long-term success.

I would strongly suggest pursuing therapy and figuring out exactly what is happening to cause you to gain weight before going for any more surgeries.  If there is still a surgical option available to you, I would guess that it would be the last one available.  Figuring out what's blocking your success may allow you to get back on the losing train and maintain without another surgery, or at the very least if another surgery is inevitable give you a better chance at succeeding with this one.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Donna L.
on 1/19/17 9:29 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

That sounds very frustrating.  I am sorry you have gone through so much.

I have recently been contemplating revision from the sleeve.  This involved me to be brutally honest: I have not had more weight loss because of habit.  The reality is that, to recover from obesity, many of us need to follow a low-carbohydrate high-protein diet.  Period.  Even with the DS you will need significant fat and protein, and to almost always avoid carbohydrate.  

Even after surgery, I believe (both from research and observation) that many people once-obese are always more sensitive to carbohydrate.  There's a big difference too.  Those of us 200 pounds overweight must always be more vigilant regarding diet - that's just how it is, fair or unfair.  Nothing we do can change that fact.  I did not want to face this for a long time, and yet that is exactly what I had to do this week.  No surgery will fix our metabolic derangement; it improves it, however we will never be like the skinny 20 year old that can eat ten bags of skittles, some McD's, and unlimited potatoes, and yet remain a stick to blow away in the wind.  Some of us can eat more carbs - up to 130 a day or whatever, and do fine.  I am not one of those people.  I was also 750+ at my highest.  Again, it is the cold and hard reality of super morbid obesity.

I haven't gained weight, however I'm not losing well, either.  The answer is nowhere else but within, for both of us.  Many people have posted great advice above.  I would consider it carefully.

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/19/17 9:40 pm
Back in the day....my surgeon did 2 part DS's. I was 500 lbs and right on the boarder line of getting a 2 stage DS. He did the VSG and then would not do the switch until 1 year later. He gave me the option of an open DS- and I took it. I did not want 2 surgeries. It was unfortunate that he started offering Lap DS's in 1 stage on SMO people about a year or 2 after my surgery. Just wanted to say that you could switch. Won't necessarily make everything perfect, but it does help negate those bad days. I am trying to eat "healthy" since I lost my bounce back. But I have my off days....last night at midnight I was STARVING. I ate 8 chocolate chip cookies. It won't effect me because I am still logging everything I'm eating and (with DS math) was still in a calorie deficit.

Just saying....not too late...and it's better to do it earlier than have regain and then have to do it then.
Donna L.
on 1/20/17 10:06 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I see some DS patients for counseling - both are a higher weight than they were pre-op.  Some of the best bariatric programs in the country operated on them.

Unless you do the psychological work even the DS will fail.  Don't get me wrong - I'm very pro-DS for our BMIs.  However, someone who has a bad history of sticking to a food plan makes them a bad candidate for a malabsorptive procedure until habits are set and well under control.

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/20/17 5:36 pm
There was a move about 10 years ago, just after I had my surgery to go away from the original HESS method to a modified version of the DS. Still the same concept, but with a smaller VSG and a longer common channel. I'm sure this would not have been successful for me.
LynnAlex
on 1/19/17 6:58 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Whatever you decide to do, please stay on the boards daily.  I read a lot and post infrequently. Even though I have gained a couple of pounds, I am in check.  I take the time to read the daily menu. Then I compare how much I've eaten.  I need a reality check.  A breakfast at the coney island is 2 eggs, hashbrown, toast, and a meat.  Well, to stay at a lower weight, my new is 2 eggs and 1/2 piece of toast, or a protein shake.  I weigh myself daily, I will not go in denial. I feel sick that I am staying at the top of my comfortable range.  If I measure myself to others on the board here and not to people around me, I get a better idea of the volume and type of food I should eat.  I love when they do AMAW and CAMAW which is a challenge to limit your carbs.  There is a famous doctor, either Dr. Oz, Dr. Hyman, Dr. Amen that advocates a "reset" once a month. I do let simple carbs in my diet, then they get to be too much, and I have to cut back.  The secret that most skinny people have is that when they gain a few pounds they cut back their food intake.  My sisters were all skinny, I was fat.  It wasn't until I was 40 years old that I found they starved themselves.  They would almost pass out putting on makeup to go out on the weekends.  I thought they were skinny naturally.  Most people after the age of 25 have to work to keep their weight down.

I have also found that high protein and low carb is a good way to start a diet.  It helps with the cravings.  You know you will want carbs for 2-3 days, then you can start to not think about junk food all the time.  I usually eat protein and complex carbs and try not to eat processed food.  I do use sugar subsitutes which I don't think are good for people.

Good luck.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/19/17 9:34 pm
It's probably hurting to hear what people are saying here, I'm so sorry that you are experiencing a failed WLS, not just one but 2. I could have easily been in your situation, I would have failed with the VSG-my surgeon told me it was not a good choice. He said it was between a GB and a DS. He told me at that time that I'd have better success with a DS.

With that said, you are getting good advice. You should really try to make what you have work rather than trying to get a 3rd surgery. . WLS has potential risks (it surgery after all).......2 surgeries are even more risky because you are working with already scared tissue. A 3rd surgery could be (note COULD NOT WOULD) be disasterous....if any surgeon would even consider touching you is a whole other mater.

You have a "tool", it will work if you do your part. Again, I have an easier tool (maybe a power tool?)...but you do have something that can work! Please please please please please try what people are saying. Post your food diary, try exercising, try doing what you can to make the RNY work.

Scott
Most Active