Feeling uneducated

Travelher
on 1/18/17 8:12 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

If you haven't found him already...check out dr Matthew Weiner's videos on YouTube...he has them on almost every topic imaginable...and he's not hard on the eyes either....

rachelp
on 1/18/17 7:58 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I got absolutely nothing from my surgeon except a few recipe examples. I got all my info from my OH family and searching the boards. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Insert Fitness
on 1/18/17 8:16 am

Holy! And you're killing it!

i agree that you can put together a decent plan with all the info on this site. Not sure where a lot of us would be without the vets on here!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Mandi87
on 1/18/17 10:48 am
RNY on 12/08/16

Same! I don't think I even got recipe examples. Just what to eat and not eat in the first 6 weeks and now I feel clueless haha. Can't believe that they don't give us more. I would have preferred to go to a center but my insurance wouldn't cover it.. Which seems so weird because I bet most people would be more successful with all the information they get there. Thank god for you guys! 

stacyrg
on 1/18/17 2:56 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

That is amazing to me (and not amazing in a good way . . .)  I have a literal ton of information.  Binders, handouts, email addresses, etc.  What you should be eating at each stage with sample recipes, charts to count protein grams, daily food suggestions, etc.  All that information was drilled into us both before and after surgery.  I had to attend classes before AND after my surgery on nutrition and food progression.  It amazes me that doctors feel its acceptable to completely reroute someone and turn them loose without any information on how to deal with their new body.  So glad you found the menu thread . . . the people there will not lead you in the wrong direction.

Mandi87
on 1/18/17 10:46 pm
RNY on 12/08/16

So grateful you all! Don't know what I'd do without ya!

Insert Fitness
on 1/18/17 8:39 am

Sorry you were thrown out to the wolves like that! As others said, read everything you can find. On the rny board, there's a daily menu thread, where you can see what people are actually eating. I highly suggest joining or at least following along.

I can give you some broad strokes of what I was told and where I was at at 6 weeks.

women are generally given a guideline to aim for between 60-90 gm of protein a day approx.

At your stage,My clinic recommended 650 ish calories a day. From my reading on here, a lot of people stick closer to 450. I went with 450. I think the difference is really the added carbs my clinic recommended:

they wanted me to work up to 100-150 carbs a day. That was crazy to me. I followed the advice of a lot of vets, and I keep mine under 25g a day.

you are at a point where you are adding solids in. I was very conservative at this stAge. Only having 1-1.5oz per meal to see how I reacted. Then supplemented the rest of my protein with shakes.

theres no rush to progress to bigger meals, or eliminate protein shakes at your stage.

Of course this is what worked for me, and others have approached this differently and done well too. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

But my most basic advice is: focus on getting at least 60g of protein a day, getting your vitamins in and getting plenty of water (Aim to get over 2.5 litres as a minimum)And start moving. Just walking for now is great.

good luck, keep posting, and asking questions .

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Mandi87
on 1/18/17 10:41 am
RNY on 12/08/16

THANK YOU! This helps so much! :)

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/18/17 1:51 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You are 6 weeks out, so you are not supposed to know everything.  You are getting your protein in , which is job #1 and your fluids.  You should not begin exercise until you are cleared by your dr.  That usually is at about the 6 week mark.  Do you have an appointment coming up?  Dr may also waive any lifting restrictions.

I did not exercise until 12 weeks post-op, so I don't think that working out ASAP is a requirement for good wt loss.  I was going to make sure everything was TOTALLY healed before I started exercing.  Walking, fast walking, at about 6 weeks was fine for me.  Your should be cleared by your dr.

If you have no info about what to eat, call you surgeon and get some.  I don;t think you are as clueless as you might think.  Overwhelmed, that was what I was - but you only need to know what you need to do for the stage you are in, not everything.   

You might also want to post more info about yourself in your ribbon, so people would more about you.

Hang in there - everything new becomes old and you will get used to it all.

Sharon

Mandi87
on 1/18/17 9:29 pm
RNY on 12/08/16

Thanks, Sharon! That makes me feel better. I was starting to feel pretty overwhelmed for sure. My doc cleared me for exercise as long as I'm not over doing it. He said I should be back to normal at my 8 week mark and can start to do cardio etc.

my next follow up appt is in March and they'll check all my vitamin levels etc. How do I add more info in my ribbon? I've been trying to figure out how to update my starting weight and whatnot but technology is a little confusing to me sometimes haha.

Most Active