Feeling uneducated

Daisydoo02
on 1/18/17 7:42 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed.  I would call your Centre and find out what they give new post ops. 

I have the "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" in a pdf if you want me to email it to you, just send me your email.

What Centre did you have your surgery at?  Are you in the US or Canada?  

Any info you can give us to help you would be great!.

Feel free to go over the the RNY forum, we do a daily menu post there and there is lots of newbies, novices and Vets there that can help guide and support you.

Best of luck, its hard in the beginning to take it all in.

Daisy 

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

odie
on 1/18/17 7:49 am
RNY on 05/26/14
On January 18, 2017 at 3:42 PM Pacific Time, Daisydoo02 wrote:

Sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed.  I would call your Centre and find out what they give new post ops. 

I have the "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" in a pdf if you want me to email it to you, just send me your email.

What Centre did you have your surgery at?  Are you in the US or Canada?  

Any info you can give us to help you would be great!.

Feel free to go over the the RNY forum, we do a daily menu post there and there is lots of newbies, novices and Vets there that can help guide and support you.

Best of luck, its hard in the beginning to take it all in.

Daisy 

Hi, I had mine in Montreal and was not given a lot of information either!!

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

Daisydoo02
on 1/18/17 7:54 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

OMG that sucks!! How the heck do they let post ops just out and about on their own without any info!  I had my surgery in Toronto, and although I don't agree with a lot of what the NUTs say & preach (carbs carbs carbs!) at least I did get a binder and post op care. 

How are you doing?  

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

CJ On Orcas
on 1/18/17 11:45 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Yes, how DO they just let post-ops out and about? 

Insert Fitness
on 1/18/17 8:14 am

That's disappointing to hear. As Daisy said, I have a pile of papers from my centre(in Ottawa) . Except for the amount of carbohydrates they want me to eat, their advice has been pretty spot on.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

CJ On Orcas
on 1/18/17 11:49 am
RNY on 09/09/16

And can I just add that:  my NUT advised 80-120 grams of carbs/day to have energy.  I did NOT trust what the vets said so I experimented with adding carbs in the form of high protein bread, some fruit and veggies.  Also little bit of potato, crackers, and at Christmas holiday treats in the form of almond flour cookies.  When I add those in:  I am hungry again right away.  I do not lose weight.  I want to eat ALL the carbs everywhere.  I start wanting to go to Dairy Queen.  I crave bread.  I think for some people (especially MO people) we are too sensitive to carbs and our bodies react.  So gradually I have cut carbs out of my diet.  I will have half an orange every now and then (once a month).  Every now and then I will have half a piece of high protein bread with PB.  But I pay the price when I do that. 

Experiment with your body.  I did, and I think that was a good lesson for me.  But now I agree with vets here.  For me carbs do not work.

Insert Fitness
on 1/18/17 12:31 pm

Agreed, we do need to experiment a bit. There are some complex carbs I can eat a bit of, without triggering cravings, or slowing my loss. Things like lentils, a bit of barley or quinoa. (We are talking a tablespoon or two maybe once a week) 

most carbs in my diet come From dairy or veg/berries. 

But I know I can't have a protein bar. That is asking for trouble! I'd eat them every day until they are gone. Same with any wls version of anything decadent. It just makes me want more, and crave the real thing...

theres no clear formula to this. But I wish there was!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Mandi87
on 1/18/17 10:37 am
RNY on 12/08/16

I live up in Alaska and I don't think we have a center here so I went to a general surgeon who specializes in bariatric procedures. They gave me very basic dietary guidelines but didn't really tell me any details or emphasis on the importance of the first months following the operation. My best friend in Minnesota is having hers done at a center down there in February and they've given her binders full of info and tools so I'm up here feeling like I've been thrown out to figure this out on my own. So grateful to have everyone here to help me! Do you recommend that I repost my original topic on the rny forum? Or should I just go read everything?

I would be ever grateful if you had the time to email me the PDF. That would be so amazing! Here's my email [email protected] 

Thank you so much! 

Daisydoo02
on 1/18/17 1:23 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Mandi,

I just sent you the pdf of the book, look for an email from dd02rny

I will send you tomorrow a pdf version of what my centre gives to its patients post op, I have it on my work computer and I am home now.

Start to read as much as you can, especially here on OH. Use the magnifying glass feature in the top right hand corner to "look up" topics that you need to know.

Such as "3 week stall", "pooping problems" "macros" etc.

Come by tomorrow on the RNY forum and check out our "What's on the Menu today RNYers" introduce yourself and get to know people. Everyone there awesome and happy to help out!

Good luck and PM me or email me if you have any questions!  GOOD LUCK!  You got this!

Daisy

Mandi87
on 1/18/17 9:05 pm
RNY on 12/08/16

Thank you so much! Cannot tell you what it means to me :)

Most Active