New to Rny

Mel_RNY
on 1/17/17 10:37 am

I just recently went to an information session about gastric bypass surgery.  I was interested in getting the VSG but I found out my healthcare doesn't generally cover the sleeve unless the Rny is ruled out, as the Rny is the "gold standard" so now I'm researching the Rny and would like any helpful information.  Pros and cons, the good, the bad and the ugly.  Also what made you choose the Rny over the Sleeve.

Travelher
on 1/17/17 10:48 am
Revision on 10/04/16

i chose rny because it is the only one with real long term results.  also I was a revision from a band and I didn't want to risk reflux with the sleeve.  1 revision was one too many for me, thanks. 

I'm 3.5 months post op and feel great.  i use the vitamin patches so vitamins are a breeze. recovery was easier than recovery from the band so that was surprising.  

I had no complications.  am getting my protein and water in and up to between 800-950 calories a day.  Hard to think of a downside. 

I will say my biggest hesitation was dumping.  I love higher fat foods like salmon and avocado.  i was worried this would be an issue post op and it isn't.  I have had a bite of my husbands dessert but not experimented with sugar beyond that.  I have dumped but it was because i chugged  my protein shake instead of sipping...totally controllable and I'll not do that again.  

that is pretty much it for me. 

Mel_RNY
on 1/17/17 10:55 am

Thanks so much for the info and I was a little concerned with the sleeve due to that I already have acid reflux, I wasn't sure if it would continue or not with the sleeve, I've heard for some it gets worse and for others it disappears and I definitely only want to do this once!  it sounds like you are doing great.  That is what  I like to hear.

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/17 10:49 am - CA

Hi Mel, and welcome to OH!   

There is an RNY forum where you can also post this, it is located here     More RNY members interact over there and reading through some of the threads may help you with your research. 

I can answer your question here, for me it was simple.......Choices in 2001 were DS, Lapband and RNY.   I was not a volume eater, it was  more what I was eating.  So, I wanted the RNY component of malabsorption and more specifically, dumping.   I can honestly say that it is the dumping aspect (once you have done it, you won't want to do it again) that keeps me from certain foods.   

With the RNY, I have portion control, I have a tool that if, I eat too much fat or something high in sugar, I have adverse affects and I chose not to.  It has helped me through my journey and helped me to maintain up until about 2-3 years ago.  I am now working on losing my regain and I know that my tool still works.   

You do have to take vitamins and have labs drawn regularly to ensure your vitamin levels are within normal limits and this does go beyond your initial 18-24 mos out, this is for life.  

I hope that this info is somewhat helpful.  

Good luck,

Nik 

Mel_RNY
on 1/17/17 10:56 am

Thanks so much for the info Nik and I will definitely check out the RNY forum 

Kathy S.
on 1/17/17 10:52 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome Mel

Here are some links to help with learning about gastric bypass.  Also come hang with us on the RNY forum, great support and information.

• ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS INFORMATION

If you need help with anything let me know

Kathy

ObesityHelp

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Mel_RNY
on 1/17/17 10:57 am

Thanks so much for the links for the RNY I will definitely check them out and check out the RNY forum

Teena D.
on 1/17/17 7:20 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Fast fingers Kathy!

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Kathy S.
on 1/17/17 7:41 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

One Bad Beach
on 1/17/17 11:08 am
RNY on 11/28/16

I asked this same question when my surgeon told me that we would make the decision after I had my initial EGD.  There was a lady that told me that she got a revision from VSG to RNY because of major reflux issues.  Fast forward about two weeks, the results of my EGD were that I had "Phase III Erosion" or something like that at the bottom of my esophagus.  Surgeon told me that he could do a little something that would help with the reflux if I really wanted VSG.  

I asked him how efficient it was...what was the long term success of this little maneuver?  He said the odds are good, really good for medical statistics...80%.  Not good enough statistics for me.  I chose RNY.  I'm seven weeks post-op, and I don't regret my decision, and I never had "buyers remorse" either.

Good luck on your journey! 

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

Most Active