Aunt Flo

Evenya
on 1/15/17 2:50 pm
DS on 11/15/16

My Aunt Flo unexpectedly paid me a visit over a week ago and she hasn't left since.  She's been laying it heavy on me just about every day and she's not giving me a clue as to when she'll be leaving. She usually visits for 4 days and then leaves.  And she only lays out on heavy for like a day or two. I am on an 84 day cycle with my birth control pills prescribed by my PCP. My question is, do I talk to my bariatric team or my PCP?

theAntiChick
on 1/15/17 3:01 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I'd say PCP.  Your bariatric team is unlikely to want to get in the middle of ongoing medication regimens.

Remember that as you're losing weight, your fat cells are dumping stored estrogen in large amounts.  Accounts for some people's extreme moodiness and crying jags like you're pregnant, amiright?  And anytime one of the primary female hormones (estrogen/progesterone) dump, the reproductive system is going to go a little nuts.

I've got an IUD and haven't had Aunt Flo visit for going on 10 years.  I'm likely perimenopausal, so I thought I might be done with it for good.  No suck luck.  I'm not having heavy issues, but it's certainly not been my norm.

So I'd say let your PCP know.  They may just want to wait it out, or do something to give some relief and then hope it regulates itself out.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Evenya
on 1/15/17 3:10 pm
DS on 11/15/16

You haven't had any problems with your iud? I've heard so many horror stories about them.  My husband and his family are encouraging me to get an ablation. His mom was an obgyn nurse for 35 years.  I also heard horror stories about ablations too. I'm thinking of contacting my doctor on Wednesday if my period is still going on by then. 

theAntiChick
on 1/15/17 3:26 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I'm on my 2nd Mirena.  LOVE IT.  Reduced my migraines, kept Aunt Flo away for almost 2 decades.  Used to have VERY heavy visits.  Found out when I saw my PCP last that I can keep it longer than they originally said since I'm probably perimenopausal and hubby's long been snipped.

Now, not everyone has good experiences with it.  My only real complaint is that the insertion/removal is a booger bear.  But it's over and done.  LOL.  My older sister had IUDs (the copper ones) for years, and loved them.  I know several people with very good Mirena experiences.  But I also know people who've had really bad experiences.

Every BC option has drawbacks, and each patient reacts differently.  I have a good friend who has horrible endometriosis and nothing worked for her until she had an ablation.  I had good luck when I was a teen with the first version of Norplant.  My daughter recently had implanon, and she's been having very heavy visits that last weeks and weeks.  She may have to have it taken out.  Someday they'll find a better way to manage all of this nonsense for us.  Of course, I won't need it at that point but it'll be a better world for my daughter or grandaughters.  In the meantime, we all just try things out until we find what works. LOL.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/15/17 7:44 pm

If you don't plan to have children - ablation may be wonderful for you.  As DS you don't need to be losing blood. Not monthly...But as a DS - if you take BC pills - you may be really malabsorbing them that's why your visit us going on and on and on... BC pills don't work very well with DS - as far as I know. I do hope you are using a secondary BC method ...If you are sexually active.  You really don't want to bpfet pregnant so soon after DS. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Evenya
on 1/16/17 11:08 am
DS on 11/15/16

ROFL! I'm 42, so I definitely won't be having any children. I asked my surgeon if I should get a stronger dose of BC pills and he said that it wouldn't make much of a difference since I won't be absorbing it. The main reason for using the BC pills is because I will have my period for months on straight, each day it gets a little heavier. This time though, I won't wait two months while wearing adult diapers because traditional tampons and sanitary napking won't hold it. Thank god I'm not bleeding that heavy - yet. My hubby and I do use condoms. I think more drastic measures need to take place than just pills. Thanks for the push!

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/16/17 11:20 am

I had ablation.  my regret ? that I did not have it 3 years earlier..and tried to control my bleeding using "natural methods". 

After words i still had some spotting.. but nothing as compared with the before...   The PMS was still bad...

I tried the Nuva ring - but I hated it. I had recurring yeast infections from it.    

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/16/17 11:14 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I absolutely ADORE my IUD. Had one before I got pregnant (before WLS) and it worked like a charm-- I got pregnant 3 weeks after having it taken out. I had another one put in ASAP after I had my son.

I used to have horrendously painful periods, but now I have MAYBE a tiny bit of spotting once a month and that's IT. It hurt a bit going on, but that didn't last long and it was totally worth it. Hooray for modern medicine!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

-Flo-
on 1/15/17 4:37 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I was on continuous birth control pills when I had my DS.  The first few months, I had a near constant period. It was wicked painful. I went to my gyn and he said, it is your body adjusting to the surgery. Let's wait 4 months before we change anything. And you know what, one day it stopped and I haven't had a period since. =) 

jakesmama
on 1/16/17 1:58 pm
VSG on 02/16/15

Get some blood work done, just in case. After WLS we are at risk of anemia (not as much an issue with VSG but still) And with extra loss from an excessively long period I definitely would. Never had Mirena or any other IUD, tubal ligation many years ago so no experience with BC or ablation or any of that. I just went through a long period of anemia symptoms and wish I had gotten labs sooner to know why I was so fatigued, light headed, etc.  Feeling much better now after iron infusions.  Just my two cents.  Good luck to you.

Most Active