Article about Bariatric vitamins.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/16/17 8:26 am
RNY on 12/31/13

What Grim said.

Nearly everyone's labs (providing that they were good going into surgery) are fine at the six month mark.  Even at one year -- most people, even those who aren't following their protocols as they should, are still okay -- what's really important is the trend.  Are you going down over a long period of time?  Staying the same?  -- sometimes you will be absolutely perfect and then suddenly plummet.  By keeping a good record of your trends -- you can know how your supplementation is working for you.

Additionally, you do not need chewables after surgery.  Some surgeons recommend them for a time -- but most people can easily take pills within a few weeks of surgery.  Also, keep in mind that chewables add calories to your daily totals.  I love the chewy calcium and vitamins -- but there is appreciably more calories and cost to them.  Be sure to count them.

I do use chewables still for calcium and my multi.  I do NOT need to use them -- but I have found that they make me compliant.  In other words, they are the only "treat" I have in a day -- so it's worth it to me. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cosmos2112
on 1/16/17 9:18 am

I'm good at following my labs. I was only a tad low on Vit D pre-op.  I always had issues with swallowing large pills. I'm going to stick with the chewables for a while and maybe down the road look for vitamins that are smaller. I know a lot of things taste sickly sweet now, I'll just suck it up and deal with it. 

I am taking consideration of the calories and carbs, but for now I'm consuming so little food it isn't hampering my weight loss or blood sugar.

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

Deanna798
on 1/16/17 6:29 am
RNY on 08/04/15

After trying a few different bariatric vitamins, I switched over to regular non-chewable vitamins, but found that I hated trying to swallow all of them on a daily basis.  I finally switched up to the vitamin patches and I find that I can get my vitamins in without too much trouble.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/16/17 6:30 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

If you had DS, I don;t know.  I had RYN and my labs have been great (except D was a little low before WLS and still is - I will take some D oil).  I had my second years labs last week, everything perfect except the low D.

I take nasal B-12, nascobal, which is by perscrption.  I get the Bari-Advantage with the nascobal included with the nascobal for 1 monthly copay.

This is the least expensive option for me.  I used patch vitamins for the first 3 -6 months because the chewables upset me stomach, but have been on the BariAvtive and Nascobal since then, with great results, except that I am a mole and need more Vit D.   

Sharon

Cosmos2112
on 1/16/17 7:24 am

I had RNY. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/16/17 8:29 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Not to nib -- but DRY D is far more effective for RNY and DSers -- since we have malabsorption of fats -- D in oil or capsules is contraindicated. If you use dry D -- you may be surprised how quickly you can get your levels up.  

Cosmos2112
on 1/16/17 9:12 am

My Vit D is dry. That's all I would ever take. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/16/17 9:51 am
RNY on 12/31/13

that response was to Sharon's post.  She stated she uses D in oil.

Cosmos2112
on 1/16/17 9:52 am

Whoops, my bad. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/16/17 6:47 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I had oil left from before surgery - prob time I bought some new.

Sharon

Most Active