Hello everyone! Any vegetarians on here?

Vegbeth
on 1/16/17 3:08 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

Your "cheating" husband story is too funny!  Glad he was just cheating with the meat. 

NYMom222
on 1/16/17 3:25 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

That is a funny story...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

NYMom222
on 1/16/17 3:35 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

This seems to be a formerly vegan/vegetarian role call... not what you intended LOL. I was strictly vegetarian for 5 years- gained a lot of weight...so I guess I am with Hala that it wasn't the best for me...although I will admit with a young son at the time, there were probably too many french fries included in there.

I actually ran a vegetarian kitchen in a corporate setting for 2 years.... Food can be tasty I cooked it everyday....

Actually posting to see if you have heard of Dr. Garth Davis is he is a Bariatric Doctor who has gone vegan- check out his FB page...as well as Dr Alvarez - Endobariatric- Bariatric VSG Doc from Mexico although he is not as vocal about his veganism, he has lots of You tube videos... Also Dr. Matt Weiner Bariatric Doc from Michigan has a lot of you tube videos- he doesn't necessarily promote totally plant based, but encourages much more than most bariatric Docs. Anyway you might find them all interesting.

The question has been asked of Dr. Davis many times about how do you balance vegan with the protein needs post- WLS but he never seems to answer directly that I can see.

Good Luck!

Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

Save

Save

Vegbeth
on 1/16/17 4:09 pm, edited 1/16/17 8:09 am - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

It certainly has become an ex veg roll call! But I appreciate everyone sending support. I think I should tell a little about my back story. I became a vegetarian when I was in my early 20's and already in the high 200lbs  (at 5"2').  After 15 years of vegetarianism I got up to my max weight of 326lbs. I had been thinking of becoming a vegan for a while for moral reasons and then just decided I was completely sick of being so huge and knew veganism could be a tool to help me get the weight off. After 1 year of switching to a plant based diet I had lost almost 200lbs and gotten down to 145lbs. I bounced between that and 155 for about 3 years. And managed to keep my weight under 175 for the next 5 years but in the past 7 years the weight has creeped up. I would buckle down and get back to 175 maybe even 165 but then as soon as I stopped my diet the weight would creep back up. Finally last winter I was back up to over 250 and terrified of getting back up to my highest weight. I had thought about weight loss surgery on and off for a few years and had even done research on the gastric sleeve.  And then an acquaintance or mine and Facebook friend had the procedure. I watched her journey on Facebook (she was very open) and made my decision. And now here I am. In all this time as a vegan I came to realize for me no matter what I'm healthier as a vegan than I ever was a vegetarian (I had terrible time digesting dairy and meat) but even more than that I realized all the other things veganism brought to my life and it just became who I am . And I did research ahead of time and confirmed it was able to be vegan and get sleeved. Over the years being vegan has become much more mainstream. When I became one, I had to make everything from scratch and for me that was key. Now the stores abound with vegan fast foods, junk foods, ice cream, and I can even get a vegan donut at a nearby donut shop. Not good for a food addict like me!  Veganism brought me to health once but now I need another tool. I am familiar with Dr Davis and have even read his books and am connected to him on FB but he sure doesn't give out much info for free. I just learned about Dr Alvarez and watched a bunch of his videos but not a lot of vegan info there. Dr. Wiener is a new name to me but I'll check him out. Thanks. 

NYMom222
on 1/16/17 9:42 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Dr Alvarez is personally vegan, but he is not as outspoken as Dr. Davis about everyone being vegan...there a few videos where he talks about it....

While being vegan will have it's challenges with WLS and protein...as you are on a reduced quantity of food...sleeve was the better choice if you are committed to it...

Save

Save

r.l.cerna
on 1/17/17 7:42 pm, edited 1/17/17 11:42 am
VSG on 05/18/15

Hi!

Not a vegan here. I wanted to say good for you and bump your post. I couldn't handle being vegan, but everyone is different.

My husband and daughter are carnivores, for certain. I try to eat vegetarian with lactose free milk, cheese and eggs. I do eat beans, legumes, and quinoa, but once a day is still too much fiber for me (I'm less than 2 years post VSG). I do eat chicken/fish/meat at dinner because it's hard enough for me to prepare one healthful meal, let alone 2. I also do meatless dinners.

I'm cleaning up my diet after a difficult year. I'm down 122 pounds, with 20 to go for my doctor's goal weight and 35 for my own. 

Our stories are also similar. I'm 5'0 and my high was 329.

Talkingmountain
on 1/24/17 9:39 pm
RNY on 12/28/15

I joined the veg*n group, vegbeth. Thanks for starting it.

Used to post on obesityhelp more regularly but got tired of being "warned" about eating "too many carbs". 

Obesityhelp is is really hard to use (forums are ok, but groups and blogs and all the other sections get really confusing. Toying with the idea of starting a closed (I.e. Invitation-only) Facebook page for WLS-era who are or want to be veg*an. Curious what you think of the idea

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

Most Active