Did you have gastric bypass after lapband removal

Sunkissed619
on 1/12/17 9:59 pm
RNY on 10/31/16

Hi there,

I agree with all the positives and negatives outlined by the previous poster. I am 8 months out from band removal after having it approximately 8 years and 10 weeks out from RNY surgery. While I had a lot of success with the band it was overfilled for way to many years and in the end I was vomiting at least once daily, I had trouble eating any solid protein and/or vegetables, and developed bad acid reflux. One day my band simply stopped working we discovered I had a leak and after years of forced restriction I lost control and gained back all my weight plus 40lbs or so.

Even with all of this I was reluctant to have my band removed and even more reluctant to commit to RNY as an alternative. RNY was a surgery that scared me and I struggled with accepting that I would be changing the way my body was "intended" to process food. I also had this image in my head of what an RNY "success" story looked like and I felt like the patient always seemed a little unhealthy looking even though they were a healthy weight.

That all changed when I met with my surgeon, he explained why RNY was the best option for me given my history. We also talked about how many people I probably pass on a daily basis who have had positive outcomes from RNY whom I would never know had surgery. I realized that I could continue they way I had been slowly letting more weight creep on, becoming more and more sedentary as my weight began to keep me from doing the thing I loved or I could take the plunge and give myself the best chance at a healthier, happier life.

I had surgery on October 31,2016. For me the recovery was much harder than it had been with the band. I was out of the hospital in less than 24 hours but out of commission for approximately 2 weeks. I was lucky had no problems with drinking and have only had one food so far I dumped on (mashed potatoes which were on my list of approved foods for mushy stage). The only complication I have had was a stricture around week 7 which was corrected with an endoscopy providing immediate relief. 

I am struggling to learn this new feeling of full. For so many years with the band full was a painful feeling, a clear signal I had enough. Full for me now is a comfortable feeling or simply the end of the measured amounts of food on my plate. I very rarely actually feel hungry, head hunger is another story! When left to my own devices I have a sneaky suspicion I could eat more than I should. I can certainly eat more than many newbies on this site. I'm trying to embrace this though because it has made for an easy transition  instead of being frightened this will lead to weight gain. My Dr. contributes some of this to the fact that after living with the band, habits like taking small bites, chewing really well, and not eating and drinking together we're already ingrained in my behavior. My reflux is gone. 

I have purposefully stayed away from sugar not wanting to know what my limits may be before I dump. Same with carbs, what I don't know in this case won't hurt me. I try at limit my new food trials to when I am at home so I can see how they will effect me. More than dumping I have found that I just become extremely sleepy like how I would feel after a binge, it's more intense but shorter lasting. 

The only negative I have had since surgery (besides the stricture) is that the anti anxiety medication I had used for years doesn't work well with my new pouch so I recently had to stop taking it. That combined with the hormones being released from the weight loss and finally experiencing not being able to eat away and numb out my feelings (which I still did with the band I just changed my food choices) have made me kind of a weepy ol feeling feeler especially over the past couple of weeks lol. I am working on rearranging my train of thought to see this as a positive because it's forcing me to deal with issues and behavior patterns that should have been addressed years ago and will hopefully lead to a much more satisfying life overall.

Sorry this turned into a novel it's all those feelings lol! Bottom line for me at this early point in my journey, given the opportunity to do it again I would do it in a second. After living with the band I have had no trouble adjusting to RNY. 

Elizabeth

RNY revision from LapBand following a leak 10/31/2016 w/Dr Robert Zane Kaiser Harbor City, CA.

HW/SW 309--CW 223.9

Month 1: -23.8, Month 2: -10.6, Month 3: -8.1, Month 4: -18.3, Month 5: -8.1, Month 6: - 9.6, Month 7: -6.6, Month 8: TBD

Tammywantshealth
on 1/22/17 6:05 pm

Elizabeth I appreciate your "novel"!!!  All the information/input you have given me is greatly appreciated and informative.  I, too, am on anti-depressants so good to know in advance how this might effect me.  I think I will do a little more research in that area.  I understand the head hunger.  I have joined OA (overeaters anonymous) and don't think I could do this surgery without it.  I have to admit I don't work the program like I should - as in faithfully/daily - but at know I have that "tool" to use and I do have a sponsor.

I'm still reluctant to go for the surgery but I do think it is the right thing for me.  I have given up sugar and have been abstinent from it for a month.  So far so good.  Thank you again for responding.

WhosThere
on 1/13/17 6:19 pm

I agree so much with the 2 poster before me. I'm on my 4 weeks and a day from my revision from band to bypass, but I already love it! No more throwing up!!! No more "stuck" feelings! No more hunger!!! I eat when I need to and stop when my portion is done. I eat slowly and feel satisfied. 

In 4 weeks, I've already lost 1/2 of my total lapband loss (I had regained almost all of it) which took probably around 8-10 months. I know my loss will slow, but even so, I expect to be back to the lowest weight I achieved with the band by around 4-5 months. 

My only regret is that I didn't do RNY first!

Tammywantshealth
on 1/22/17 6:09 pm

Hi Who's There

Question.  So presently you stop eating when your portion is finished?  For me, I am afraid that I will eat beyond what is acceptable.  So  you weigh and measure and eat only that?  That is what is working for you? Or are you becoming more familiar with real hunger and satisfaction and actually stopping. 

I'm afraid of failing -- can you tell.  I'm such a "food addict" as I guess we are were otherwise we wouldn't be in this position. 

Thank you for responding you all are helping so much!!

Travelher
on 1/22/17 6:43 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

I weigh and  measure everything or else I will pu****  I did overdo it a bit while eating out one night and had an uncomfortably full and upset stomach for the rest of the night.  not pleasant, no desire to do it again.  hence measuring and weighing. 

Travelher
on 1/13/17 9:14 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

I revised from lapband to rny and I love it.  Wish I'd done this from the start!

conazza
on 1/13/17 9:42 pm
RNY on 09/23/16

Chassibi nailed it! I agree with everything she said. I revised with Dieter Pohl 3.5 months ago after having the band for 10 years.   I seriously feel reborn I'm so happy. He is an outstanding surgeon. 

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

Tammywantshealth
on 1/11/19 11:43 am

I have dr pohl too! ?

conazza
on 1/11/19 2:32 pm
RNY on 09/23/16

Great guy!

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

Most Active