How do you get 80 grams of protein in + 64 ounces of water?!?!

PS0705
on 1/5/17 3:39 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

I am 4 months post surgery (VSG) and still have to choose between protein or water as I can't fit in both. Usually I get about 1/2 of the recommended protein and water suggestion each day.

My Dr. recommended getting in 80 grams of protein since my hair is falling out daily in handfuls for over a month.  Luckily I did have super think hair but now I am getting worried.

Also since my surgery I can't have ANY dairy without horrible cramps and urgent diarrhea (sorry about the TMI).

Please any suggestions are appreciated - Thanks.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/5/17 4:36 pm

I carry water with me everywhere I go, and I often drink two beverages at a time, one hot and one cold. I drink water first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Were you a water chugger before surgery? I cannot chug water anymore, but I can easily drink 20 ounces in five minutes.

If you eat on a schedule, and start drinking water as soon as you are out of your waiting period after eating, you will be able to get you water in. I wait 30-45 minutes after eating to drink anything. If water itself is the difficulty, try it at different temperatures or try some no-caffeine herbal tea. Carry water with you everywhere so you do not have to rely on having it available.

As for protein, what are you eating and how much? Some foods are easier and more protein forward than others. For example, a lot of people do well with shrimp or fish, but chicken and eggs can be a problem. There is a lot of food you can try that isn't dairy based.

Your hair loss is probably due to your anesthesia during surgery. It will peak and then slack off, and your hair will come back.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

louise9001
on 1/13/17 5:10 pm

Hello I had my  Bariatric Bypass surgery on Oct 11 2016 I found out today I have lost 44pds , I was wondering if I was on schedule or do I need to pump up my activity to more things besides treadmill and walking in my neighborhood. Thank you for the advice on getting more water in and protein in. I have a hard time eating all those meals because I'm not hungry like that, I may get in 2 small meals with fruits and water and a protein drink... I seem to losing more inches now

Kathy S.
on 1/5/17 5:53 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Velcro a bottle of water to your hand and sip, sip, sip....  You will be surprised how much you can consume in a day. As you have discovered our days of chugging and gulping down glasses of water are over.  Sipping doesn't load up your pouch and you will be able to get more protein in.  You got this!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Ladytazz
on 1/5/17 6:16 pm

The more you drink the thirstier you get.  I find on days I am busy and don't drink a lot I don't really feel that thirsty.  But if I've been drinking all day and I'm not near my water I am dying of thirst in a few minutes.

Don't wait until you feel thirsty to drink.  Just keep it near you and drink every chance you get.  Before long it will be a habit.

I went to Walmart and tried out differen****er bottles until I found one that felt right.  I bought about 5 of them since I am always losing them or breaking them but it is part of my anatomy now.  I don't leave the house without it or I will forget to drink.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/6/17 7:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Lots of people have no trouble with protein and water. I was averaging 180 grams of protein and 120 ounces of water shortly after surgery.

It's harder for some people. getting water down for some people is as difficult as manners and common courtesy are for others.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Valerie G.
on 1/6/17 7:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

First thing, if you're getting your protein via protein drinks - they count towards your fluid goals too.  Anything wet and decaf counts, and I get 64oz of liquids in before lunchtime on any given day.  Early out, though, you carry water with you everywhere and sip every time you think of it (if it's sitting right next to you, you think of it often).

I'm disappointed that your doc doesn't know about Telogen Effluvium, which was caused by the trauma to your body from surgery.  It's going to last for a few months and stop as quickly as it came.  In a nutshell, it's your hair growth cycle rebooting.  Any protein or supplements you take right now will only benefit the new hair about to emerge (that's what's causing the shedding).   

The dairy thing is fairly common, however some of us (including me) can eat some dairy like cheese, but all agree if we are sensitive to anything, it's straight milk.  There are lactose-free varieties you can try if you really miss it.  Also be wary of the fact that whey protein is a dairy item and may give you a similar effect.  Egg protein may be nicer to your system.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/6/17 6:38 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

It is kinda hard in the beginning, anything new will be a little hard but if you keep at it, it does get easier. My whole day at first seemed to be circled around protein, water & vitamins, but now its become routine.

Right now you have to make getting in water & protein in like its your job, cuz it is. Your health is your job & #1 priority. You'll need to set up some kind of routine & stick with it. There is no choice between protein & water, you need both. 

Wake up start with the water, I drink up to the meal, have my protein, wait 30 minutes, back to the water. Set up a timer on your watch to get you on schedule if it helps. Keep at it, b4 you know it, it will become routine.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

PS0705
on 1/6/17 6:54 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Thank you everyone for the ideas and especially for the daily menu example.

rachelp
on 1/6/17 8:10 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I have the same issues too. I can't drink after I eat for over and hour, usually closer to 2 hours. If I eat a solid breakfast then I can't drin****il almost lunch time. I usually drink about 26 to 34 oz before lunch (between 10:30 to 12) and another 26 oz after lunch (between 2 to 4:30) and another 8 to 16 oz before bed. I can't "sip" all day long. I'm too busy. All my food is pretty much meat so I get enough protein and I also drink Unjury chicken soup flavored protein to help. You get 21 grams of protein and 8 oz of liquid from it.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Most Active