Journey is just starting...

NewYork Loser
on 1/2/17 6:02 pm
RNY on 08/02/17

Hi everyone!  My husband and I will be attending a WLS seminar from a doctor in our area on Thursday night. I've done my research on WLS and have talked with others that I know who have had it in the past. My question to you is... is there any questions that you recommend asking during the seminar or maybe something that you wished you did/ask when you first started out? thanks!

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/2/17 7:29 pm
Yes...ask what surgeries they do. There is more than 1 type of WLS, and you should get the one that works best for you...not the only one the surgeon does.
Eggface
on 1/3/17 2:26 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Welcome. What a great way to start the new year!

Be sure they cover the pros and cons of each surgery type the perform and that you both understand which one would be best for you... and know it may not be the same for both of you. 

Ask them what type of long-term, aftercare services (such as support groups and counseling) they provide post-op (This is soooo important and run if they offer nothing!)

A few more http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/p/links-resou rces.html 

I'd also suggest really talking about how WLS will change your relationship and both be on the same page with that... what you do for fun changes, attention from others, family gatherings, etc. if you have any communications issues perhaps addressing those (with some therapy even) might be a good proactive move.

Best wishes to you and your husband. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Patty R.
on 1/3/17 4:09 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

If you want health insurance to cover the costs, check with your carrier. Many employers have riders that donot cover WLS. Better to know what your financial responsibility will be before you've decided on a procedure.

Insert Fitness
on 1/3/17 4:28 am

I agree with eggface. I know you need to focus on getting to surgery, but the aftercare is so important!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/17 6:18 am

Congratulations on the start of your journey to get healthier. I would ask about therapy also. I know it has helped me with my weight loss. 

The head part is the hardest. 

Best wishes to you 

Kathy S.
on 1/3/17 9:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome to ObesityHelp!

We are glad that you have joined our OH community.  Be sure and check out the tutorial that appears when you log in.  As you check out OH, you'll see many features and tools that are created for our members as you embark on your WLS journey.

We suggest you upload your avatar, fill in your surgery type, date and surgeon.  If you have not done so, let us get to know you by adding some information on your profile "about me" section.  Hang out on your surgery type forum to interact with those that had the surgery you are going to have.  Great support and information.  ??

If you want assistance with finding a surgeon, and or have any additional questions please email us at [email protected].

Regards,

Kathy

ObesityHelp Community Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active