Any advice is greatly appreciated!

MadisonRose
on 1/1/17 1:21 am
RNY on 01/23/19

Hi, I'm new here and looking for all the information and advice I can get.  I am very much interested in weight loss surgery as I am at my wits end with dealing with this weight.  I'm currently 34 years old, 5'4" and weigh a massive 320 pounds, which is my highest weight ever.  I am just disgusted at myself for allowing it to get this far.

I can no longer stand or walk for more than 5 minutes without my lower back becoming very painful.  I get out of breath and sweaty extremely easily which is quite embarrassing.  Every bone in my body hurts me most days and the fact that I suffer from MS doesn't help.  All this has caused me to become a recluse.  I no longer enjoy or have any desire to leave my house.  I basically only go to work and back and to the grocery store or other errands when needed which is even a difficult task for me.  My mother tried talking me into having weight loss surgery when I was in my early twenties, but I was scared to death since I had never had any past surgeries  and because I didn't know much about it.  But I have since had to have emergency surgery to remove a 50 pound ovarian cyst and my left ovary.  This gave me some much needed relief because the cyst was so large it caused my stomach to stick out like I was nine months pregnant. The cyst was also pushing my stomach acid up causing me to wake up at night coughing and choking on it.  So once that cyst was removed it was instant relief, not to mention I was 50 pounds lighter.  However, I quickly gained those 50 pounds back and then some.  I'm finally at a place where surgery doesn't scare me so much and I feel like I could do this.  

I've struggled with my weight my whole life.  I still remember as a child, my mother telling me what I could and could not eat.  I had to drink the diet sodas while my brother and cousins drank the regular.  Being told not to touch those sweets while the other kids ate them.  Always feeling restricted and like I did not fit in.  Never understanding why I had to be so different.  I'd go on these fad diets only to fail miserably.  I got real serious several years back and lost between 40 and 45 pounds, but quickly gained it back and more.

So I feel like I need this surgery to gain better control over my life.  I know it's not a quick fix and a lot of hard work has to be put in after the surgery.  I understand it's a lifestyle change, but I feel like I can do it.  I know several people who have had the surgery and experienced great results.  They each say they are so happy they went through with it and don't regret it one bit.  I have been doing some research and unfortunately found out my insurance does not cover it.  So I am going to have to figure out what I'm going to do. 

I just feel like if something drastic isn't done then I'm only going to keep gaining weight and I know it's only a matter of time before I eat myself into an early grave.  Any advice, tips, information, words of encouragement etc. you can provide is greatly appreciated.  This is all new to me and I don't even know where to begin?

chicagomo
on 1/1/17 4:58 am

hello!

just a quick note of encouragement - I am 5 years post op, maintaining a 125 pound loss (total original loss was 140 and I am working to get back down to that) and it is one of the best decisions of my life. I feel great, have had no complications at all and have integrated the eating into my life by now. ( i am sipping a protein shake as I write! i can't believe I would ever get to the point where I like them!) I jsut returned from traveling on a four hour flight and every time I get on a plane I am reminded of what a nightmare flying used to be for me at 295 pounds - now I simply walk easily through the airport, down the aisle without worrying about dodging dreading stares from fellow passengers, slip into my seat and easily buckle the seat belt, and enjoy the same uncomfortable flight as everyone else, but without feeling like I am encroaching into the seat next to me, without worrying about if I have to ask for a seat belt extender.. it's wonderful. It took me seven years to make the decision and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. My surgeon was wonderful (James Naegle at Northwestern in Chicago) and I followed his instructions very carefully... and it's been terrific. It stinks that your insurance won't cover it, but I would try to appeal or see if there is any way around it - at my old job they had a specific rider excluding weight loss surgery but eventually they changed policies to BCBS which covered it and I signed up immediately. Best of luck!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/1/17 5:00 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Welcome. Ths is a really, really good place to begin. 

You'll find that, here on OH, you storyyis very familiar. A lot of us have been where you are. The best thing you can do right now is read and research. Fid out what's best for you, and what's possible.

Hang in there. This was a good first step.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 1/1/17 6:48 am

See if your insurance covers bariatric surgery. If so, see if you are limited to certain surgeons. Research bariatric surgeons in your area and see if they offer seminars (most do). Go to their seminars and find out more information. Research the different surgeries to see which one is best for you. I would research VSG, RNY, and DS.

Good luck. Bariatric surgery game me my life back. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/17 7:39 am, edited 1/1/17 4:39 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Bariatric surgery has come a long ways and is so much safer than it used to be. Totally agree that checking with your insurance company, to see if it covers the surgery, is the first step.  If it covers I would attend an informational session wherever you plan to pursue the surgery and go from there.  Once I got the ball rolling, everything was smooth sailing. It is hard work but worth it beyond words. My health has improved beyond belief.  No more medications except for my allergies. Keep us posted.

RNY on 12/22/14

Get on the internet and find 2-3 bariatirc surgeons in your area.  You can search for them on this website.

Sign up and go to their public info meetings - they are free and  there you will get info that you need to decide if you want to go forward.  Do not let your insurance (or lack of it) prevent you from going to the information meetings.  Each surgeon's office has insurance experts in them - and remember that the dr gets the approval that the ins co will pay for surgery, they submit all the paperwork, not you.  The office will tell you everything that you need to get approval.  Some insurance co do not cover bariatric surgery, but there are other ways, and insurance changes. 

Good luck with your journey

Sharon

White Dove
on 1/1/17 10:17 am - Warren, OH

Weight loss surgery should be as common as surgery to fix a ruptured appendix or broken bones.  What it can do for you is give you an opportunity to lose the weight and then have a tool to keep the weight off.  Don't hesitate another moment to get this taken care of.  Your life will be so much better.

I have RNY surgery at 59 years old.  When I woke up I felt good and was back at work in less than a week.  I have been much sicker with a cold or flu.  You are young and this can be a wonderful opportunity for you. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LostStar
on 1/5/17 8:28 pm

I'm so glad you said this. I know it's a common fear to be 'mutilated' in order to be thin, but it's the wrong kind of thinking. The doctors are just taking something out of our bodies that no longer works for us. People don't bat an eye if it was a bad gallbladder or bad appendix. Many voluntarily get vasectomies and tubal ligations. So why is it different with wls?

MadisonRose
on 1/1/17 12:06 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Thank you all so very much for the words of encouragement and advice!  I truly appreciate it!  Several months ago I signed up to get a packet in the mail with information and paperwork to fill out from my local hospital for their weight loss program and surgery.  But once I read about all the requirements you have to meet first and then finding out my insurance would not cover the surgery I became discouraged.  I refuse to give up though.  I am going to continue my research and look into attending one of the seminars in my area.  I'm also in the process of looking for a better job.  One in which may offer an insurance that will cover the surgery.    I'm just tired of living this way and am ready for a change.  All of the success stories here have given me hope.  Thank you all again and congratulations to all of you who have met their goal weight and to those who are well on their way to meeting it!  You all are truly an inspiration.  I will update with any progress.

hollykim
on 1/1/17 2:41 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 1, 2017 at 8:06 PM Pacific Time, MadisonRose wrote:

Thank you all so very much for the words of encouragement and advice!  I truly appreciate it!  Several months ago I signed up to get a packet in the mail with information and paperwork to fill out from my local hospital for their weight loss program and surgery.  But once I read about all the requirements you have to meet first and then finding out my insurance would not cover the surgery I became discouraged.  I refuse to give up though.  I am going to continue my research and look into attending one of the seminars in my area.  I'm also in the process of looking for a better job.  One in which may offer an insurance that will cover the surgery.    I'm just tired of living this way and am ready for a change.  All of the success stories here have given me hope.  Thank you all again and congratulations to all of you who have met their goal weight and to those who are well on their way to meeting it!  You all are truly an inspiration.  I will update with any progress.

all insurance companies offer wls but your employer has to buy the rider for it to cover its employees. That is the thing to check when looking for new jobs. Does the employer provide bariatric coverage for its employees.

Most Active