Distal RNY Revision

gemelini
on 12/30/16 7:26 pm - apo , Italy

I had revision done 9-13-2016 and lost about 65 lb already. I am not able to eat much at all... it hurts so bad and I am constantly going to the bathroom. So I avoid eating all together... eat chicken or fish very bland, just salt and some veggies. Very limited veggies, asparagus and zucchini are about the only thing I can tolerate. I am looking for some ideas and help how to get some more vitamins in. I was not a candidate for DS so RNY distal was my only option. 

preview photo

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/30/16 9:58 pm
Michelle,

The Vitalady (www.vitalady.com) actually had a distal RNY over a decade ago....I think at this point she must be closing in on 20 years (she was about 10 years out when I had surgery). She had to learn everything there was about nutrition- because back then...surgeons just didn't give good nutritional advice.

A distal RNY has a lot of difficulties with nutritional issues. She has a recommended plan on her site. I'd follow it.

I do her DS plan (modified for my labs). I do not buy all my vits from her......some- A, D, and E -her prices are cheap- and she has the dosages I need- 50,000 IUs of dry D, and 25,000 IUs of Dry A.
When she is out, I buy directly from Biotech (same product, just more money). Everything else I get on amazon or at wally world.

Scott
NHPOD9
on 12/31/16 6:48 am

Your post implies that you are trying to get your vitamins in through food alone. I hope that is not the case and you've been supplementing all along. If not, I'd start with a comprehensive blood panel to see what your levels are currently. From there, you can determine what you need in addition to what the ASMBS recommends. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

gemelini
on 12/31/16 12:38 pm - apo , Italy

Oh I am defiantly not trying to get your vitamins in through food alone, I do supplements as recommended by my doctor. I am doing my vitamins every day since surgery... My check up and blood work is second week of January, 2017. 

preview photo

Valerie G.
on 12/31/16 7:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The Distal RNY gives you all the nutritional challenges of the DS in to the challenges of your pouch.  Sadly, the results aren't as good as a DS (especially if your stoma is stretched), but I'm glad you're seeing something.  I second the recommendation for vitalady's plan, whether you buy from her or piece it together yourself.  We've found very few docs who are aggressive enough to meet our supplementation needs, so we've learned much of this ourselves.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active