How to pay or what insurance pays for wls

Keenaatl
on 12/30/16 4:40 pm

Hello all!!

I am doing research for having wls. My insurance was through my job and had no coverage,going into the new year I would like to know which insurance agency would more than likely cover wks.

peachpie
on 12/30/16 6:04 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

There's no way anyone can answer that. Every insurance company writes policies differently. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/30/16 7:40 pm, edited 12/30/16 11:42 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You'll have to do the legwork on that one. Every insurance company policy is different as are their requirements to qualify for wls. Maybe you can go to a bariatric seminar & maybe they can tell you what insurance they take to cover wls, then you can call the different insurance companies & check on what their requirements are for wls.

When I was first looking into wls I went to a bariatric seminar where they gave out pamphlets as to what ins they took to cover wls in their hospital. Some places however might not do that. You could ask the surgeon/Drs what they accept then call the ins companies.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Keenaatl
on 12/30/16 8:15 pm

Thank you, I guess I know now my first step should be a seminar to get more info. 

Eggface
on 12/30/16 9:56 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

JaxLiving
on 12/31/16 6:59 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

I was a self-pay, but it was well worth it! I had a revision from lapband to RNY, and my insurance company will only cover one WLS per lifetime. By the way, most surgeon's offices offer financing. You might want to check on that. Good luck! I would highly recommend the  surgery! 

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

Valerie G.
on 12/31/16 7:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ins companies write policies to their client's request, so if you're looking to insure through an employer, you want to know what large companies cover WLS...and thanks to ACA, the numbers are dwindling there because they are compensating costs wherever they can and that's an easy one.  I know that some states do allow WLS as part of the ACA options but it's the top program in the list, and honestly, it would probably be cheaper to pay and get it in Mexico or Brazil than to commit to the premiums for a year.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/31/16 7:56 am
There use to be a list of employers that offered part time employees benefits and paid for WLS. I'm not sure if anything like that still exists, but there were some on this forum that got part time jobs....got their WLS covered and then quit. (Home depot and starbucks use to be on the list....but Home depot does not offer PT employees benefits anymore)
Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 1/5/17 8:35 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

My insurance does not cover WLS, at least, my policy excludes it.

I was self pay and went thru Prosper. Its like crowdsourced funding. They run your credit then sell your loan amount you want, and people choose to fund it or not based on risk and the interest percentage. I got funded within 2 days fully and check into my bank account within a few more, and then paid my surgeon (I put on my credit card with most points and immediately paid it off).

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Most Active