1 week out from surgery...

sctcox
on 12/28/16 5:56 pm
RNY on 12/30/16

Carbs are a slippery slope for me too. I'm hoping to completely stay away from dessert. (Not sure if that's an unreasonable goal, or not). Someone mentioned that I won't be able to really burp anymore because my stomach will be so much smaller. Is that true?

sctcox
on 12/23/16 11:21 am
RNY on 12/30/16

Thanks to all of you for the great advice.

I'm really excited for a better, healthier life.

So... I have pretty terrible reflux (but not ulcers)

I've heard that the RNY may improve this condition.

Has anyone seen this to be true for you?

Cynthia T.
on 12/25/16 2:36 pm - Florence, SC

RNY eliminated my reflux! It was worth doing just for that.

sctcox
on 12/28/16 5:57 pm
RNY on 12/30/16

Sounds great. I'm hoping for the same result :)

Vinasu
on 12/23/16 3:29 pm
RNY on 08/10/16

Nausea/ Discomfort level?

I never had nausea, and I stopped taking pain pills in the hospital.  I felt fine except when standing from a sitting position for the first 4-5 days. Then, it felt like my guts were going to drop out. But that was literally seconds of discomfort.

Foods tolerated / not tolerated?

I can eat just about anything except for tough meat and raw, hard vegetables. Carrots or jicama will have me vomiting uncontrollably. I do not dump per se, but if I take more than a bite or two of sweets I feel awful all evening.

Things you wish you'd known to expect?

I am constantly worried about constipation. If I don't take stool softeners daily, I regret it for weeks. It's part of my new normal, and I didn't expect it.

HW: 250+ SW:215 (W leaving hospital: 224!)

CW: 138; DR GW: 166; MY GW: 130

M1: -20, M2: -8, M3: -14, M4: -11, M5: -8, M6: -5 M7: -7 M8: in progress

sctcox
on 12/28/16 6:01 pm
RNY on 12/30/16

Have you experienced any re-gain, yet?

I've been on the liquid diet for the past 2 weeks and I'm already experiencing constipation. I take fiber pills and I'm guessing that I'll probably need to switch over to Metamucil powder or something similar?? 

My surgery is this Friday :)

catwoman7
on 12/29/16 5:47 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I take Metamucil now, but for awhile after surgery, we were told to use Benefiber instead because it doesn't expand in your stomach like Metamucil does (which could be a problem if you're still healing).  I switched once I was a few months out, though (after checking with my surgeon's office) since Metamucil tends to work better for me.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

cabin111
on 12/23/16 6:46 pm

Just past my 10 years in October...So it's been awhile.  Post op, the pain near your belly button is where they put the camera...That is why that area will be sore.  Your surgery may be delayed.  Ones before you may take longer.  In the hospital there is a lot of hurry up and wait.  Things can go real fast...or take hours.  You're not going anywhere...So just wait it out.  Average...About the first 4 days is moderate pain...Needing some pain pills.  After that (at home) you will have discomfort more that pain.  You can choose to go with   Tylenol/acetaminophen or just rough it out...It's usually not too bad after the 4th day...Feels like a pulled muscle.  As you have heard before...Sip, sleep, walk, repeat.  Take it easy...Allow your body to heal. 

The surgeon blows a lot of air during the surgery...To look for leaks.  So this air gets stuck in your body cavity.  It moves around your body...Maybe up to your shoulders.  You may want to lay on a bed and try different movements...Moving your body slowly around to get rid of the gas.  Be sure you do this slowly and do NOT disturb the wound sites.  The air/gas should be gone between 10 days to two weeks.  Men lose the weight (in general...No flaming me) faster than women...We have a larger muscle structure so me burn more energy.  Know the signs of dehydration.  You may want to look them up on line...Print it out just to be aware of.  Dehydration is the # 1 reason RNY people reenter the hospital.

Try and sleep when and where you can.  The hospital is hard...There is always something going on.  If you have a sleep mask and ear plugs bring them...If not, then don't worry about.  At the hospital and at home use pillows if necessary to help get to sleep.  Take naps (healing).  You may not be able to get in all your water and protein...Do your best.  WHEN IN DOUBT CALL YOUR DOCTOR.  They expect people to call.

I'll try and post about strictures on the RNY Forum...About 5% of RNYer get them...You might be that unlucky 1 in 20...But it is very treatable.  Later, Brian 

sctcox
on 12/28/16 6:06 pm
RNY on 12/30/16

I'm usually a big water drinker, but since I've been on this liquid diet, I find myself drinking less of it than usual... weird, huh? I do try to have some chicken broth pretty often, though. 

My surgery is this Friday and I'm scheduled off work for 4 weeks following it. Sounds like I'm gonna need the rest/healing time :) 

Cosmos2112
on 12/29/16 3:32 pm

I'm exactly one week post op. RNY went well. First night horrible pain in left shoulder from the gas. Thank God for pain pump. I was kept comfortable. I had to wear CPAP when sleeping or lying in bed. Not a happy camper. They got me out of bed for a little walk that evening. Walks increased the next two days. I was in a lot of pain. The best news is that I'm off all diabetes meds!  They did give me 1-2u insulin as my sugars were too high after surgery. My body was reacting to the stress of surgery.  So now no more Jardiance, Victoza, and Toujeo. Wait until I see my endo doc in March! 

I just was uncomfortable in the bed. Pumps and alarms beeped all night long. Drove me nuts. I couldn't sleep. PCA and nurses kept waking me up to take my vitals. But, after my upper GI I had my first Popsicle. I couldn't have anything until the test was completed the following morning at 8am. I was so parched because the CPAP made me so dry. Take lip gloss. I had my first tray of clear liquids. Triple filtered beef broth, tea, and water. I had no appetite. Gave me flavor drops. 

Had to stop taking the liquid Oxycodone because of severe alergic reaction  and taking liquid Benadryl when needed. Got hives and welts over my back and chest and tummy. On injectable blood thinner for two weeks as my sister had a blood clot and they don't want me getting one and I'm bruised all on my legs. 

Im on full liquids for two weeks and them progress on the plan to semi liquid, purée, and so forth. Still no appetite. What I noticed is I used to love V8 juice because I like the salty taste and now it tastes sickly sweet. I drink Premier Pritein but crush up two Lactaid tablets.. Found a protein powder called Combat, bought at Wal Mart that was recommended to me and it tastes good. Get a variety of flavor drops or packets.. Also try to find Fairlife Milk, it is high protein milk. 

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

Most Active