Christmas ideas please

Bonkerz1
on 12/19/16 5:12 pm
VSG on 06/12/16

Cheers for that. Merry Christmas.

karenp8
on 12/19/16 5:50 am - Brighton, IL

There's no reason to feel deprived your first Christmas out so try some ricotta bake and some pumpkin pie Greek yogurt. Stick with protein options and you'll be fine. And enjoy imagining what next year will be like.

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/16 7:48 am, edited 12/19/16 8:52 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I can relate to how you feel.  Yes, I too am forever grateful that I had the surgery but it takes time for some people to psychologically adapt to the changes.  Just because we had the surgery doesn't mean that everything changes overnight. I applaud you for being real and for your honesty.  My favorite on the "soft food" stage was no fat refried beans, low fat sour cream (1 tbsp), taco seasoning (low sodium) and mozzarella cheese, nuked.  My dietician recommended this and I still eat it. Rise above and keep on asking questions, great job! That's what keeps the world an interesting place and a world full of kindness, love and compassion.   

Bonkerz1
on 12/19/16 5:14 pm
VSG on 06/12/16

Such wise words. Thanks for the encouragement. Merry Christmas.

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/16 4:54 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Awww, thank you. Merry Christmas to you too!  Hugs!

hollykim
on 12/19/16 8:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 19, 2016 at 2:46 AM Pacific Time, Bonkerz1 wrote:

hey all. I'm on the purée stage post surgery. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for Christmas meals so I don't feel too deprived. 

anything can be puréed: turkey,ham, non starchy bvegs. You should be able to have some of the things on offer, just purée them and add sf pudding for dessert

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/19/16 3:10 pm, edited 12/19/16 9:31 am

A few..

• Protein ice cream.
  • Cheesecake. (Greek yogurt mixed with SF pudding...Topped with a splash of whipped cream, or SF preserves..)
  • Bowl of butternut nut squash soup topped with Greek yogurt...(little on a carby side - so limit that to a small portion)
  • 5min protein microwave cake...
  • Ricotta bake - check eggface blog

Food can be fun... Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kerry B.
on 12/19/16 8:49 pm, edited 12/19/16 12:49 pm
VSG on 11/04/13

You are a little farther out than I was at Christmas so my choices may have been different with that timing but I decided that the first 8-12 months I would make as much of a sacrifice as I could to get the most benefit out of my first year.  By doing that I passed my goal (of being under 200 pounds) and reached the goal I never thought I would achieve by 13 months postop (165 pounds).  I was 6 weeks out at Christmas after my surgery.  I had mashed up turkey and cauliflower with a side of mushrooms.  If I had been 6 months out I would have had a piece of turkey with whole cauliflower and green beans and maybe a bite of sweet potatoes or butternut squash.  I do remember going to a summer dinner at 6 months in which my gourmet chef of a friend made this amazing dinner that included home made banana pudding.  I brought my own banana greek yogurt and my splurge was a little squirt of homemade sugar free whip cream.

It SUCKS making sacrifices but I am proud of my first year.  Three years out I do not dwell on the times I missed out.  Now I plurge now and then but it is easy to carried away.  Having worked so hard in the beginning reminds me of those sacrifices and helps me get back on track.

I truly wish you the best of luck!!

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/16 7:52 am

I try not to think I am being deprived. I try to think about what I can eat. It can be hard with it being a pureed stage. Eggface has some great recipes. 

Trying new things is best to try at home to. 

It gets easier. Trust us it does. 

Grim_Traveller
on 12/20/16 10:02 am
RNY on 08/21/12

What did you eat at Christmas 3 years ago? I can't remember, and chances are, almost no one does.

Don't sweat holiday meals too much. Try to get your head in a place where it doesn't seem as important. It's really not as big a deal as we make it seem.

And keep in mind, other people won't make a big deal about what we are eating unless we make a big deal about it first.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active