Aldi...Trader Joe's

michellemj
on 12/19/16 8:52 am

Aldi is great. We tend to shop there first, because you never know what the have, esp in produce, and then get everything else at the regular store. They care their own line of organics and we really enjoy their organic nitrate free bacon, turkey sausages.

alouisa63
on 12/19/16 9:23 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I'm in the minority that doesn't like Aldi.  I split my shopping between TJ's, Costoc and the fresh fruit market.  I like knowing that the item I went will be there and with Aldi, that doesn't happen.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Stacy_WLS
on 12/19/16 11:00 am

Oh - I love Aldi!  I haven't read the responses yet, so hopefully I'm not repeating what everyone else says.  

We live in Chicago and Aldi's are all over the place.  They are definitely a low cost - no frills grocery store.  You have to put in a quarter to get out a cart ( you get it back when you return it) and bring in your own bags/ buy bags.  Often the line is a bit longer too - so you might have to wait, but these little things turn into BIG savings. 

My favorite things to get from Aldi:

• fruits
  • fresh vegetables
  • frozen vegetables
  • yogurt
  • cottage cheese
  • cold cuts
  • cheese
  • frozen meats / seafoods

They are off brands and don't always have the same thing week to week, but I always end up with a bag full of groceries for ~$20.  Typically what would cost me twice that much at the standard grocery store.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Donna L.
on 12/21/16 8:03 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Illinois represent!  I love Aldi's.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

supershopper
on 12/19/16 11:31 am

I love both but the aldi is closer to me than the TJ's. I do not think Aldi is low grade at all! It is meant to be representative of an actual german grocery store where they stock one or 2 kinds of something not 1 million to choose from. Their prices are quite good especially on fresh fruit, veg, and cheeses.  If im in the area i stop by. Also they have awesome german desserts during christmas which I'm having company and will buy some this friday.

eggs are .50 a dozen also- and i will be stocking up!!!

i also love TJ's but they can be pricey on some things to me.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

butterflygirl1979
on 12/20/16 6:09 am - PA

I shop regularly at Aldis.  And I pack up my groceries in my Trader Joes canvas bags! LOL. The prices at Aldis are amazing, especially for produce, even organic. I rarely have issues with quality but they have a double money back guarantee. They have weekly specials too and cool new (limited time) items each week. Sometimes they might be out of certain fre****ems but I have several stores nearby so it's not usually a problem. And I find Trader Joes runs out of things too. I don't get my paper products at either store though due to limited selection. I always pay with my debit card.  They also take cash and food stamps but Im not sure if Aldis is taking credit cards yet.

Most Active