Aldi...Trader Joe's

Valerie G.
on 12/18/16 4:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Aldi's is a wonderful inexpensive grocery store!  You will find many brand names that you've never heard of, but don't let that be a deterrent.  The only downside is that you pay for their grocery bags, but you're welcome to bring your own or grab an empty box you pass by while shopping.  They also don't take credit cards - debit card only.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Laura in Texas
on 12/18/16 7:15 am

Aldi takes credit cards now. I assume it includes all locations.

Press Release March 2016

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ChristineB
on 12/18/16 4:14 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

Aldi actually is starting to take credit cards. See this FAQ https://www.aldi.ie/customer-services/stores

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

PulchritudinousGirl
on 12/18/16 5:59 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I absolutely LOVE ALDI and shop there at least once a week.  They have great prices on the basics like milk, eggs, etc. but they are also getting more and more specialty items that are comparable to other grocery stores.  There produce can be really great or not-so-much.  It depends on the season and what you are buying.  They do not have a wide variety of choice when it comes to sizes or brands but if you can get over that, I think you will be pleased with what you find.  I guarantee you will save a TON of money by shopping there.  Just remember to bring your own bags or be prepared to pay a few cents each for them-- I invested in their large fabric bags which are fantastic--and also have a quarter ready for a cart deposit (I think this is ingenious).  Yes-- I am an ALDI cheerleader!!!

RNY 3/21/2016 Highest Weight 232, Goal Weight 135, Current Weight 126

March-20.9, April-15.7, May-11.6, June-13.9, July-7.9, August-7.4, September-7.4, October-6.0, November-5.7, December-5.5

Save

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/16 6:14 am

I used to shop at Aldi's before WLS.  They do not have a big selection of meat, which is what I buy most now.  Also, and a very big problem for me is, they do have a large selection of cookies, cakes, and high sugar foods.  And they place these items throughout the store.  If I am strong enough to resist on aisle 1, they will be waiting on aisle 2,3,4 and so on. Lol

ChristineB
on 12/18/16 4:18 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

Aldi does have the basic fresh meats, ground beef, poultry and pork products. They also have frozen meats that are not processed like frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs and breasts, fish etc. Please come back and try again. Not all of their food is sugary foods.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

OneBlueSock
on 12/18/16 8:51 am
RNY on 06/21/17

I loved Aldi for the frozen fruits - you could get a big bag of frozen strawberries, raspberries, etc for very cheap.  We have one somewhat near me and I suspect I'll be visiting it more post surgery for things like milk, cheese, fruit and veggies.  

One of the things that many people use around here are grocery pre-order services.  There's a fee, of course, but it's worthwhile if you have trouble being bombarded by all the cakes, cookies, snacks, etc. that a lot of stores have all over.   I love that I can plan my week's menu, order the things I need....and I don't come home with an extra $50 of food I don't really need in my bags.

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/16 8:12 pm

It has always amazed me that Trader Joes and Aldi are both owned by the same company!  Trader Joes is great.  Aldi is low grade food.

ChristineB
on 12/19/16 6:39 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

IMHO Aldi has no frills food. Their Greek yogurt is great as is their Fit 'n Low brand. Read back through page one of this post and you will see what others have written including myself.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/19/16 4:14 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16
Most Active