No psychiatric evaluation approval

Gwen M.
on 12/16/16 6:04 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I had to have my psych eval by a psychiatrist, not a psychologist or a counselor.  

I wonder if your attitude of "I have no issues whatsoever" might be what the counselor is having problems with?  That can, potentially, raise red flags.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

IceCreamDivorce
on 12/16/16 6:12 pm

I didn't tell HER that. 

And no one is perfect. When I say "I have no issues.. " , I'm referring to addictions , psychological trauma or other issues that a lot of people have to deal with that could potentially stand out and cause someone to think I was not in a good place mentally. 

Gwen M.
on 12/16/16 6:14 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Well, unfortunately, you don't know what she took away from your meeting.  So regardless of what you say, it seems that she felt differently.  

And there could be a number of reasons for that, some valid, and some not.  :/

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/16/16 6:30 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Lack of major issues doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get psych clearance. It's absolutely possible that you (or the therapist thinks that you) don't fully understand what you're getting into for post-op life, and that your attitude towards that is causing issues.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

IceCreamDivorce
on 12/16/16 6:56 pm

I'm realizing that a post like this among strangers leaves much to interpretation ,imagination and judgment . I read somewhere that only 4-6% of people do not pass the psyche eval so it's understandable if I get replies from people that think I did something wrong or something is wrong with me to not get clearance. I was actually wondering if anyone had any issues with this part of the process. 

Seems not so I'll see a psychiatrist/ psychologist for a second opinion. My journey has been several years in the making with tons of mental and physical preparation. I hope it doesn't end here. Thanks for the feedback.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/17/16 6:55 am

Wow.. Just from a few answers on this post I can see red flags. 

When I was ready to have WLS - I had to deal with reality. Reality was - that there was something wrong with me physically and mentally where I allow myself to become MO. 

Needing WLS made me a humble person.  So I thought.  Not getting the RNY and the dealingnwiththe post op life and maintnace humbled me even more. 

Needing WLS - was admitting that I don't know what is wrong with me and how to fix it without medical interventions.   My attitude was that no matter how "stupid " I may think the team recommendation are going to be - I am ready to be 100 % compliant... For me - it was the low fat - with artificial sweeteners lots of protein drinks, the preop specified diet.. Etc etc etc.. 

I also understood that WLS is just a tool... And if I don't work on it - it is not going to work for me. And I had realistic expectations..SV and NSV... 

In my last 8 + years post op RNY - I got more humble that I thought was possible. I know that I don't know so much.  That allows me to be open to new ideas and concepts. 

Good luck on your journey. But I think you have a lot to learn ...about WLS and yourself. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rocky513
on 12/17/16 9:56 am - WI

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Donna L.
on 12/17/16 12:03 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Hala, this struck home so much.  WLS humbled me, as well.  It has been a hard road because I had to admit nothing else was working, even my rigidity and diet.  

Humility was the best thing for me.  I am still learning, too.  And I am grateful for it in a strange way.  Much of the best growth comes from being wrong, I think.  In my case it does.  It is a gift to find people who can be blunt and show us this.  I mean this sincerely, because it is when we are challenged that we can grow.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/17/16 11:03 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I don't think anyone is saying you did anything wrong. Some do see things in your post that you might not see in yourself yet. Sure you can pop around from 1 counselor/psychiatrist etc to the next & see which 1 approves you, or you could take a little of what they have to say & rethink things a little more.

While you're searching around take some time to think things over. You said you had no issues whatsoever that would make you stand out, maybe you do have issues. Most people have issues with food, that is nothing to be ashamed of, but it does need to be addressed & surgery won't solve that. That other counselor just wants to see you more, maybe she heard something or saw something in your demeanor that might not be there.

I hope you're as prepared mentally for surgery & beyond as you think you are.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

rocky513
on 12/17/16 10:06 am - WI

I know this is going to be hard to hear, and I really am trying to be supportive, but not passing the psyche evaluation may be a blessing in disguise.  I know you are disappointed, but the counselor saw something that signaled to her that you are not ready for surgery.  Everyone wants you to be successful.  In the scheme of things, working on your issues around food and other issues that may have sent red flags before surgery is a good thing.  

This WLS journey can be incredibly difficult emotionally.  Many of us fall into a downward spiral of depression after we lose our favorite coping mechanism...food.  Some of us continue to make poor food choices, even though we know we are sabotaging our own success.  Overcoming food addiction is hard work.  The surgery is the easy part.  The head stuff is what causes many of us to fail.

If you want to be successful, working on issues before surgery is really a better plan than trying to wing it after surgery.

Best of luck to you.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active