Hashimoto's, Reflux, and Dairy

Donna L.
on 12/16/16 1:45 pm, edited 12/16/16 1:45 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have talked about it elsewhere, but I had really bad GERD post-sleeve!  After talking to Hala I began investigating causes and eliminating food.  It turns out dairy was a big trigger.  I eliminated all whey and most dairy from my diet.  I still do use some cream and butter, but aside from that, nope.  I switched to egg, pea, and beef protein versus whey and the difference was amazing.

Izabella Wentz is a pharmacist who wrote about this.  Apparently Hashimoto's can also cause GERD because hypothyroid stuff mucks with stomach acid production.  Eliminating gluten and dairy helps quite a bit.

Don't have Hashimoto's?  You might, because 90% of hypothyroid individuals have it.  Not all know about it, and often we can have autoimmunity but fall outside of the diagnostic range.

Here is a big article on dairy and hypothyroidism in case it is useful for others!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active