Long Term Maintenance with the DS

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/14/16 4:52 pm, edited 12/14/16 6:44 pm
<br />
I see a lot of new people coming on this site, and want to just mention to the newbies that while there is not a large presence of DS patients on this forum.....there is another surgery (other than the RNY or VSG). <br />
<br />
I'm not advocating the DS for anyone- just saying that it should be considered when you are researching surgeries. The DS does statistically have the highest long term success rate for losing weight and maintaining weight loss. <br />
<br />
I had the DS because I really was able to evaluate my ability to diet. I can't diet long term. I've been overweight all my life, I tried dieting for over 20 years prior to surgery and it didn't work. Before surgery, I was scheduled to have the RNY- but I didn't want a stoma, I didn't want to dump, and I didn't want to struggle with weight loss maintenance, and I didn't want to regain. <br />
<br />
I wanted to eat normally...and the DS has allowed me to eat normally for the last decade. There are plenty of people that have been successful with other surgeries, but the requirements are different. I see many RNYers and people with the VSG eating 1000 calories a day. I can take vitamins...I can't eat 1000 calories a day (i eat that before noon usually). I typically eat 3000 to 4000 calories a day....sometimes more...sometimes less. I don't monitor what I eat....there is no calorie counting, there is no "watching what I eat every meal". If i want a piece of cake I have it, if I want a few cookies I eat them. <br />
<br />
I have some restriction--but restriction lessens overtime with all surgeries. I have a VSG (the stomach part of the DS), and I can tell you I get hungry (so don't buy the lie that you will never feel hunger again EDITED TO ADD: some people do not get hungry...but many do...there are also different kinds of hunger physical/head/reaction to stress as a coping mechanism-all of these do not automatically go away). <br />
<br />
So before you have surgery ask yourselves the following 2 question: <br />
<br />
Can you eat a reduced calorie diet long term? <br />
Can you take vitamins long term? <br />
Which do you do better?<br />
<br />
Of course the DS is not for everyone-nor should anyone that cannot commit to regular labs and suppliments (on that not you shouldn't get the RNY either. <br />
<br />
(I'm treating lightly by posting this...this is a very controversial topic...apparently). <br />
<br />
Scott
hollykim
on 12/14/16 5:54 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 15, 2016 at 12:52 AM Pacific Time, Beam me up Scottie wrote:

I see a lot of new people coming on this site, and want to just mention to the newbies that while there is not a large presence of DS patients on this forum.....there is another surgery (other than the RNY or VSG).

I'm not advocating the DS for anyone- just saying that it should be considered when you are researching surgeries. The DS does statistically have the highest long term success rate for losing weight and maintaining weight loss.

I had the DS because I really was able to evaluate my ability to diet. I can't diet long term. I've been overweight all my life, I tried dieting for over 20 years prior to surgery and it didn't work. Before surgery, I was scheduled to have the RNY- but I didn't want a stoma, I didn't want to dump, and I didn't want to struggle with weight loss maintenance, and I didn't want to regain.

I wanted to eat normally...and the DS has allowed me to eat normally for the last decade. There are plenty of people that have been successful with other surgeries, but the requirements are different. I see many RNYers and people with the VSG eating 1000 calories a day. I can take vitamins...I can't eat 1000 calories a day (i eat that before noon usually). I typically eat 3000 to 4000 calories a day....sometimes more...sometimes less. I don't monitor what I eat....there is no calorie counting, there is no "watching what I eat every meal". If i want a piece of cake I have it, if I want a few cookies I eat them.

I have some restriction--but restriction lessens overtime with all surgeries. I have a VSG (the stomach part of the DS), and I can tell you I get hungry (so don't buy the lie that you will never feel hunger again).

So before you have surgery ask yourselves the following 2 question:

Can you eat a reduced calorie diet long term?
Can you take vitamins long term?
Which do you do better?

Of course the DS is not for everyone-nor should anyone that cannot commit to regular labs and suppliments (on that not you shouldn't get the RNY either.

(I'm treating lightly by posting this...this is a very controversial topic...apparently).

Scott

I don't think you can say " never feeling hunger again" is a lie. Just because it is that way for you and some others ,doesn't mean it is that way for everyone. 

I have had a sleeved stomach for 7. Years and I don't get hungry.

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/14/16 6:42 pm, edited 12/14/16 10:44 am
I meant that in general doctors will tell patients they won't have hunger again...and that is only sometimes true. To say people that have a VSG will never have hunger (as an absolute) is a lie. I've seen plenty of DSers and VSG people post that they are hunger.

Scott

PS I edited my post to make that clarification.
Valerie G.
on 12/18/16 5:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I, too, get hungry.  It's easier to ignore, though....but knowing my DS works for me, I don't ignore it.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/15/16 2:23 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I found out recently that my weight loss center does DS surgery. You don't see it on their website because apparently it is offered on a case by case basis (mostly for SMO).  One person I know is having it.  He was over 700 and really unhealthy when he came to them.  They worked with him to get to a healthy enough place for VSG and now he is healthy enough to finish off the DS.  

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/15/16 6:23 pm
There are light weights that get the DS, or those that want to resolve diabetes (the intestinal part of the DS is done in Europe to "cure" diabetes. But you are right it is really good for those that are SMO. Had I been thinner, been a light weight and obesity was a later in life phenomenon, I would have considered the VSG. But I was a fat kid, and a fatter adult. The sleeve would have been an epic failure.

Scott
Gwen M.
on 12/16/16 4:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Not sure where my comment went so I'll repost it.  

I definitely eat normally post-VSG.  But I eat normally for a healthy-weighted person than for an SMO person.  Clearly DS works for people, most of the surgery options work for people, but for me, the DS would have just let me continue my unhealthy lifestyle and that's not what I wanted.  I wanted to be forced/motivated to be a healthier person.  

What are your bowel movements like post-op?  I've read a lot about horrible diarrhea post-DS, noxious flatulence, and other bowel/intestinal issues.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Valerie G.
on 12/18/16 5:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I have one very large bowel movement first thing in the morning. That's it for me for the rest of the day.  My stool is loose but controlled.  I distinguish this because it's not diarrhea to the point where I ever have to run to the toilet.  The flatulence can be brutal, but totally controlled by what I eat.  It took me years to learn that some triggers were staples in my diet, like onions and regular milk (but I could do other dairy fine)....even terriyaki sauce, which  continues to baffle me.  Once eliminated, I was amazed at the difference.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/16/16 4:54 am
On December 15, 2016 at 12:33 AM Pacific Time, Beam me up Scottie wrote: I caved into the pressure and stopped my loss.. I could have easily gone down another 10 to 20 lbs. I had to eat 6000K calories a day (a lot of simple carbs) to stop my loss. I do not agree with BMI scales, but the biggest issue is that we lose weight unevenly in our faces. It makes us look "drawn".

You may want to consider getting injectables in your cheeks. If I had known about when I was losing, I would have done it then when people were saying they thought i had a terminal disease.

Scott

Wow..6000 calories it is a lot of food and lot of wasted money...that basicaly goes to the toilet.  

Even before RNY I often had days I did not want to eat a lot of food. I was never "volume eater".  Sweets and carbs were my downfall.  I would bake a cake or cookies ...and eat them. I was - I am a great cook- baker. 

I know even if I had a choice - DS would not have been good WLS for me.  Probably VSG would be ideal... But then again - with my past sugar "addiction" - it may not work well for me weight wise.  But I honestly would exchange being as skinny as I am now for more normal life. 

I know some DS people IRL. When we go out to eat - I make sure they bring the extra butter.... And once I had my helping - the rest (not much left) is for them.  Lol. 

Their portion are as mine - maybe a tad bigger? But not by much.  They need to be careful about carb and grains as I am.  Or they gain.  Or get sick - gas, cramps, etc. 

And ..in a second year post op RNY - I also had to increase my calories to stop losing. And in my case - my body fat % got so low that it affected my hormons. (hormons are made from fat) 

I can't imagine having to eat more than I already was.. .  

Some people need to be able to eat high volume and almost anything they feel like eating.  For those people - you need to eat - what ever it is - their stress, emotions, good or bad feelings - DS may be a good choice.  As long as they have enough money now and in the future for lots of high quality food, vitamins, minerals, doctor visits, lab work, etc etc...  Because if they done follow proper diet and suplementation for life - they'll simple die ... Or get very very sick.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/16/16 1:53 pm
That was posted on another thread about the a time just after I reached my goal weight. At that time, i was weightlifting 5 days a week and exercising the other 2 (active recovery). It is very common for weight lifters to need to eat more calories, because building muscle burns a LOT of calories. That is why they make mass building shakes for people that did not have WLS. I could have gone to the doctor and gotten digestive enzymes...but he would have likely made me wait, since I was at the very high end of a normal BMI....just barely at 25 (we know that did not account for my excess skin after losing 300 lbs).

I currently eat 3000-4000 calories a day on average. Sometimes more ...sometimes less. It doesn't go into the toilet....I have 1 good BM a day like clockwork. Normal consistancy. I don't have gas issues...unless I eat Tuna with extra mayo. I dont' know why, but that particular food just does not agree with me.

I am actually starting to weight lift again and on a "clean eating" kick. So my eating is much healthier than most. I do not typically eat fast food, I do not eat a lot of white products-not because I can't...but because aside from weight gain...those products can cause inflamation and other things. I do eat high protein and high fat diet...with a good quality high fiber carbs. On days I eat high sugar...especially now around the holiday...i don't sweat it, because it won't cause me to gain.

Good point about the labs/vits etc though!
I've had perfect labs for 10 years. I really recommend following Vitalady's plan for RNYers and DSers for newbies. It's what has kept me going. There are plenty of RNyers and DSers over the years that have had trouble keeping up basic supplimentation/labs and then come back years later with issues. Even with supplimentation, I've seen people with both surgeries requiring iron infusions (more RNYers post about that then DSers, but I suspect that's only because there are more RNYers) on this ste.