Getting through the holidays

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/14/16 4:09 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

So inspiring! Question: do you use any online support outside of OH for sobriety? My BIL is about 6 months sober and struggling but refuses to go to AA, as he is kind of antisocial. He does use his computer a lot, so I wondered if online support might help him (as OH does for us).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/16 5:20 am

I am sure there are websites. I really don't use one for support.

There are a lot of predators who go to AA to meet women. So I have to be extra careful. 

A lot of anti-social people are in AA. Most of us were loners at one time. I know I was a loner drunk during the last few years of my drinking.

Going to AA is hard sometimes. People are really nice. I know that sounds weird but it can be overwhelming at times. It is like what do you want from me?

I hope you brother in-law at least goes to therapy. I do. It helps me stay sober. It also helps me validate my feelings.

One thing that may help him is if you go to a meeting for family members of AA. 

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/14/16 5:30 am, edited 12/13/16 9:30 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Thank you! My SIL has gone (his wife). She is really worried about him backsliding as he had been making comments that indicate that he thinks he can now have one drink periodically.  My SIL will leave him if he does.  It got REALLY bad before he stopped (and was for a long time).  He stopped cold-turkey and ended up with seizures and had to be put in a medically induced coma for a few days.  He mentally is finally who he used to be but so frightening that he may not retain his sobriety.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/16 5:46 am

I went cold turkey. I had to. I know a lot of people do go to rehab and it has helped them. 

I am sorry about your sister in-law but sometimes we do have to leave a situation so the person realizes what they are doing. Also he needs to stay sober for himself to. 

Her seeking therapy would help her. My heart hurts for the pain that I caused my family. I do have to look forward and not back. I try not to relive it in my head. 

When someone thinks they can control their drinking when they couldn't before they are lying to themselves. After I had surgery I was good with three glasses of wine. No such luck with controlled drinking. I know I can never have anything alcoholic to drink.

I hope he finds help. I really hope for your sister in-law to get help also. 

Gina 22 years out
on 12/18/16 7:27 am - Burleson, TX

Susan, my BEAUTIFUL friend...you continue to amaze and inspire me :)

Please do me, and others a favor...Go back...edit your original post, and include "Before and Current" pictures 

You never know how many lives you will impact!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things