How does new research about the gut microbiome affect surgeries

Does anyone know? The microbiome is the hottest thing in medicine now and I know there is a bunch of research about to be released with regard to MS (which I have). Does anyone have info/opinions/experience with this or do you not know what I'm talking about?! :)

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/12/16 5:51 pm

New studies are showing that the microbiome is critical....to anything. And everything. Physical, mental, functional functions of our systems. 

Some studies link microphone to mental issues - things like autism, schizophrenia, depression, etc etc etc. 

I personally know that things like SIBO can be responsible for roseacea, sebhoriec dermatitis, fibromyalgia, leaky gut, food allergies and intolerances... And so on. 

Microbiome is linked to disbetes, anderal insufficiency, autoimmune issues - like lupus, thyroid issues. Etc... Etc etc..  

There are trilion bacteria in our bodies compared to billions cells that create us. So...there are more bacteria in us than us... 

They just scratched the surface of the microbiome and our health. Physical and mental. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Heather_Austin
on 12/12/16 5:54 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I've been following this somewhat since I read about it in one of my science magazines 2 or 3 years ago.  It's definitely interesting.  I'm an Engineer and design systems using microbial bacteria to eat hydrogen sulfide and was familiar with bacteria helping us digest food, etc.  I just didn't realize our gut microbiomes vary so much or that we could change it by our own food choices.  It makes sense.  In the systems I design, the makeup and density of the microbes naturally change and grow to "eat" what it's being given.  It seems the same thing happens in our gut.

I don't know how this translates to action for an individual to change their own microbe to effect the change they want such as burning fat, but it's interesting that they are studying it.  Who knows there may be a magic diet pill in the future - one full of microbes. 

Heather - Austin, TX

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/12/16 7:02 pm, edited 12/12/16 11:06 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I saw this the other day - I did not track down the original publication, but you can.

Health News | Wed Mar 27, 2013 | 2:01pm EDT

After weight-loss surgery, new gut bacteria keep obesity away

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-obesity-surgery-bacteria-idUSBRE92Q0ZQ20130327

Weight-Loss Surgery Changes Gut Bacteria

By Rachael Rettner, Senior Writer | August 4, 2015 12:17pm ET   

http://www.livescience.com/51739-bariatric-surgery-gut-bacteria.html            

Sharon

Lucyvanpelt
on 12/12/16 7:28 pm

Would these discoveries about the gut give you pause about having surgery, especially the RNY. I'm considering a revision from VSG to RNY.It would seem as though our surgeries would get rid of millions of microorganisms we might need. (???)

Heather_Austin
on 12/12/16 8:37 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I just looked through the articles Sharon referenced above.  It seems surgery helps.  The other things I've read seem to indicate the same thing.  If anything the surgery seems to help eliminate some of the bad microbes.  I personally think the research is too preliminary to base a decision regarding surgery.

Kathy S.
on 12/13/16 7:27 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi 

Welcome Back to OH.  If you would like to access and use your old account let me know and I can help you.

Regards,

Kathy

ObesityHelp

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

TaffySaltwater
on 12/13/16 1:53 pm
VSG on 03/11/16

I believe that for some people, at least, a fecal transplant from a non-obese person may be the upcoming obesity treatment.  Of course, it would be a tool just like our surgeries and would have to be worked accordingly.

Most Active