New to bariatric surg. Any advice is welcome. Worried.

newbsontheblock
on 12/11/16 6:18 pm

My name is Liz and I have my surgical scheduling appt on Jan 6th. I have many reservations about this surgery. This will be a lengthy one, sorry. A little background first. My weight has caused a lot of problems, infertility for one, back and hip problems for another. I produce too much estrogen because of my weight, therefore I don't ovulate. No eggs, no babies. No babies, giant gaping hole in my heart. I've had 2 miscarriages when I wasn't so big and the causes are unknown. After those I just lost all control. Don't get me wrong, I've always been big, but now my bmi is over 60. That's really big. Secondly, my back. I've already had 1 back surgery last January and it worked for awhile. I had a ruptured disc. Since then, things have gotten worse in my hips, but better in my back. Now they want to do a spinal fusion, but refuse to do it until I have bariatric surgery. They want the weight off in a hurry. I'm worried that my surgical good luck will eventually run out. I'm afraid of losing my lifestyle. I don't know what's on the other side. I don't want to be who I was when I was smaller. I do want the pain to go away. I do want to wear my favorite sweater again. I do want to play with my nephew like he wants me to. I want a normal life again, but I'm afraid. Any words of wisdom for the young and naive?

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/11/16 7:42 pm
Do a lot of research. Sometimes surgeons sell you on the surgery they can do rather than the one that is best for you.

Good luck to you.

Scott
newbsontheblock
on 12/11/16 8:31 pm

I have done some research. I'm currently doing my second round of physical therapy. The pt doesn't seem to be working, the steroid shots don't seem to be working. I'm kind of at a loss here. The research I have done is very encouraging. I guess what I'm looking for are possible drawbacks that don't show up in normal articles or places like that. Things that I need to be prepared for that I don't know about. I'm just worried. I know I'll be fine and it'll be a good thing and it'll give me a new lease on life. I'm ready to live without pain. I'm 32 and I'm a worry wart. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/12/16 5:31 pm
I have multiple herniated disks in my back when I had the DS in my early 30s. I was extremely limited in my ability to move pre-and post surgery.

However, after losing a couple of hundred lbs movement became a lot easier. But not all the pain went away. I still go for pain management. It is a lot better, and I came off a ton of meds, but still need a daily anti inflammatory and muscle relaxer.

Before you get a WLS you may want to think about your pain management needs long term. I'm still able to take NASIDs....I take one daily...you cannot do that with some of the surgeries.

Scott
Valerie G.
on 12/13/16 9:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You'll see many happy people in this population, however go up to the Forums link, and check out some specific forms for WLS Regrets, WLS Revisions and Failed WLS (or something like that).  You'll be able to get a count of the darker side of WLS in general.  I also highly recommend looking into the DS, for at your BMI, it's going to give you the best chances of getting down to a decent weight and being able to keep it off. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

gogirl04
on 12/11/16 11:16 pm

I had gastric sleeve surgery 3 years ago.  I had a lot of health issues, all of which have disappeared since the weight loss.  It is definitely a life changing experience.  I was hesitate right up until 5 minutes before the surgery and knew it was the right choice.  Don't be afraid, it's an awesome transformation.  It requires a lot of discippline post op but well worth it.  It sounds like all your health issues are weight related and you will be surprised how much better you will feel when the weight starts to come off.  I recommend you start an exercise regimen, walking is really good for you.  Start out with short walks and as you lose the weight lengthen your daily walks.  I started with 1/2 mile and now walk 5 miles a day.  If you have any questions let me know.  Good luck !

Insert Fitness
on 12/12/16 3:48 am

I'm only three months post op, but here's my newbie input.

its already the best decision I've ever made. I asked my surgeon to compare the complication and mortality rates of my hospital to the national average. I then asked him to compare those rates against other types of surgeries I might be looking at in the future. I.e. Heart surgery, hip replacements, other gastrointestinal surgeries. Wls had lower rates across the board.

Im still early days, but I don't think my lifestyle has changed, it's just more. More energy to do the things I love, with the people I care about. I don't have to ration my energy. I don't have to do as much strategic thinking when planning activities around my limitations, I can be more spontaneous. 

And feeling like an active participant in my health and my future is something I didn't even realize was missing from my life until recently.

WLS isn't a cure, and isn't a guarantee of good health, but all the evidence shows it's the strongest tool we have to get us there.

good luck in your research.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/12/16 4:53 am, edited 12/12/16 12:08 am

WLS will change your life. But like anything else - it is just a tool. No matter what WLS surgery you decide  to get. It should help you lose the weight fast if you work it. 

Once the weight is off - hopefully most of your other issues would improve and some may go away. Or not. 

I had back issues - even after I lost weight - I still have back issues.  But at least now the docs can't blame it on "you are too heavy".   But ...since NSAIDs (non steroidal anti-inflammatory meds) are not recommended post op any WLS, and especially post op RNY - I am now stuck to take Tylenol or narcotic pills when my back flares up.  It is my new reality.  

I am not putting  this out  to scare you but to present the reality of life some of us still has to deal after WLS. 

Years of damage I did to my back and body before I had WLS is catching up with me.  

Long term maintenance to keep the weight off requires a lot of work. And diligence.  Some other issues may pop up (like hernia, food allergies and intolerances, mineral -vitamin deficiencies - just to name a few) . 

But..Some of those I could have with or without WLS... At least now - I can deal with them as I discover them... 

And since I am "normal size " now - even docs and other medical professionals can't try to blame my symptoms on "you are fat..lose some weight...". But now they blame some of my "new" issues on RNY. 

I am glad you are not taking WLS lightly ... It is a life altering decision.   It can change your life for better long term as long as you are willing and able to put the work in it long term.  

Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/16 7:27 am

Reading here on the forums is a good place to come. I had wanted to have the surgery for years before I actually had the nerve well I don't want to say nerve. I just knew it was time. 

Research and make sure you are ready to do this. This is a life changer. It has been good for me. Am I the same person yes and no. I still have anxiety I still have depression. 

My surgery has made my life better in the long run. Seeking therapy for my mental health issues has helped me also. 

It feel so good to be able to do things I couldn't do before. Just going up and down the stairs was a chore for me. Now I can walk five miles with no problem. 

It is normal to be fearful. It is scary. Getting support is really important. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/12/16 7:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'd suggest finding a copy of the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies." It's a FANTASTIC overview of the procedure itself, post-op life, and overall what you can expect.

Beyond that, lurking on the forums can give you a good picture of life on the "other side." The daily menu thread on the RNY and VSG boards can be a great insight to what you'll be eating immediately post-op and for the rest of your life. Flip through NSV (non-scale victory) posts too, to see some of the great things people have done after getting to a healthy size.

However -- WLS will not necessarily "take the weight off in a hurry." Surgery is not magic, and while many folks lose rapidly for the first month or two post-op, it will likely take a year or more to get to a "normal" BMI, whatever that may be for you, from a starting BMI of 60.

Stick around, do some reading, and hang in there. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active