Hello

Teshaallen33
on 12/6/16 7:27 am

I love sweets and I have high bp which I take two medications for

pammieanne
on 12/6/16 7:37 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I chose the RNY because that's the one that I've seen more people have to be honest. A secondary decision was my Bariatric nurse friend also recommended the RNY. I talked with my doctor and he agreed to do either one. I like the extra restriction, and the possibility of dumping (I haven't even tested that theory beyond a VERY small bite of some sweet) to help keep me honest. I wasn't thrilled with the malabsorption, but I'm not in my twenties... that may have played a part if I were younger.

I'm very happy with my results thus far. I feel good, and I'm healthy.

I think if you pick a good doctor (Center of Excellence) and talk to them, they will also help you decide which one is best for you personally.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Teshaallen33
on 12/6/16 8:19 am

I have my first siminar Jan 4 so I'll figure out what doctor I will go with.

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/16 8:28 am
RNY on 09/26/16

I was convinced I needed and wanted the sleeve. I had read so many things and thought the recovery time would be less than Gastric. However, when I had my Endoscopy, they discovered I had had issue with my esophagus ( Barretts Esophagus) and a HIetal Hernia. My surgeon would not let me get a sleeve based on those results.. he was able to repair the hernia during surgery. So in MY case the decision was made for me. and I certainly have no regrets.

NHPOD9
on 12/6/16 8:42 am

Sounds like you selected a good surgeon.  Too many surgeons perform the sleeve on patients with documented cases of GERD.  To me, that is like playing Russian Roulette with your health. Many patients don't do enough research to realize that the sleeve can make reflux worse (or even cause it in when they did not have it before).

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/6/16 9:01 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Talk to your surgeon; he/she can make recommendations based on your specific health case.

A couple of general guidelines, though (observations, not medical advice):

If you have diabetes, go with RNY; it has the best rates of immediately putting it in remission.

If you have issues with sweets, RNY may help because of dumping, but this does not happen to all patients and it's not something you can count on.

If you have GERD or acid issues, DON'T have the sleeve, it can cause serious issues.

If you have an exceptionally high BMI, consider the DS as it's got good results with SMO folks.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/7/16 2:52 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had GERD, high BP, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and was pre-diabetic. I love sweets.  However my BMI was "only" 39 and I was nervous about the malabsorption.  My surgeon does VSG, RNY and DS.  She recommended VSG, but would have done RNY if I wanted it. I felt most comfortable with VSG and so far it has been great.  I also had a hiatal hernia causing the GERD which was corrected. The only medication remaining is an extremely low-dose of BP medication which my PCP told me to start cutting in half.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Teshaallen33
on 12/7/16 4:50 am

Thank you

Tri_harder
on 12/7/16 5:31 am

I was in the Restore trial back in 2007 for an enlarge stoma.  Dr. Mitchelle Roslin at the end of the trial concluded that it is best to keep the pyloric valve (the valve between the stomach and the intestine) like in the DS and VSG.  If you have the RNY have the surgeon use a very small stoma hole maker punch.  I had a "stricture resistant" stoma hole maker which failed to keep food in my pouch from the get go.  Tri