Hello

Teshaallen33
on 12/5/16 4:51 pm

Which surgery should I choose? Leaning towards RNY

White Dove
on 12/5/16 5:37 pm - Warren, OH

RNY is a good surgery.  Your surgeon and research will help you decide if it is the best choice for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Teshaallen33
on 12/5/16 7:08 pm

Thank you

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/5/16 6:21 pm
You should really do some research. There are several surgeries out there...and there is no "perfect" surgery. I would recommmend looking at the big 3....VSG, RNY, and DS. I was SMO, and having the DS was the best decision I could have ever made, but it's not for everyone.

Scott
Teshaallen33
on 12/5/16 7:09 pm

Thanks

Tri_harder
on 12/7/16 5:25 am

Hi Scott

I was in the Restore trial in 2007 lead by your surgeon.  Bottom line was that a surgery sparing the stomach outlet was the most successful because the "stomas" fail so frequently.  Good choice getting the DS.  I weighed 200 lbs. and the RNY failed me terribly.  The other good thing out of his study was the lifelong diet plan (basically 3 servings each: fat, dairy, starch, meat, veggies, fruit). Tri 

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/7/16 10:46 am
Thank you. I knew I couldn't diet for the rest of my life, I would have failed at that...I had for 33 years, a surgery wasn't going to change that.

Dr. Roslin actually recommended the DS for me. At the time I was almost 500 lbs. He said that I would have the best chance at getting to a normal weight with the DS. He was right! I've been at goal for close to a decade without dieting. My understanding is that he no longer performs the RNY only the DS or the Loop DS (which I do not think is necessarily a good option because it is still being evaluated).
justsonya
on 12/6/16 5:14 am
RNY on 09/01/16

I chose RNY for a few reasons:

1) I was pre-diabetic going into my surgery program and was concerned that even with VSG (my doctor only does the two and revisions) the diabetic issue wouldn't resolve.

2) I wanted a solution that was harder to trick or out-think and somewhat easier to maintain, because I've had friends with VSG, RNY and lap band, and the ones who managed to maintain most of their weight loss over the past 5-8 years were the ones with RNY. You can eat your way past all of the options but my friends with RNY said the initial restriction and dumping problems really helped them retrain themselves and reset their lifestyle.

3) The malabsorption benefits were an additional booster to me. 

rachelp
on 12/6/16 7:15 am
VSG on 08/01/16

It really depends on a lot of different things. I chose the sleeve for specific reasons such as I didn't have any comorbidities so I didn't want the malabsorption. I wanted less chances of complications. I simply just wanted a smaller stomach.  

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

rachelp
on 12/6/16 7:17 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Oh, and I have never liked sweets so "dumping" was not a necessity. Some people need that.