Pre-op Diet

chorizaaa
on 12/3/16 6:25 pm
RNY on 12/16/16

Hello all, 

I am new to the site. I went to the OH conference in Anaheim this year and was so inspired by everyone I met! I was finally cleared for surgery in October and am having RNY on 12/16/16. I am on day 2 of my pre-op liquid diet and I have to say that so far it isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. Of course I have heard the horror stories but I am feeling good and super motivated! I can't wait to update on my progress post-op!

-Clarissa

Pokemom
on 12/3/16 9:42 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

So excited for you!  Soon you will be on the losing side of the fence.  I wish you the best with your surgery.  Keep coming here for support and advice.  OH made such a big difference for me, especially in the first few weeks and months.  It STILL makes a difference for me 2 years out!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/4/16 1:45 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

The pre-op diet is not a problem for everyone - glad it's going well for you.  It was OK for me - the promise of having the WLS helped me make good decisions during that period.

There's plenty of room on the Loser's Bench for you - we just moved down.

Best of everything on your surgery.

Sharon

ttfan
on 12/4/16 3:03 am
RNY on 08/15/16

I think the pre op diet is a mindset, Just set your mind to this is how it is and just get through it, your doing great and the 16th will be here before you know it!!

High weight 335,Surgery weight 293.5,

M1- 24.5 lb,. M2 14, M3-9.5, M4- 7.5, M5- 6.5

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/4/16 4:21 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I agree that being okay with the pre-op diet is mindset. Some people seem to be mourning the potential loss of food enjoyment at this point and they seem to struggle the most. Those who are excited about starting the WL journey seem to do better with it.  B**** 8 months post-op I think I enjoy the smaller food portions more than the overly large ones I used to have.  I also only eat what I really want (not just because it is there).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Hilda25
on 12/4/16 8:05 pm, edited 12/4/16 12:05 pm
RNY on 03/16/15

I as you know, I struggled with the pre-op diet. A big part of it for me was that I quit caffeine on the same day that I started my 2 week liquid diet. For those of you starting this process I suggest quitting caffeine (if you're addicted like I was) sooner rather than later.

RNY 3/16/15 HW 277 SW 263 CW 156

pr31
on 12/5/16 6:49 am

The 2nd day was my only really bad day - killer headache.  I hated the shakes my center provided and that was the only brand I was allowed to use.  I forced them down and then enjoyed the broth, sugar free popsicles, etc.  that I was allowed.  I had given up caffeine a few months before and was trying to limit carbs in order to limit the withdrawl.  I didn't notice any energy loss and really wasn't overly hungry.  Like you I was super-motivated to finally have made it to the last pre-op phase.  If you start the pre-op diet without weaning off the caffeine and carbs I'm sure it's much harder as the body has to detox.

Best wishes!

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

mb_11
on 12/8/16 10:21 am

I got the headache on the 2nd day also! I am having my surgery next Wednesday. The diet is OK because I know it's very short term. And as far as willpower goes, I'm not really tempted because I know I CAN'T cheat (I tell myself it's life or death, even though it probably isn't!).

The only thing that really tempted me was gouda cheese slices we have in the fridge. I came very close to eating one, but looked at the fat content. I can have them later! It's not worth it! :-) 

Most Active