3yrs after RNY and gaining weight.... Im sick and tired of being sick

Grim_Traveller
on 11/28/16 5:05 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think the target range they gave you is crap. My surgeon's goal for me was 250, at 6'3". I've been at 190 for over 3 years. 

If 250 to 270 is ok with you, that's ok with me. It's certainly better than where you started, right? But if you want to put in the work, you can do a lot better.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

tg2013
on 11/28/16 1:59 pm - Ottawa, Canada

No I am not happy with what they say is the "ideal" for me   I want to be back down at the 220lbs level  I was the most happy at this weight  then again I was fully into complications   but happy

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/28/16 3:33 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

How tall are you?

Sharon

tg2013
on 11/28/16 3:58 pm - Ottawa, Canada

6'2" 

you are correct  there is a lot to learn  I am finding that there is a lot of great information on this forum but I think I am going into information overload It's been One day since I posted and I have so much to go through and re read and figure out what is the good info and  the maybe does not pertain to my situation info.

posting on my banner  means what?    I can't even figure out how to change my profile picture   LOL

Troy

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/28/16 6:48 pm

Just sit back and read things again when you have time.  Time is what you have. 

What you are doing now is not working for your.  So you need to change that. 

You need to find a plan that is going to work for you. Only only you. But I don't believe food plan loaded with carbs is going to work for you. 

When I had to reset - and lose my regain - I changed one thing at a time. First I limited carbs - and I removed all grains from my diet. I eat proteins and veggies. I did not limit quantity or how often I ate.  My fridgevwas full of meats, eggs, cold cuts, cheese...etc.  No sugar or low sugar pickles, mayo, mustard, olives..etc.. 

I ate until I was full. I tried to eat slowly. 

After a few days I noticed I was not very hungry and much less food was making me full and keeping me full.  

In First 2 months I lost 15 lbs of my regain. That was enough for me to know I was on a right track. 

Eventually I lost all my regain.  And then some. 

Start slowly.  Change one thing. Maybe for you that would be drinking more water.

Reset.. Eat the food. Don't drink it.

Good luck. .. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkinnyScientist
on 11/28/16 3:44 am

Hi Friend,

First I second what Sharon said. You have kept 100 pounds off.

Second, like you my metabolism is/was off. It was 80% of a normal humans (i.e. my metabolism is 20% slower than everyone else). What did that mean?  Well, I had to have surgery for one. I still eat a really small meal. Anywhere between 1/2-1 cup.  Usually I eat just half a cup. If I get hungry in 2 hours, well then I will eat that second half cup OR some non-starchy veg.

Question-are you drinking your calories. Like hot apple cider, hot chocolate, milk, or anything else?

I agree with what all the posters said about carbs. They got to go. For me and PCOS, if I eat carbs I gain. Notably, the dietician at my bariatric doctor said that I should eat ALL food groups and dont avoid carbs. This was in direct opposition to what my endocrinologist and nurse practiconer told me.

Try to eat high protein, reasonable about of fat and low glycemic index (when you do eat carbs..keep them low in quantity and low on the glycemic index scale).

Drink water. Are you retaining water?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

tg2013
on 11/28/16 2:04 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks for your comments .  I do drink water but I don't retain it although I did a 24 hr urine collection for my kidney stones and drank water a lot  more than 2 litres   but when I had to "use" the collection container  less than 1 litre of urine was present  so maybe that is something I need to look into . the nephrologist actually commented on how little urine I collected during the test and asked me if I drank the recommended amount and I did so  hmmmm   interesting 

troy

Kathy S.
on 11/28/16 12:21 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome to ObesityHelp    Our members are the BEST!  I can't really add to all the great suggestions and advice. I do know that when I started regaining I had gotten away from some of the basics that make a difference.  Here is a list I created that helps.  See if there are a couple of them you may not be doing and hopefully it will help.  

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits. 

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker.  Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Dusty05231950
on 11/30/16 7:21 am

You still have a large stomach even tho you had an RNY.  If your insurance allows bariatric surgery, I would talk to a Bariatric Doctor and do a RNY to VGS (vertical gastric sleeve) The VGS takes up to 80-85% of your stomach out and leaves a nice banana shaped stomach that holds a few ounces of food compared to what you're probably eating right now. Do your research on doctors and the procedure. Research is the key to success. If you are willing to go to Mexico, there is Endobariatrics Dr, Alverez, and Pompeii Surgical with Dr. Q............These are two of the leading bariatric surgeons across the border 1 mile into Mexico. These are United State registered companies in San Diego California. The price varies from $4500 to $8500 for Dr. Alverez........AGAIN DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Pokemom
on 12/3/16 10:53 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

This information is wrong.  The RNY surgery leaves a little pouch instead of a stomach, and I think the OP said his surgeon checked, and his pouch is still very small (like an egg size, I think).  A VGS leaves a much bigger stomach remnant that the RNY pouch.

Also, I don't think it is possible to do RNY to VGS.  You might be able to go the other way, though.

Finally, this post really sounds like a marketing post.

Don't believe anything in this post, IMO.