3yrs after RNY and gaining weight.... Im sick and tired of being sick

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/27/16 1:34 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

You'd think that, huh? But, in my experience this isn't the case. There isn't a special dietician school that they attend for bariatric clinics. I use a 5-star center at the Cleveland Clinic. If I ate the way the dietician advised there (using outdate US food pyramid crap) designed for typical weighted people who've never been obese, there's no way I would have lost all my excess weight and maintained it this far.

Let's take a look at your diary. Let's start by throwing out the fat. That doesn't matter. It's really only these three things: Calories, carbs and protein that you have to watch. For me (and you will be different, as you are a man and can likely eat a lot more) -- I must stay under 950 calories, under 40 grams of carbs and above 75/80 grams of protein to consistently lose weight. If I eat more than 50 g of carbs or over 1100 calories -- I gain.

Let's start with your breakfast. From 630 to 1130, you have consumed almost my full day of carbs at 34.

1 cup of decafe tea 0 cal 0 carbs 0 protein

2 Splenda sweeteners 8 cal 2 carbs 0 protein

1 tsp. of 1% milk 2 cal 0 carbs 0 protein

1 vitamin water zero 0 cal 4 carbs 0 protein

4 bagel bites 200 cal 28 carbs 6 protein *you said 8: perhaps you have toppings?)

1 vitamin water zero 0 cal 4 carbs 0 protein

Total breakfast: 210 calories 34 carbs 7 protein

So far, carb heavy and protein low. Switch out the bagel bites for two scrambled eggs -- you'd drop nearly 100 calories and 28 carbs while adding another 8 grams of protein.

Moving onto lunch. For ease, I am calling lunch from 11:30 to 4:30. You give no actual measurements except by cup. You must WEIGH your solid protein to be accurate - so I added the weights that you should measure on your scale. This can be another issue that is keeping you from being at your goal. At lunch, you've exceeded the number of carbs I eat in an entire day.

Roast turkey 3 oz. 97 cal 0 carbs 17 protein

Lettuce (No dressing) 1 cup 10 cal 2 carbs

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/27/16 1:36 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

It keeps cutting off my post --- here's the rest:

Jell-O no sug pudding cup         50 cal         11 carbs          2 protein

1 vitamin water zero                   0 cal           4 carbs         0 protein

Swiss cheese 1 oz??                  91 cal            1 carb          6 protein

Triscuits (how many??) 6           120 cal          20 carbs       3 protein

1 can diet no caffeine ice tea         0                  0               0

Total lunch:  373 calories      39 carbs         29 protein

Again, carb heavy.  Cut out the crackers and the pudding and lose 170 calories and 31 carbs.

Moving on to dinner -- which is from 4:30 to the end.  You didn't specify the brand of the potstickers, so I used Ling Ling as they are verified accurate.  Also, you didn't say what kind of breadsticks - thus I used verified PLAIN baked breadsticks with no cheese, garlic or butter on them USDA stats.

6 chicken veg pot stickers            312 cal      47 carbs      14 protein

1/4 c strawberries                         12 cal         3 carbs      0 protein

1 cup decafe tea                              0               0               0

2-Slenda sweeteners                      8 cal          2 carbs      0 protein

1tsp 1% milk                                 2 cal         0  carbs      0 protein      

6 bread sticks                              540 cal        102 carbs     18 protein

Total dinner:     874 calories      154 carbs      32 protein

Again extraordinarily carb heavy.  Cut out the breadsticks and potstickers -- replace with lean meat, cheese, etc.

TOTAL FOR THE DAY:  1457 calories            227 carbs               68 protein.

There are very few of us that could maintain, let alone LOSE eating such a carb heavy diet.  Again, I stay under 40 for the WHOLE DAY.  Your protein is actually a bit low for a male and your calories may be okay for you to lose -- that is something you would have to play with.  

My advice:  Cut out the carbs.  Go under 50 at the very least.  WEIGH YOUR FOOD -- especially your dense protein.  Eat more meat, cut out the puddings, crackers, breads, etc.  

I will let the VETS give you further advice, but I would highly suggest that you will lose again easily if you simply cut the carbs down considerably.  I could never lose on what you are currently eating.

I hope I helped!  

NHPOD9
on 11/27/16 1:58 pm

Kat, you spent a hell of a lot of time giving excellent, solid advice. You're outstanding!

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

tg2013
on 11/27/16 1:59 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks Kat  You really seem to know your stuff .  I am not very happy with the Bariatric clinic I have at my disposal. They seem to be great in making sure the I's are dotted and the t's are crossed prior to the surgery but seem to have left me high and dry post surgery . I never received a call from them unless I initiated one . Now that I am unhappy and feel like the situation is becoming worse  they want me meet with them. I was at my GP today and he is very knowledgeable about bariatric surgeries etc. He recommended to me to stop going to see the dietitian  LOL

FYI  the bread sticks I use are a mini breadstick  Vita Vigor  is the brand 6 bread sticks are 11g of carbs ,60cal but only 2 protein

The pot stickers are called PC  which is a store brand for Loblaw's grocery stores inc

I guess my next question is what a 53yr old man who is 6'2" tall that has RNY surgery should have as a daily carb intake ?  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/27/16 2:12 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I have felt the same way about the Cleveland Clinic, frankly.  I just happened to be in a test program via the Endo department for insulin dependent diabetics -- and after being accepted as a candidate, I had to agree to a program designed to test the metabolic diet plan after RNY and it's long-term effect on diabetes remission.  Basically, it requires cutting out all fruits and carb heavy vegetables -- staying under 45 grams of carbs for life and over 80 grams of protein.  Every one of us that stayed in the program and followed the diet has lost 90% or more of their excess weight and maintained it.  Meanwhile, I have watched the great majority of people in my RL support group struggle to lose to their initial goal and many regain a large amount... all while following the dietician's advice in the main clinic.  

It's not fair.

Your question is good -- you certainly can eat more calories than I can -- I am only 5'5" (135ish pounds) -- so you definitely will require more food.  Still, I would stay under 50 grams of TOTAL CARBS per day -- at least until you lose to your goal.  Hopefullly Grim will come on and give you some advice about calories/carbs -- he is a man of similar age and size -- and a long term successful VET -- 

Good luck to you.

Thanks for being open-minded enough to consider  my post.  I really want you to get where you want to be.  

tg2013
on 11/27/16 2:32 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks again  

One more question   A RNY patient I met at the hospital recommended Protein Ice drink http://www.superhealthcenter.com/protein-ice.html

I did speak to the Clinic and they never heard of it  but yet it is for sale in our local stores

Please check out this product and let me know if you tried it or heard of it. I know we are not to drink our daily protein intake but I think it is a pretty good  supplement for days when I am low on my intake

Image result for Protein Ice Drink

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/27/16 6:18 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I haven't tried this -- the numbers aren't bad at 170 calories and 0 grams of carbs -- but the protein isn't optimal as it is a whey isolate blend --

More than that, at three years out, I have found it's counterproductive to drink our calories.  The key is dense protein.  Not only does it tend to be the most usable for our bodies for the least number of calories -- it is by far the most satiating.  

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/28/16 5:31 pm
These type of pre-mixed protein shakes are expensive. You'd be better off finding a good powder protein shake.

Scott
Laura in Texas
on 11/27/16 2:14 pm

Sadly most of our bariatric centers suck at aftercare. Even centers of excellence. Kat gave you good advice.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 11/28/16 5:29 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On November 27, 2016 at 9:59 PM Pacific Time, tg2013 wrote:

Thanks Kat  You really seem to know your stuff .  I am not very happy with the Bariatric clinic I have at my disposal. They seem to be great in making sure the I's are dotted and the t's are crossed prior to the surgery but seem to have left me high and dry post surgery . I never received a call from them unless I initiated one . Now that I am unhappy and feel like the situation is becoming worse  they want me meet with them. I was at my GP today and he is very knowledgeable about bariatric surgeries etc. He recommended to me to stop going to see the dietitian  LOL

FYI  the bread sticks I use are a mini breadstick  Vita Vigor  is the brand 6 bread sticks are 11g of carbs ,60cal but only 2 protein

The pot stickers are called PC  which is a store brand for Loblaw's grocery stores inc

I guess my next question is what a 53yr old man who is 6'2" tall that has RNY surgery should have as a daily carb intake ?  

We're pretty similar. I'm 56, 6'3", and 190 pounds.

First, don't judge what you can eat by what others do. I know some on here who maintain on 1800 calories, while others gain like crazy on that amount. Whatever your number is, that's what you need to do to reach your goal.

I weigh everything I eat, and log everything on MFP. So, I have all the exact numbers it provides. But I ignore fat, and don'****ch it. I sometimes get 150 grams of fat in a day. I also don't worry about protein, because I get plenty. I hit 200 grams almost every day. I frequently get 300, and hit 400 once in a while.

I'm not sure what my carb numbers are, because they are usually pretty low. When you really prioritize protein and stick to a calorie limit, carbs will have to be low.

What I really, really pay attention to is calories. The number that works for me this year may not work next year. It's a lifetime of adjustment.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.