3yrs after RNY and gaining weight.... Im sick and tired of being sick

tg2013
on 11/27/16 8:24 am - Ottawa, Canada

I had my RNY surgery 3 yrs ago in Ottawa On, Canada. I went into the surgery weighing close to 380lbs  two yrs after surgery I weighed 206lbs   Pretty good  or so I thought .  

I have experienced most post surgery complications from having 1/2 my new pouch covered with an ulcer. To having my gallbladder removed at the one year anniversary mark. Then I came down with a stomach infection from the gallbladder surgery followed by kidney stones . Surgeon said to me I was one in the few that get the majority of complications that one can get.

Between year two and year three post op I have regained 80lbs . I went back to the WLC and met with the surgeon who put a camera into my pouch to see if it stretched. She reported to me it still looks like it should, egg sized. I was then referred to a dietitian who after looking at my food journal cannot see any poor eating habits. The dietitian felt that I lost too much weight after surgery due to the complications and said that I was in the ball park of where I should be. I am discouraged and feel I did the surgery for no reason. They don't seem to think there is an issue. I do, During the first 24 months post op I was sick but I looked great and to be honest I felt pretty good other than the issues I was experiencing. 

I am currently being tested for Thyroid issues and my doc has me back on Victoza ( apparently that helps with weight gain ) I took Victoza for years before my surgery because of diabetes and I am tired of "sticking" myself every morning.

Since my surgery 3 yrs ago  I have been very active  mountain biking and golfing. I go skating in the winter   I do physical labour everyday at work .I don't cheat my diet . I eat like a bird The full feeling happens when I eat but doesn't last . I drink as much fluid I can. I take the correct amount of supplements everyday  so My question to you out there is...

Has weight gain happened to you even when you follow the "rules" of eating and exercising? Could I have some other ailment no one is looking for ?

Comments would be appreciated

White Dove
on 11/27/16 8:46 am - Warren, OH

Yep, the body is a smart animal and learns how to overcome the effect of being starved after surgery.  It learns how to absorb calories again and lowers its metabolism so that we gain and maintain weight even with eating less food and getting more exercise.

The only way around this is to eat dense protein, cut out most carbs, and weigh your portions before eating.  When you seriously track your calories, you will quickly find out that you are eating enough to maintain your higher weight.

The difference between 200 and 300 pounds can be as simple as a trip to McDonald's every day.  I gain if I do not weigh my food.  I always overestimate.  A $15 digital food scale from Walmart changed my life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

tg2013
on 11/27/16 8:54 am - Ottawa, Canada

Funny thing,  I do weight my food or I measure it every meal. no more than a cup of food per meal.

McDonalds is a very rare beast as they basically have nothing on the menu I would eat. I just hope my body decides to stop adjusting and levels out.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/27/16 9:05 am

Menu from a few days - what you eat - may help us to see if, by any chance, what you eat and not how much may be a reason for you gaining weight. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/27/16 9:03 am

Sometimes we eat more than we thing we eat. Or the wrong things. 

I know I have to give up grains and starches to lose weight. Some people can have a sandwich or pitta bread, or rice. I can't unless I want to gain weight. 

I can't have so calls "low net carbs" snacks and treats - like most protein bars or snacks.  The processed "fiber " - my body sees it as carbs and turns them into pure sugar. 

So what I eat to lose or maintain? Real food like meat, eggs, fish...and non starchy veggies. And good fat like avocado, nuts, butter...etc. 

When I avoid starches - not only I can eat more calories and maintain or lose, but I am also not hungry and a simple meal makes me full and keeps me full for a few hours. 

I.e. chicken sauted in coconut oil and butter with some non starchy veggies.. Cooked or steamed or raw ..things like zucchini, peppers. Califlower, broccoli, greens, cucumbers, celery, etc. I often add a side of avocado (1/2 or 1/3) to add good fat to my dish.. 

Making a very thick meat stew - is a perfect way for winter meal.. I use mostly non starchy veghies. Spices make a difference... 

I stay away from beans and stracht veggies unless I am at goal or below it. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tg2013
on 11/27/16 9:27 am - Ottawa, Canada

When I met with the WLC dietitian the other week we went over the food I eat I keep a daily food journal and  she was ok with my food choices . I do admit I eat a lot of protein and she suggested to eat a few more veg in a meal  but I'm not a huge veggie eater  never had been and probably wont change that.  I have to think the dietitian knows what she is talking about so  I don't think it's my diet. I have been reading about doing a stomach rest  and will talk to her about it next month when we meet again

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/27/16 9:53 am, edited 11/27/16 1:55 am

I have to disagree with you - I haven't met a dietitian *****ally know how our body deals with food post op RNY or any WLS. I dont think nobody knows and it is very individual.  If I eat what my WLS dietitian suggest I eat I would be back to over 200 lbs by now. As are some of my WLS friends who listen to her. And don't understand why it is not working for them. "When they are doing all the right things". 

Good luck to you. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/27/16 11:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I completely disagree with this as well.  In my experience, dieticians work from an understanding of the "normie" population and really don't understand that we, post-op and in maintenance can never eat by the recommendations for someone who has never been obese.

I am also three years out.  It's definitely harder now than it was even 6 months ago.  I weigh and measure everything -- never go above 950-1000 calories per day or over 40 -45 grams of carbs.  I definitely do NOT add veggies or fruits -- mainly eat protein.  I have tested many times (I have over 1000 days logged in MyFitnessPal) and once I go over 950 consistently, I slowly begin to gain.  I have thus far maintained a 220 weight loss by constantly adjusting for this.

Additionally, I also had major surgery in my second year -- last December to be exact. I also had a hard recovery. 

If you continue to do things the way you've always done them, you should expect to get the same results.  

Post some days from your food journal.  Let us see if we can possibly find some answers for you.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

tg2013
on 11/27/16 12:28 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks for the replies

You would think if your a dietitian hired by the bariatric clinic you would know more of the "bariatric issues" a patient would possible come across

Here is a typical day last week

6:30 am

1 cup of decafe tea  2 Splenda sweeteners and 1 tsp. of 1% milk 

7:30-9am  1 bottle 591 ml of vitamin water zero

9:30 am Breakfast  4 bagel bites   = 4g fat, 1 gm sugar, 8gms protein

10-11:30am  1 bottle 591 ml of vitamin water zero

11:30 am Lunch  3/4 cup Roast turkey salad  (No dressing) ,Jell-O no sugar added pudding = 3gm fat ,0gm sugar,12gm protein 

12- 2:30pm 1 bottle 591ml vitamin water zero

2:30pm  6- Swiss cheese and Triscuits = 6gm fat ,0gm sugar,3grms protein

3-4:30pm  1 can 355ml of diet no caffeine ice tea

5:30pm Dinner 6- chicken and veg pot stickers  (Boiled in water) 1/4 cup fresh strawberries = 6gm fat,2gm sugar 12gm protein

7pm  1 cup decafe tea  2-Slenda sweeteners ,1tsp 1% milk,  6 bread sticks = 1gm fat

10pm-5am 2 cups of water  

Menu for today

7am  1 cup decafe tea  2-Slenda sweeteners ,1tsp 1% milk

9am  Breakfast   3/4 cup scrambled eggs , 1oz ham

9:30am to 12pm  1 bottle 591ml vitamin water zero

12pm  Lunch 3oz  black pepper Asian beef  with Veg

12:30 - 3:30 1 can 355ml of diet no caffeine ice tea

5pm will be Dinner   I have some roast Turkey left over so probably will eat 2oz of turkey with 4 baby potatoes and some cranberries

7pm a snack of some sort  probably bread sticks  or cheese and crackers

My eating habits have changed so much in the past three years since my surgery . I find ( being single) I have lots of left overs when I cook so I tend to eat three to four meals of the same things in a row

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/27/16 1:29 pm, edited 11/27/16 5:31 am
RNY on 12/31/13