RNY to Distal RNY? Any success

White Dove
on 11/27/16 8:06 am - Warren, OH

The sad statistics on any revision are that people lose about 20 pounds and that is mainly from the pre-op liquid diet.  Carnie Wilson had a band placed over her bypass to restrict the stoma and lost 20 pounds and then another 10 with careful dieting.

We have one member, Ladytazz, who lost 100 pounds after her DS was converted to RNY.  She did not expect to lose any weight, but completely changed her eating.  I would try sending her a personal message. 

My experience with weight loss and regain is that I have to restrict calories to lose and losing is very slow and frustrating. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 12/1/16 5:41 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

That's some very strong points and I will be considering most of them carefully...thanks

Laura in Texas
on 11/27/16 8:08 am

If you are determined to revise to the DS, you should travel to a surgeon who actually has experience doing that surgery and does it well. If you need to save money before you do so, then do that. Do not "settle" for a surgery you do not want.

RNY to DS is an extremely difficult surgery and not something to play around with. People who get this done by a surgeon who does not know what he is doing have lifelong problems or die as a result of a bad revision.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

SkinnyScientist
on 11/28/16 4:49 am

"who does not know what he is doing have lifelong problems or die as a result of a bad revision."

-OMG!  This sounds frightening!!! Why do they even do them then? 

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/28/16 8:16 am

Because people are desperate to get thin. 

And complications can happen. Even for the best doctors, and best patients. Revision surgery needs to be treated as a last resort.  IMO - all WLS should treated as such. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 12/1/16 5:45 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

I was determined to go for the DS until Dr Greenbaum said he'd only do the distal...so that's why I'm seriously considering the pros and con's of each

Ladytazz
on 11/27/16 11:03 pm

I have heard it said that a distal RNY is the worst of both worlds, the RNY & DS.  You continue to get the dumping of the RNY (if you experience that) plus you get the problems of the DS (malabsorption of vitamins and protein, potential bathroom issues) and none of the benefits.

If you want a DS don't settle for less, and certainly don't settle for a distal RNY.  But know what you are getting into and be prepared for a lot of follow up.  And in the end, it matters more what you put in your mouth than what surgery you have.  If you have problems with refined carbs (like many of us) than no WLS in the world can help that.  All simple carbs are absorbed 100% no matter what surgery.  Many find that once they eliminate those the weight comes off without more surgery.  And be clear, a revision is major surgery.  My revision was open and I was cut from the bottom of my breasts to my pelvic area.  And I needed 2 hernia surgeries due to incisional hernias, which are pretty common after open surgeries.

Revisions are good if you are suffering from complications or mechanical failure of debilitating side effects from your WLS but purely for weight loss?  It will fare no better than the first WLS if you don't change your eating.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 12/1/16 5:53 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

I'm in the process of changing my eating through therapy and by logging everything that goes in my mouth...I have lost 28 this month by these two things alone...I am not able to exercise so its calorie control, protein, and fluids...if I can lose 28 a month for the next 3 months then I will decide against the revision...but I still want things in place for a revision as I originally wanted...just unsure which to aim for

Ladytazz
on 12/1/16 6:44 pm

Good for you!  I pray you keep on this course and your surgery continues to give you the strength to eat this way.

I don't exercise, either.  Just don't like it, I'm not going to lie. I do have physical things that make it harder but the truth is I hate exercising.  I am pretty active, though.  It's just if I call it exercise I will get a mental block, lol.

Anyway, I have lost all my excess weight and kept it off while being fairly sedentary.  Not advocating it at all.  In fact I am jealous of those who are able to stick with an exercise regiment.  But while exercising has a lot of benefits, weight loss isn't really one of them.  

Again, not advocating not exercising at all, just saying it is possible to lose weight and keep it off without becoming a gym rat.  

I sincerely hope you are able to make it work for you.  I have seen several people even many years out get back on track and make it work for them.  You still have your tool and it sounds like you are learning how to make it work for you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Valerie G.
on 11/30/16 4:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Do not let them convince you that a distal RNY is the same as the DS.  The livlihood isn't the same and the results aren't the same.  It's worth the travel

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes