Guidance on pre-op liquid Diet

Pinkfly
on 11/26/16 1:13 am

Well its official I'm getting my surgery Dec. 6, 2016 Woop woop. I have started my liquid diet but i'm so overwhelmed. They gave me a guide as to what I can and can't drink/eat. But I need more order. Can someone please tell me what is a good way to stay full with liquids so you're not wanting to eat?  Like how far apart should I be consuming the shakes, broths, water, Jell-o and so forth.  How did you guys do it? Also How or when should I stop for the day/night?

I won't be able to get ahold of the office till Monday so I can't ask them but any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Erika

Gwen M.
on 11/26/16 4:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think, in a way, it's good that my pre-op diet was just shakes.  I think I was allowed 5/day.  That made it easy since there were no choices.  Just shakes.  I spread them out evenly through the day.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Insert Fitness
on 11/26/16 4:28 am

I was allowed 4 shakes a day. Typically, I had them at 8am noon, 4pm, 8pm. Then I had the broth or jello in between those times if needed. I was on it for three weeks. Once I was in ketosis, it got quite easier.

good luck!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

jseemann16
on 11/26/16 6:06 am
RNY on 09/29/16

I was allowed 3 shakes and 3 snacks (jello,pudding,or broth ). I used the shakes as meals and snacks if needed in between. It does get easier after the first few days. Also drink as much as you want of liquids, this helps curb your hunger. Just keep the bigger picture in mind and your time will fly by!

Surgery 9/29/16 RNY.

HW 211  SW 188  CW 125 GW 135

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/26/16 6:41 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had my surgery on New Year's Eve  -- and due to my super morbidly obese status, I was required a bit more than three weeks on the liquid pre-op diet.  Mine consisted of 4 to 5 protein shakes (under 200 calories/10 grams of carbs/more than 15 grams of protein) -- and I was allowed broth, jell-O and sugar free popsicles.  I was also allowed "calorie-free" drinks, such as Crystal Light, etc.  I was supposed to avoid caffeine and soda, but they weren't actually forbidden.

I got through by using high-quality protein shakes (Syntrax Nectar) that I mixed with unsweetened almond milk or water (for the fruity ones) that I added a similar tasting Crystal Light.  I would make the shakes larger by adding more water or almond milk -- I drank a lot of fluids and bought and made good broth.  The savory of the broth really helped me get through.  Make no mistake, everyone struggles during the pre-op period.  You are not alone -- you are not the first -- and you CAN DO THIS.

Since my pre-op fell directly over the holidays, I really increased my misery during that time.  I am not going to lie -- the pre-op was arguably one of the most difficult times in this experience.  You asked how to stay full on liquids?  Truthfully, you will not.  You won't even stay full after surgery (well, after recovery from surgery) -- It's really just a matter of white knuckling through this part.  I promise it is worth it.

Looking back now, the pre-op period is such a small blip on the map of this experience... but it was a very important one.  You may find a lot of people who "cheat" during this time, but I did not.  It may be the only time in my entire obese history that I didn't.  I don't know if that actually made any difference in my liver or the surgery, but I do know it made a difference in my thinking.  I learned that I was stronger than my food addiction -- that I could do this and that I was fully committed to changing my life.  

Good luck to you.  You have a lot to look forward to.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cinderz
on 11/26/16 8:03 am, edited 11/26/16 12:04 am

Hello Pinkfly, 

Congrats on your upcoming surgery, I am one day ahead of you and will be having my surgery bright and early on December 5th!!! I am on day 20 of my 28 day liquid diet. I remember day 1, 2 and 3 thinking there was no way I was going to make it 28 days. Here I am...with 8 days left to go. I know there are a lot of differences in regards to the pre-op diet depending on where you are, but I'm also realizing even in the same area every surgeon has their own rules. I'm in Canada and had to purchase a 4 week supply of Optifast. Along with 4 optifast per day, I am only allowed to have 1 cup of broth (up to 10 calories) or 1 sugar free popcycle per day and sugar free/ calorie free drinks such as Mio and Crystal light and decaf coffee or tea. With that said, regardless of what you do, you're going to feel hungry for the first few days, and luckily it seems you only have just over a week of liquid diet, so before it gets unbearable you'll be having surgery 

As recommended, depending on your schedule I would to the 8, 12, 4 and 8 for your protein shakes ands use the broth, jello or popcycle as your snacks in between. I found for myself to get through the worst moments I would crush ice and pour Crystal light over it (more or less a home made slushy) and I would eat it with a spoon, mimicking eating and I found it really helped to trick my mind into thinking I'd eaten. Now on day 20 I no longer feel hungry at all and have to set an alarm to remember to take my shakes as they are important to get in my protein for healing after surgery.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and look forward to hearing about your journey

Pinkfly
on 11/27/16 10:36 am

Hello Again,

Thank you guys for replying you have really kept me at ease. I was afraid maybe I was doing something wrong but I seem to be doing the same as you all did. I'm such a worry-wart..