Help

Eggface
on 11/26/16 1:35 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

So sorry for your loss Kimberlyo. Good for you for reaching out. I encourage you to find a therapist in your area. I'd suggest AA meetings too but IMHO with your loss you probably want to chat in a more personal setting first or in addition too. 

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ 

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-local-aa?countryID= 

Numbing the pain is only temporary relief... and the problem is... problems/issues/"**** floats. You know that saying... "If you're going through hell, keep going" dealing with pain and finding a way to manage it in a healthy way... is the only true relief.

Sending you a cyber hug and wishes for brighter days. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/16 3:55 pm
Vinasu
on 11/26/16 9:36 pm
RNY on 08/10/16

I am so sorry. I can't even imagine what you are going through.

My DH is an alcoholic. He is currently on Naltrexone, a drug that prevents him from getting any more reward from several drinks than from two. In other words, no matter how much he drinks, it feels like he's had one or two drinks, so he's able to stop at one or two. It has likely saved our marriage.

Please see a therapist, but also speak to your PCP about other options to deal with the alcoholism.

My thoughts are with you.

HW: 250+ SW:215 (W leaving hospital: 224!)

CW: 138; DR GW: 166; MY GW: 130

M1: -20, M2: -8, M3: -14, M4: -11, M5: -8, M6: -5 M7: -7 M8: in progress

Heather_Austin
on 11/27/16 7:26 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Kimberly, hang in there - things will get better if you want them to get better.  Just like you had to make the decision to have WLS for better health, you have to make the decision to get help for your terrible loss and alcohol abuse.  

As you know, alcohol helps temporarily alleviate the pain and can help mask loss for a short while but it really makes things worse.  I know, I'm nearly 9 months sober and went to impatient treatment for alcohol abuse last March and now am part of AA.  

You have already taken the first step towards better mental and physical help by acknowledging you need help with coping with tragedy and daily life in a healthy way.  If you really want get better - you just have to act on it.  

The people that I see succeed are sick of living life as is and are ready to personally make a change because they want it for THEMSELVES!  

Like others have mentioned, support groups and AA are great help.  Just like this forum helps those of us with WLS, you will find a lot of people with similar problems that can help you get better through the programs mentioned in previous posts.

I can personally comment on AA.  The people in the organization are very welcoming and helpful.  You will find them very non-judgmental.  You don't have to be sober to go - you just can't bring alcohol in the building!  

NYMom222
on 11/27/16 2:47 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Just want to jump on give a {{hug}}.... I don't have anything to add to the great advice you have been given, you are not alone.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cheryl Denomy
on 11/29/16 10:11 am - Oshawa, Canada

I am so, so sorry for the loss of your son.  I cannot imagine what you're going through, as I've never lost a child -- but the fact that you're still here and fighting tells me you are more than likely a damn sight stronger than I would be in that situation.

As others have said, get as much help as you can from as many people as you can.  Go to meetings.  Get a therapist, if you don't already have one -- or a grief counsellor.  I did that after the death of my parents (which I am in no way comparing to the death of a child), and it helped immensely.

Here in Canada there is a group called Bereaved Families which is strictly for families who have lost children.  Compassionate Friends sounds similar and might be their equivalent in the U.S.  I can't encourage you enough to go there.  Some people I know who have lost children have attended them and said they helped immensely.

Know that others are thinking about you, rooting for you, and praying for you.