"This Is Us" Spoiler alert!

Teena D.
on 11/22/16 7:21 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I know there are a few fans on here. Just wondering what you think of Kate's announcement to have Gastric Bypass Surgery. I also wonder if Chrissy Metz is going to really have the surgery. 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Ladytazz
on 11/22/16 7:58 pm

I didn't know but I wouldn't be surprised if Chrissy is having the surgery as well.  I have seen some of her recent interviews and I definitely got that vibe.

I for one am happy to hear it as long as they show the reality of WLS.  I am hoping it will educate people who still think of it as the easy way out or cheating.

I was reading about how it was the intention of the writers for Kate to lose weight and that she would as well and I was hoping it would be through WLS since that would give her a better chance of keeping it of then if they showed her dieting and exercising her ass off only to most likely regain a few years down the road.

I just hope they keep it real and show the struggle that continues even after the surgery.  It doesn't remove the struggle, it only makes it a little more realistic to beat it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SkinnyScientist
on 11/23/16 4:22 am

You know, as I come out of my "WLS closet", I am surprised by how supportive acquaintances (i.e. NOT friends) are.  They say things like "You have kept it off for 3 years, so you are eating the right things and doing the right things".  I think WLS surgery has become mainstream enough that people have seen successes AND failures and are able to differentiate [no judgement on those who had artistically creative surgeons...who didn't do it right in the first place].

When I get netflicks and it comes available, I will be sure to watch.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

AnImperfectAngel
on 11/22/16 11:31 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

I'm so excited that she's getting wls. I've never seen this on a TV show before. It'll be interesting to see Hollywood's take on it.

I really don't get why she is breaking up with that guy though.

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/23/16 5:44 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I think she's breaking up with him cuz he doesn't want to lose weight anymore & she does & can't handle anyone else who is obese & doesn't want to lose weight. I think of it as 2 alcoholics/drug addicts. 1 wants to get sober, the other doesn't.

I thought keeping them together on the show would be a little more realistic. I think most people in life stay with people that aren't good for them in some ways but are good to them in some other ways, especially since they feel something for each other.

The guy feeling like he was being thrown away or being left behind is a reality for many people, just curious how that dynamic would've played out.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/23/16 4:20 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I love this show!  A lot of reality in it around weight struggles.  Like the last one when Kate encourages the boyfriend to go ahead and get a dessert, then watches intently as he eats each bite (that would have been me too). I would have gone home from that date and consumed everything sweet in the kitchen!

It would be good to see the character (and perhaps actress) have RNY, so that the audience can get a view into what WLS is like.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Teena D.
on 11/23/16 6:26 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

There was something in her contract that she has to lose weight as part of the show- not sure if it will be WLS or not. I hope they really do it right with the struggles, the waiting, the work involved. I hope they don't make it look easy.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

AK_Gipson
on 11/23/16 12:46 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

I read that her contract for the show included her losing weight. So she probably is getting it for real 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/23/16 5:31 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Well it would be interesting if they show the realities behind wls & not just the honeymoon period, also would be interesting to see who her support would be & if/how people change around her. Also it would be nice if they keep her & her boyfriend together & see how that played out., especially since 1 wants the surgery & to make the changes needed to make it work, & how the other doesn't want it & isn't ready to make changes now.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Laura in Texas
on 11/23/16 6:45 pm

In THIS article from October, Chrissy Metz said she would not ever have weight loss surgery. I wonder if she will do some sort of liquid diet to mimic the loss she would have if she had wls?

I love this show. I hope they do the storyline justice.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."