Tummy Tuck 260 pounds

Amanda W.
on 11/19/16 4:11 pm - Lebanon, KY

I have lost a bunch of weight.  I weigh approximately 260.  My poor stomach has so much skin hanging below my pelvic area.  It's disgusting.  And I have a large hernia that needs to be removed in my stomach also.  So first question is are there any plastic surgeons that'll do a tummy tuck at my size?  I prefer KY, TN, IN, OH, GA.  And would Insurance pay for a portion that covers the hernia?  Any advice appreciated!

-Flo-
on 11/19/16 5:52 pm
DS on 04/11/16

How much weight have you lost?

NYMom222
on 11/19/16 7:30 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Insurance is always a tricky question...No one can really give you an answer because it all depends on your policy. Look at your plan and see if there is a clause for skin removal...if they paid for your surgery there may be one. Some Plastic Surgeons will have another Doc come in to do the Hernia, and others will do it themselves... If your skin hangs low enough they may pay. Part of it is genetics. I just saw a picture of someone my Plastic surgeon just did who lost much less weight than I did, but her pannis(stomach) hung three times as low as mine did, yet her arms and legs didn't look that bad at all. Everyone is different.

Best thing is to first look at the policy, and if there is anything about skin removal, make a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon who participates in your plan and see what they have to say.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/19/16 9:47 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

What dr told you about your hernia - if a PCP - they should refer you to a surgeon and at least you can get that ins question answered. 

You can get a consult with a doctor, it is not a committment for him/her to do your surgery.  Doctors also do a phone consult so you can plan thin gs out. 

I think:  If you plan to lose more weight - you would prob not get your apron removed yet because you think it's disgusting - maybe if it limits your mobility or causes skin problems.  But these are things to talk out with a surgeon - try getting at least 2 or 3 consults so you understand different approaches and what would happen in the future if you got the TT now. 

RealSelf is a website for plastic surgery support - there may be others.  You can look a photos and find similar before pics and see what can be done.

White Dove
on 11/20/16 5:49 am - Warren, OH

Panniculectomy is often covered by insurance.  For my company, I would have needed documentation of having been treated for skin infections caused by the panni.

There are times when the panni is removed even before weight loss surgery.  This gives the patient the ability to be more comfortable and more mobile during the weight loss period.  That person might be over 400 pounds at surgery time.

The tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is when the apron of skin is removed and the muscles of the abdomen are tightened.  That is a procedure that is preferably done when the patient is at the weight that they plan to maintain within ten pounds for life.  It is a more cosmetic surgery and involves more pain and healing time.

By all means, discuss this with a plastic surgeon and get what you need to make yourself comfortable and healthier.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends