has anyone lost the weight after gaining it back? if so, how?

alwayswith0uty0u
on 11/19/16 9:45 am - PA

im 5 years out and went from 251 lbs down to 121 lbs, my current weight is 180 lbs.. After losing the comfort of food, i ran to alcohol so i know the weight gain is my own fault but im trying my best to get back up and dust myself off and get back on track but is it too late? not sure how the surgery works so is it possible to get back down to 121 lbs or did i destroy my last chance?

peachpie
on 11/19/16 10:01 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I think there is always an opportunity to get straight again. Even without surgery- but we know the odds are against us without surgery. Obviously you know you have to cut alcohol. Then back to basics-- protein first- limits carbs, don't drink with meals. It'll take longer-- but it can be done.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

alwayswith0uty0u
on 11/19/16 10:14 am - PA

ive been doing a lot of research into foods and drinks that will boost my metabolism and cut back on drinking (just started, fingers crossed) im praying that it is possible. 

White Dove
on 11/19/16 10:37 am - Warren, OH

I have gained and lost several times since surgery.  There is only one way to do it.  You have to eat less calories than you burn.  To figure out what you are burning, multiply your weight by 10.  At 180, you are burning at least 1800 calories a day.

To lose weigh you have to be realistic and understand that a pound a week is fantastic and two pounds a week is almost undoable.

To lose one pound a week, you would need to eat 1300 calories a day.  To lose two pounds a week, it would be 800 calories a day.  A pound a week will mean 60 weeks or more than one year.

You may find you are happy at some weight along the way and maintain that weight.  I have lost weight but never made it back to my post surgery lowest weight, but have come within two pounds.

If you decide to do it, then get a good scale and weigh daily and record your weight each week.  Track everything you eat and drink, ditch the alcohol, and get plenty of exercise.  It is actually easier than it sounds and the year will go by whether you spend it losing weight or not.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mary Gee
on 11/19/16 11:58 am, edited 11/19/16 4:01 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Looks like you've been away from OH for some time.  My suggestion is to stick around and read as much as you can on the General Surgery Boards and the Board for your specific surgery.  Might try the BOTT (Back On Track Together) Group.

Go back to the basics of the program you followed after you got through the initial post-op stage.

I haven't reached goal yet, but I'm not giving up.  When I eat properly, I still have restriction when I eat dense protein first, then veggies...  I've also joined Overeaters Anonymous and have gone back to my hospital's Post-Op Monthly Meeting Group.  I've also got an appointment set up to see a therapist.  I let Life get in the way; time for me to Stand Up and get myself straight.  Life goes on, and we have to accept the fact that we have to take control -- no one else can do it for us.  People can give support and advice - which you'll get here on OH - but we're in the driver's seat.

Best of luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/19/16 12:34 pm

Anything is possible. It will depend how badly you want that. You still have the tool. 

I regained 30 lbs. It took me a year to lose it and maintain. First 15 lbs was fast and rather easy..the last 10 lbs - it took like forever...I was so close to my goal that not only I was very comfortable with my size but I felt great. And the last 10 lbs was very stubborn to lose. My body was resisting. It took a long time and it required real dedication.  

I no only lost that but a few lbs more... So it is possible, 

During losing - I avoided sugar and starches. Grain (bread, rice pasta..etc) I also removed any "frankenfoods" - like protein shakes or bars. I ate real food - meat- fish, eggs and non starchy veggies. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 11/19/16 1:10 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track.  Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me... 

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker.  Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/16 1:44 pm, edited 11/19/16 5:47 am

yes you can lose weight totally healthily and naturally  . 

for me ... low carb and dieting doesnt work ( honestly i. would probably shoot someone ( and im not violent ) if they dared suggest modifications in my everyday diet. 

what i eat unlike many members here are complex carbs no fat at home and lots of gut -inspiring fresh veggies. personally i stomach very little meat ..but you may not b like me. all i know is i hav no problem with weight regain ... and i do drink because its fun . 

all that said I like Kathy's post . of course you have to move ... but it can be dancing at a rave or great everday sex.(((()) please keep us posted when U experiment .... we Really want 2 kknow..  hugs with total acceptance and true love and affection ((())))

NYMom222
on 11/19/16 7:36 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You can do this, you still have a tool. Go back to basics. Dense protein will keep you full longer. You can figure this out. See the link in my signature line- 5 day meat test...it can help you get back on track.....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

huskergalWsD
on 11/20/16 9:54 am

I am currently in the same position, I maintained my weight loss of 100 lbs for over 8 years, I am 9 1/2 yrs. Post Op now, recently regained 20 and working to take that off and a little more on my own. I have tried the 5 day pouch test. that's too hard...I am doing the weight loss at this time gradually. It seems to be working for me. I watch my FAT GRAMS per day ..I don't count calories because I believe your new stomach will limit you still. My Rny is still working I can tell. As I eat Whole Eggs and Potatos I get sick to my stomach.  I exercise very little and the weight comes off still as long as I cut way back on my fat grams per day. I try to not go over 30 grams of fat per day. Yay Rny still in tact for me..If I cut down on the fat grams I eat per day the weight starts coming back off and I add a lot of fiber each day. I eat fiber one cereal every morning.

Yep, I will be eating Turkey and everything else with that Turkey will be very low fat. I tweek a lot of recipes. I let myself go for about 4 months so I gained weight . Im back on my toes LoL Toes..I've lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks..and it stays off as long as I stay on track. NOT  stopping..I refuse to let my self regain all that weight...

Good Luck. Happy Thanksgiving...PeaceV ..Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~