How much weight history did your insurance company require ?

Mary Gee
on 11/18/16 6:10 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

My insurer required a one year history.  I basically drafted a letter for my PCP.  It included the fact that my records showed I had reached a high weight of 380 pounds and that I saw my doctors on a regular basis and discussed my weight issues and attempted several different weight-loss attempts...low-cal, low-carb, WW, Jenny Craig, etc.  Did not mention that usually the office visits dealt with pain and medication issues, but my weight was always documented and it usually came up during the visits; in other words, I wasn't seeing the doctor for my weight, but my weight was the major contributing factor to my poor health.  My PCP had no problem putting my letter on his letterhead and submitting it as he was very supportive of WLS.  It did the trick for me.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Donna L.
on 11/18/16 6:32 am, edited 11/17/16 10:32 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My insurance required barely information.  My bariatric program was a different story, though.  I have BCBS of IL through work.  Saw the surgeon in late April and had surgery in June.  It took more time to get all the bariatric center's clearances (most of which my insurance didn't care about) than to get surgical approval.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

rachelp
on 11/18/16 8:51 am, edited 11/18/16 12:51 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I have BCBS of New Jersey and they only required 2 nutritional visits before surgery. No history 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Vinasu
on 11/18/16 8:33 pm
RNY on 08/10/16

Like several other posters, my surgeon required a fairly extensive breakdown of my history of obesity and dieting. The surgeon also required a loss of 10% of my excess weight.

My insurance company, however, only required 3 months of professionally supervised dieting. They did not have weight loss requirements, nor did they question my weight history.

HW: 250+ SW:215 (W leaving hospital: 224!)

CW: 138; DR GW: 166; MY GW: 130

M1: -20, M2: -8, M3: -14, M4: -11, M5: -8, M6: -5 M7: -7 M8: in progress

AD_Jordan
on 11/19/16 10:54 pm

My insurance company wanted 2 years of weight history, which my primary care doctor provided on a form supplied by the bariatric office.

They also required 3 months of "medically supervised weight management" visits with the PCP, PLUS a consult and 3 monthly visits with the nutritionist.  At the end, I needed to weigh LESS than I had at the first bariatric consult.

There was a lot of incorrect information about the requirements, so I called the insurance company and asked for the link to their official policy. It had recently been updated. I gave the new link to all the doctor's offices so we were working with the latest data.

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/16 12:33 am - Eugene , OR
VSG on 04/17/17

I have HMA of Oregon. Requires 6 visits with a dietitian however I heard and read in plan book you can get away with three. Meaning a sooner approval if  the doctor allows it. I'm on my 5th in December and my 6th beginning of Jan. However I have completed all requirements except pre-weight loss. My body won't go below a certain point and I've been stuck for 2 months and eating almost next to nothing it seems. I saw the physc doctor on sunday. Now just nutrition classes two of them I think. Wait for the team to come together and crossing fingers I can have my surgery before the end of the year. Actually my 40th birthday! 

Deanna798
on 11/23/16 6:54 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Every policy is different.  When I first had interest in WLS, my UHC Policy had 6 months of supervised diet and to go through their bariatric program.  My husband changed jobs and though we had UHC with his new job, the requirement for this policy was 5 years history with a BMI 35+ with comorbidities or 40+ for the whole 5 years with no comorbidities.

the policies can vary, even with the same insurance company over different policies.  Your best bet is to contact your insurance company and find out exactly what it required for your policy.  That way, you won't get any surprises.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Laura in Texas
on 11/23/16 7:13 am

Way back in 2008, my insurance required one weigh in a year at a doctor's office for 5 years.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."